Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Non-specific scene on new quarter proves to be specific.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Non-specific scene on new quarter proves to be specific.

I wonder, if our Governor Bill Owens (R-CO) really knows the state he governed over for the past couple years. This week, Colorado chose our State Quarter, to be released by the U.S. Mint in 2006. Out of five designs, Owens decided on one that wasn't a specific place in Colorado, just a "generic" mountain scene to emcompass the beauty of the entire state. Well upon its release yesterday, the quarter looked mighty framiliar to a number of people up here in the north country.
    Full Article

I just thought it was interesting, and thought I would share with all of you.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Chimney Rock Quarter

Nebraska's Governor announced yesterday that the Nebraska Quarter would be Chimney Rock with a covered wagon.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I just thought it was interesting, and thought I would share with all of you.
    Cool! I've got my handmade Longs Peak coffee mug by me now, too. I'm glad they didn't use Pikes Peak; that would have been such a cliche. It would have been cool if they used Horsetooth, though.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Cool! I've got my handmade Longs Peak coffee mug by me now, too. I'm glad they didn't use Pikes Peak; that would have been such a cliche. It would have been cool if they used Horsetooth, though.
    I would have loved to see the Air Force Academy chapel on the CO quarter.

<sigh...>

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Personally I like the photo. The thing that throws me is that the Gov. did not want a specific place of the coin, but then chose the back view of Long's Peak (which I can see from my office ) The Rocky Mountain News showed all five final coins yesterday, I liked the skier more personally, but that is also my thing.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mileage2762004
    Nebraska's Governor announced yesterday that the Nebraska Quarter would be Chimney Rock with a covered wagon.

Chimney Rock? That's it? I thought it might be something like the license plates about 2 or 3 designs ago. I guess. Maryland only had the cupola of the State House on its quarter design. I thought the Chesapeake Bay Bridge would've been perfect to 'bridge' (pun intended) the urban western shore and the rural eastern shore.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    Chimney Rock? That's it? I thought it might be something like the license plates about 2 or 3 designs ago. I guess. Maryland only had the cupola of the State House on its quarter design. I thought the Chesapeake Bay Bridge would've been perfect to 'bridge' (pun intended) the urban western shore and the rural eastern shore.
    Good pun. Personally, I like the Chimney Rock design the most out of the 4 finalists. The Standing Bear one I felt was too general and didn't represent Nebraska only, the other two were too eastern oriented.

Registered
    Mar 2004

well.....

Personally I like the photo. The thing that throws me is that the Gov. did not want a specific place of the coin, but then chose the back view of Long's Peak (which I can see from my office ) The Rocky Mountain News showed all five final coins yesterday, I liked the skier more personally, but that is also my thing.
    Of the choices: Mesa Verde National Park, Pikes Peak, a skiing alpine soldier representing the 10th Mountain Division and a Maroon Bells landscape.

Mesa Verde would have been great
    Pikes Peak....blah.....and played out......
    The skiing alpine soldier is a joke in my opinion...maybe for New York, where the 10th is now stationed....but that was a tiny little piece of history and they took off soon after the war.....so it deserves 0 consideration I think.....
    Maroon Bells is the most photographed place in the state and played out......

MY choice would have been a view of the Sangre De Christo Mts. looking over the Sand Dunes Nat. Park You get 3 fourteeners (Kit Carson, Crestone Needle and Crestone Peak) in that shot with the Dunes and a highland shrub in the foreground.....hell, even with a deer.....so many choices though.....GLAD TO SEE THEY WENT WITH THE GENERIC SHOT Why even bother.....!!!!!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2003
    What are the Maroon Bells?
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    What are the Maroon Bells?
    Here you go. They are near Aspen. I remember some contraversy regarding the state of Utah using this photo in one of their tourism brochures.

Quote Originally posted by The One
    Of the choices: Mesa Verde National Park, Pikes Peak, a skiing alpine soldier representing the 10th Mountain Division and a Maroon Bells landscape.

Mesa Verde would have been great
    Pikes Peak....blah.....and played out......
    The skiing alpine soldier is a joke in my opinion...maybe for New York, where the 10th is now stationed....but that was a tiny little piece of history and they took off soon after the war.....so it deserves 0 consideration I think.....
    Maroon Bells is the most photographed place in the state and played out......

MY choice would have been a view of the Sangre De Christo Mts. looking over the Sand Dunes Nat. Park You get 3 fourteeners (Kit Carson, Crestone Needle and Crestone Peak) in that shot with the Dunes and a highland shrub in the foreground.....hell, even with a deer.....so many choices though.....GLAD TO SEE THEY WENT WITH THE GENERIC SHOT Why even bother.....!!!!!
    As I recall, I saw soldiers (from the 10th I was told) Training at Ski Cooper outside Leadville in the 90s. I did not know they moved to NYS.

As for the generic shot, I think I pointed out that it turned into being a very specific shot. Still, you make some good points, and while I like the quarter, my state could have done a lot better.

-Peart

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Here you go. They are near Aspen. I remember some contraversy regarding the state of Utah using this photo in one of their tourism brochures.

As I recall, I saw soldiers (from the 10th I was told) Training at Ski Cooper outside Leadville in the 90s. I did not know they moved to NYS.

As for the generic shot, I think I pointed out that it turned into being a very specific shot. Still, you make some good points, and while I like the quarter, my state could have done a lot better.
    Nice photo, can the mint do it in color on a quarter? j/k

Registered
    Aug 2003
    I would have bet money CO would have selected a columbine with mountains in the background.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    I got an airmiles (a Canadian travel program) booklet in the mail the other day that is devoted to travel in Canada. Right on the *cover* of the travelogue: Yosemite National Park. Uh...hello?! And I always hear so much from Canadians about how little Americans know about their country... sheesh.

Registered
    Mar 2004

more likely....

The troops you may have seen, were most likely from the Air Forces special forces group (division? brigade?) out of Ft. Carson. They train every year in the mountains with high altitude skiing and climbing. Most recently, they conducted war games in Park County (2001-2002), but now they are off in the middle east somewhere..... Oddly enough and many of you right wing types may not believe this after reading some of my previous posts, but I was a hairs breath away from joining the Army in 1989, but back then, they couldn't guarantee I'd be in Alaska skiing.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Geographically-Specific Stuff
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 7:01 PM
  2. Different/specific big box question.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Apr 2007, 1:35 PM
  3. How specific are your memos?