Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Critters You Do Not Want In Your House

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Critters You Do Not Want In Your House

Another thread had a discussion going on about racoons that had moved into a house. While Cyburbia residents were discussing the pros and cons of getting those things out of the house QUICKLY, this Bear had a critter visit, too.

Wednesday morning, about 2:00 AM, walking through the dark living room to visit the bathroom. A bat flies past me!

Yuck!

Then, my step-son and I tried for about three (3) hours to find where the little critter went. We were shaking curtains, hitting blinds with brooms, moving furniture. We could not find that xxxxxx.

My cats started to stare at a big black leather chair. We looked under the chair. When I moved it the bat squeeked. Ugh!

Michael (step-son) and I quickly duck taped the loose webbing under the chair, effectively trapping the bat in the chair. Then, as daylight broke, we rolled the chair out of the front porch and on to the front lawn.

We removed the bottom webbing. When I came home this evening I put the chair in the garage. Katie says she will not use it into I can prove the little xxxxxx is not in the chair.

Where is Katie Holmes when you need her?

Anybody ever had such fun with bats or racoons or skunks or relatives?

Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da......Bear Man........
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Why do I have a vision of "The Great Outdoors" in my head?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ask Trail Nazi about her bat encounter. She had to have rabies shots.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Bear, I once had a bat in my house. I was told from both animal control and a couple of biologists in my office told me that if a bat gets in the house it is usually (99% sure) that it is rabid. I had to go through a series of rabies shots even though it did not bite me because it hissed and spit at me - which is another way of passing rabies around. The shots really suck. My arms were so dead after I had the shots. Looking back on it, the story about the whole incident was hilarious.

Anyway, I do not want any snakes, rabid bats, roaches or anything else like that in my house.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    I've had a few critters that I would have rather not had. I've had a rabid fruit bat but my family didn't learn we were supposed to get rabies shots until a few years afterwards. I've had squirrels on multiple occasions, a praying mantis, and a bird get stuck inside a wall inside the house. Fortunately, the big critters like moose and coyotes have always remained outside in the yard.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We have a family of armadillos living under the back porch. The little ones are actually kind of cute in a prehistoric way. The dog goes bananas when they come out and walk like a mother duck and duckies...all in a row. I think it is funny the way the little ones look back at the chained up dog...as if to say...can't get us.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had an adolescent woodpecker fly into the house through an open door. I knew her parents, though, so she let me pick her up and carry her outside. Other than that, I have only had mouse problems in the old farmhouse.

There was the Scruffy incident, but that was outside.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    There was the Scruffy incident, but that was outside.
    If we would google "The Scruffy Incident", what would we learn?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Let's see, we had tarantulas and sun spiders in our house in the Mojave Desert. Coyotes dug through our trash. We had a poisonous baby snake in the backyard that Mr. Zone relocated to a more rural part of the desert. We had a dead scorpion on our front stoop and a live one on the back stoop. In Kansas, we had huge carry-your-toddlers-off-and-eat-them wolf spiders in the house. And other large hunter (not web-building) spiders.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    . In Kansas, we had huge carry-your-toddlers-off-and-eat-them wolf spiders in the house. And other large hunter (not web-building) spiders.
    We have huge spiders here, too. Banana spiders, about 6" across, and gray spiders about 4 " across. All creepy. But nothing rivals huge palmetto bugs/roaches.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    We have huge spiders here, too. Banana spiders, about 6" across, and gray spiders about 4 " across. All creepy. But nothing rivals huge palmetto bugs/roaches.
    I was in the ER one night when a mom was there with a toddler who had apparently been bitten by a big wolf spider -- you could see the big holes it left -- and the kid had half his torso swollen. I had a preschooler and a kid in early elementary (who was always the smallest child in his class). I actively hunted down the wolf spiders when they got into our house, no matter how long it took.

But, agreed: huge flying roaches still make me scream. Coyotes and such are more acceptable.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I remember a particular summer when I was young, probably about eight or nine years old, when we discovered four copperhead snakes in our basement and another three in the yard. My dad quickly ended their slithering with the use of a garden hose but non-the-less Iíve had a thing about snakes ever since.

Registered
    Mar 2003

I Hate Bats

Have I said recently just how much I hate bats.

YES Bear there are BAT stories...

My Batscapades are all chronicaled there...

I am so creeped out and screaming..... (search for bats)

We still refer to the sunporch as the BAT CAVE.

We thought we had gotten rid of them when we closed off the hole but alas I heard the B*$tards last week.

The smell is just hideous when the temp goes up.

Have I said how much I hate bats..............
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    There's something crawling around in the ceiling here. The cat can hear it. Snarf isn't taking to kindly to whatever is up there.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    If we would google "The Scruffy Incident", what would we learn?

Bear
    I found a baby raccoon under a tree in my yard a year or two ago. Prudence tracked down an animal rescue shelter that would accept it.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I can name two and there here right now.. The X and her dog.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Last night when the dog decided to piss the bed, he was a critter I did not want in my house...

We took him to the "camp" for a long weekend last weekend and he has been a jerk ever since we brought him back.

Last summer a lizard came in the house and we kept him for a while (until he was stepped on) so he would eat the cucarachas

Also, a few years ago we brought home a christmas tree into my mothers house and it had a squirrel in it! totaly a la 'Christmas Vacation'. ... we finally chased him out the door with a broom.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ok maybe im nuts but we are putting bat houses in my backyard.

I like most critters-save for things with more than 6 legs,
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Mrs G was changing the A/C filter last year and had quite a scare when a bat came out with the filter. Actually in the filter

Let's just say I heard the commotion from afar
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Bats bats bats

Last year on two seperate occasions bats found their way into my house. Both times I caught and released them with a big bed sheet.

This year, one was darting around on the inside and scared my wife.. As I turned on lights and directed him towards an enclosed room.. he disappeared.. I can't find him anywhere.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    3 bats in 4 years at my old place....1 was released alive out a window, one met the end of a broom, the other a tennis racquet and a cat.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I don't think I'd like any critters in my house, unless they're the domesticated kind. Even then I'm not completely sure...

I haven't had any major critter scares. I can remember twice when I was a kid that we had a bat in the house, and dad whacked those gross little things with tennis rackets.

I remember a bird incident, too- dad and brother scrambling all over the house, and mom and I laughing like idiots. Thats where I get my helpful genes from.

Even spiders creep me out- and (thankfully) we don't have those huge tropical flesh eating varieties. There was a TEEEEEEEENY one on my desk yesterday (my cleaning up must have roused it from its den..) and I shrieked, forcefully calmed my self down and tried to strategize the best way to squash it. I didn't want it to jump onto my face or something- I would have had to go home early.

A few weeks ago there was a daddy-long-legs in my shower with me. I saw this dark thing on the opposite wall, and without glasses/contacts I had to get REALLLLY close to see what it exactly was. It was two inches from my face until I recognized what it was. EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Unless it swims in an aquarium and looks like Nemo, I don't want any animals or insects of any kind in my house.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Haven't had any large critters in the house. The other weekend a baby sparrow was found sitting right at the side door - we called animal control and hopefully it can be rehabilitated. We do have some small spiders and the occassional millipide (Mrs. Tranplanner hates those). We have lots of squirrels in the backyard, and the occassional raccoon and skunk.

When gutting the back bedroom last year I found that almost the entire lower half of the window ledge and sides had been eaten away by insects - when the previous owners had replaced the window (I'm assuming the old wood frame window had fallen victim and had to be replaced) they didn't bother replace anything else. Luckily, whatever had caused the damage (carpenter ants is my guess) had long since disappeared.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    You guys are giving me the creeps!!! I don't mind critters out in the woods but all these bat and spider stories are giving me the willies...if I ever saw a bat in my house I know full well, I would pack the boys up and head to my parents...no way could I kill it, I get freaked out about spiders. I am afraid I will go to smash it with a shoe (or whatever) and miss and it will jump on me and bite me call me crazy but I just cannot handle critters in the house!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 24 Mar 2011, 2:25 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Jun 2010, 10:40 PM
  3. What should I do to buy a house?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 53
    Last post: 20 Mar 2006, 5:06 PM
  4. I am looking for my first house!