Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Urban design graphic standards

  1. #1
    Member
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16

    Urban design graphic standards

    I'm looking for a good reference book for urban design/planning graphic standards. We have the Architectural Graphic Standards book in our office, however, knowing the dimesions of a toaster or the height of a standard interior lamp seldom does me much good.

    What I'm after is a book covering such topics as turning radii for variety of vehicles, design principles, solar orientation, road standards, stormwater, etc. - in a nutshell all the things I deal with daily.

    Any suggestions of some good / worthwhile books?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian inzane's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    31
    The city of Overland Park Kansas has on design guidelines that cover some of the things that you are looking for. They have commercial, infill, and multi-family. Try downloading them it may help.
    http://www.opkansas.org/_Bus/Zoning_...ing/infill.cfm
    good luck
    “I injured a rock… Hospitalized a brick… I’m so bad I make medicine Sick!!!!”
    Muhammad Ali

  3. #3
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,740
    Blog entries
    3
    I think Baud is talking about geometry rather than architectural and site design. Regardless, Overland Park has excellent architectural, signage and and site design regulations; if you're looking for that sort of thing, OP is a good place to start, as is the large incorporated municipality to the southwest whose name shall remain unmentioned on this site.

    Anyhow ...



    They will pry my copy of of Urban Planning and Design Criteria, by Joseph Chiara and Lee Koppelman, from my cold, dead hands.

    It's been out of print for a long time, but you can find used copies through Amazon. Be forewarned that the book does reflect 1960s/1970s era philosophy for street design.

    For el Guapo. RUGGED!

    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  4. #4
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    They will pry my copy of of Urban Planning and Design Criteria, by Joseph Chiara and Lee Koppelman, from my cold, dead hands.
    AWESOME. I've got the 1st edition sitting on my desk, well-thumbed. Unbeleievably useful as a starting point. I've drawn all over it where I disagree with the dimensions (particuarly the streetscape sections!)

    NOONE MAY TAKE IT FROM ME.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Howard Roark's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Where ever you go, there you are
    Posts
    276
    There is the "Time Saver Standards for Urban Design" published by.. who else McGraw Hill. It is ok, there are some good basic dimensions in there, and alot of other information from notables like William Whyte, Lynch and others

  6. #6

    Reference books

    Quote Originally posted by Baud
    I'm looking for a good reference book for urban design/planning graphic standards. We have the Architectural Graphic Standards book in our office, however, knowing the dimesions of a toaster or the height of a standard interior lamp seldom does me much good.

    What I'm after is a book covering such topics as turning radii for variety of vehicles, design principles, solar orientation, road standards, stormwater, etc. - in a nutshell all the things I deal with daily.

    Any suggestions of some good / worthwhile books?

    Thanks.
    Your state DOT should put out something titled "roadway design standards". This would have road design criteria and formla, driveway radii based on land use. They should also have a reference titled "stormwater design guide". In Ohio ODOT puts these publications out and sends updates periodically. The turning templates may be put out by your DOT also. You may want to slightly modify these standards as they mainly apply to highways under the DOT's jurisdiction. But these should be a good start and most of the dimensions given are tried and true and updated as the vehicles increse in size (SUV's). I can send you a link to ODOT's website where these standards are if you would like.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

  7. #7
    Cyburbian dogandpony's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    84
    Timesaver Standards for Landscape Architecture is great! a bit pricey at $150, but worth it.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...838208-5690503

    here's a search site that can find books for less Pricescan.com. Amazon doesn't discount this particular title, but other online sellers do.

  8. #8

    Timesaver standards for Landscape Architecture

    Quote Originally posted by dogandpony
    Timesaver Standards for Landscape Architecture is great! a bit pricey at $150, but worth it.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...838208-5690503

    here's a search site that can find books for less Pricescan.com. Amazon doesn't discount this particular title, but other online sellers do.
    Walmart.com has it for $141.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/searc...e&ics=20&ico=0
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

  9. #9
    Member
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I think Baud is talking about geometry rather than architectural and site design. Regardless, Overland Park has excellent architectural, signage and and site design regulations; if you're looking for that sort of thing, OP is a good place to start, as is the large incorporated municipality to the southwest whose name shall remain unmentioned on this site.

    Anyhow ...



    They will pry my copy of of Urban Planning and Design Criteria, by Joseph Chiara and Lee Koppelman, from my cold, dead hands.

    It's been out of print for a long time, but you can find used copies through Amazon. Be forewarned that the book does reflect 1960s/1970s era philosophy for street design.

    For el Guapo. RUGGED!


    Dan,
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! I've also looked at a few other recommended books, including "Urban Design: Methods and Techniques", "Urban Design Handbook", and "Time Saver Standards"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Sep 2012, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 May 2005, 4:07 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Jul 2001, 9:00 PM
  4. Cul-de-sac design standards
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Jul 2000, 6:44 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Nov 1998, 10:33 PM