Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Code enforcement

Registered
    May 2005

Code enforcement

How do you guys handle property maintenance violations (i.e. tall grass, debris, etc)? Just notices of violation?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Wood
    How do you guys handle property maintenance violations (i.e. tall grass, debris, etc)? Just notices of violation?
    We have an entire division dedicated to code enforcement and property maintenance. They will first get a letter of violation and time frame in which to fix the problem. If the problem is not addressed (not always necessarily fixed) within that time frame, depending on the situation, another letter may be sent or a summons for court appearance. We take several issues to court, usually an extension by the judge is granted, in some cases a fine.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I send it to the Code Enforcement officer.... yes, only ONE officer...

They usually send a letter, but they aren't proactive and only work if a complaint is filed...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I send it to the Code Enforcement officer.... yes, only ONE officer...

They usually send a letter, but they aren't proactive and only work if a complaint is filed...
    Tell Stan to get off his ass then

Registered
    Aug 2001
    See this thread too, and I use a standardized format that informs the property owner of the ordinance, I insert my violation description along with a compliance date. we give tall grass and weeds five days, open storage of junk or inoperable vehicles get ten days. I've had folks call me wanting to talk about my love letters
    For first contacts I delete the bit about abatement and charges, I rarely look up phone numbers for every letter, I send about a hundred a month. I've started to include the helpful fight ignorance type of information too. I get a lot of calls and if it is handy I will give a courtesy call upfront to some instead of a letter, Usually businesses or someone I've already been in contact with.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Code enforcement revenue
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 3:47 PM
  2. Code enforcement vs. planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 6:53 PM
  3. Code Enforcement
    Land Use and Zoning