Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fence setback

Fence setback

The local city-county council is interested in examining a setback requirement for fences. Does your city/county use setbacks for fences? If yes what is typical setback in residential areas?

Thanks.

Paul Schoninger
    paulas@lfucg.com
    (859) 258-3208
    (859) 258-3838 FAX

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    In my community, fences that are 30 inches in height or greater can be along the rear and side property lines, but not within the 25 foot front yard setback. My first exception/variance case was for somebody who wanted to place the traditional white picket fence across his front yard. . . DENIED. Rough city.

Registered
    Jul 2002

front yard

The front yard here (Manhattan, KS) is any yard that abutts a street. So, corner lots have 2 front yards. . . this is where most of the exceptions/variance requests come from.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    We do not have any fence setback regulations - they can go right on the property line. Of course, I always advise them that they *really* should make sure where the property line is

We allow for fences to be on the property line, but they must get each neighbor who abuts the fenced in area to sign off on it. If they don't sign off, we try and work out any issues.

It is more of a courtesy thing than actually getting permission. Sometimes I will get a call from an angry neighbor who refuses to sign off. When I tell them that they really can't stop them from erecting the fence, I am often faced with the predictable comment "why do you even give us the option to sign when the fence can go up anyways?"
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    We do not have any fence setback regulations - they can go right on the property line. Of course, I always advise them that they *really* should make sure where the property line is
    Yeah... that and if there are any utility easements along the fronts of their yards they may come home one day to find their fence on its side with some fresh dirt piled around it. I've seen it happen, it isn't pretty!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Aug 2010, 6:57 PM
  2. Golf course fence setback requirement
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Feb 2010, 3:51 PM
  3. Fence regulations
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 10:11 AM