Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Teach the children: need help with "Planner in School" program

Teach the children: need help with "Planner in School" program

Hello:
    I need to assemble a program that area planners can take into chools. I have worked before with Kid City. Please tell me of good programs that you are familiar with. I hope to find something whole that can just have a local twist put on it.
    Derek Chisholm AICP
    360-397-2375 (4909)

derek.chisholm (at) clark.wa.gov

Moderator note:
    (Dan) Spambots regularly crawl Web sites looking for e-mail addresses. I munged the e-mail address, so you don't get more spam by posting here; it's human readable, but a spambot won't recognize it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I donít remember the program, but there was a guy who was explaining planning to kids, and had them make a massive land use map of the city. He had printed out a few street maps in sections, but on a very large scale.

He also had stickers with the logos of several business and ordinations that he placed on the map, and hand the kids try to figure out the land for that area. He found that this hands-on practical method helped the kids to better related to what planning was all about.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Urban Land Institute

The Urban Land Institute has a program they have used in LA and some other places called UrbanPlan. Its a curriculum designed to make people see all sides of a planning issue - from the developer to the neighbor to the planner to the Mayor. It seems fairly unbiased although some planners may not agree. The drawback is that it takes money to implement it- but it might be worth looking into for some ideas:

http://www.urbanplan.org/UP_Home/UP_Home_fst.html

Quote Originally posted by Derek
    Hello:
    I need to assemble a program that area planners can take into chools. I have worked before with Kid City. Please tell me of good programs that you are familiar with. I hope to find something whole that can just have a local twist put on it.
    Derek Chisholm AICP
    360-397-2375 (4909)

derek.chisholm (at) clark.wa.gov

Moderator note:
    (Dan) Spambots regularly crawl Web sites looking for e-mail addresses. I munged the e-mail address, so you don't get more spam by posting here; it's human readable, but a spambot won't recognize it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    You might want to take a look at your state's academic standards, probably Civics, Social Studies, Environment and Ecology, and Geography. They will give you a place to start, and the teachers will be more inclined to use your lessons if they meet state standards.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You might want to check out this from the CIP.

http://www.cip-icu.ca/English/institute/cip_kg.PDF
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Planning for Kids

Some good books and guides out there...

APA: Youth Participation in Community Planning (PAS Report 486)

Public Information Guide IX: Teaching kids about planning

There is also an article about some planners in Nevada that run a program as well

Check out the The Western Planner
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I know this is an older thread, but it seems like we all go and do the school lecture thing from time to time, and I just ran across a website with lots of tools.

Link to Scenic America's web list of Kid-oriented planning programs.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 May 2012, 12:24 AM
  2. Replies: 51
    Last post: 20 Aug 2011, 10:57 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jan 2011, 9:02 PM
  4. "Main Street" program advice
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 26 Jun 2008, 1:29 PM