Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Affordable housing web site

Registered
    Mar 2004

Affordable housing web site

Anyone seen this Colorado clearing house web site for affordable housing?
    Too bad its about 9 years late and hits a buyers market in Colorado Last I read in the WSJ, the Denver market is +1.7% this year, up from about +0.7% last year. I think this is a good idea that should be expanded to include financing program information and specific bottom line costs, monthly payment, estimated taxes, utility costs and the whole picture.

I found this on the apa web site today under recent newspaper articles:

http://www.coloradohousingsearch.com...content=Search
    Skilled Adoxographer

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005

Affordability

I searched the linked site for properties to buy and the lowest priced house available is more than $130k. That may sound reasonable to you Califloridians but it is just out of reach for low income households.

Using Hispanic households as an example:

In 1999, the median household income for Hispanics was $30,700 (United States Census Report 2004). On that income, the maximum price of an affordable house at 5% interest on a thirty-year note is $91,634 (Fannie Mae Mortgage Calculator 2004).

Here in Iowa, I can find you a three-bedroom in a rural community with stable employment for $26k (disclaimer: I have this house for sale myself at that price). My current house is in a larger town (pop. 15,000) and is a four-bedroom that cost $35k.

Both properties are liveable but could be accurately classified as "fixers" In reality, a house affordable to the low income population is typically a fixer. The linked site did not show any of that class of property.

In my current town, it is not unusual for people with regular employment to lose property purchased in the $60k to $100k range. There are two foreclosures bordering my lot.

My point is that a website purporting to enable affordability has to try a little harder if it intends to become a resource for those most in need.
    Last edited by pcflvly; 09 Jul 2005 at 10:51 AM. Reason: word choice

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Sep 2010, 8:01 AM
  2. The problem with affordable housing
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 23 Feb 2007, 10:08 AM
  3. What to do about affordable housing?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 35