Urban planning community

Poll results: What's the better MIssouri city ... The Lou, or KCMO?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • St. Louis

21 55.26%
  • Kansas City

17 44.74%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: City vs City #1 - St. Louis vs Kansas City

Registered
    Sep 2002
    ST LOUIS

Originally posted by BKM
    You guys are way too tame.

Has anyone ever visited the skyscraperpage forum? THEIR debates involve rpomises of "slapping you upside the head" for dissing various cities. The LA versus New Jersey debate was particularly entertaining.
    Yeah, it's quite entertaining....
    Check this out:

Originally posted by AtlantaSky5
    I hate Chicago!

- The Real World cast was a joke! Talk about people putting on acts! Arg...what a waste of a season.
    - I don't understand why people say the skyline is great? It is just as mixed up as Atlanta is. You have a tall buildings and then a lot of short....then SUDDENDLY another tall building. Skyline isn't awful, but definatley not anything special.
    - AT&T just sucks period!
    - The tallest box in the U.S. continues to make the skyline an eyesore.
    Originally posted by Hof
    I hate LA!
    It's miles and miles of cheezy neighborhoods,clotted freeways and huge factories.No real city,just a lot of...nothing,punctuated here and there with some nice places.Totally owned by the car,it's a hundred suburbs in search of a city,a big blob of sprawl in a septic bowl of pollution,a beautiful slice of geography,forever spoiled.
    Phoenix is Nowhere,a lost opportunity,a place with no center.It's miles of boring,walled-off subdivisions with dirt lawns,baking in a relentless blast of sunshine.The most scenic parts of the place-the stunning mountains that surround the Valley-,vanish each morning into the haze and auto-induced pollution,giving one the sensation that he is on the urbanized Moon.
    Detriot...
    The oxidized buckle of the Rust Belt.It used to hold up some Important Pants.Now,those tattered pants hang around Michigan's ankle.The new clothes are in the suburbs,and the last clothing store downtown just closed.
    Buffalo once held some personal importance to me(it still does,actually),and at the time,the city looked important as well.You could SMELL the importance as you drove around town.Here a steel mill to sniff,there a tire factory giving you the whiff of Vulcan.Today the air is cleaner,the city shrunken.After a visit to Buffalo,getting out of town fast now becomes important.
    Juarez,Mexico.My God,people actually LIVE here?
    There are a few more on my List,but I don't want to offend everybody at once with my opinions.
    Originally posted by UrbnerdSF
    That's fine dude, just remember, we're actually organizing an effort here, not devoting resources and brainpower to slamming the other side. We'll let our bid speak for itself.

What athlete, especially those serving on the USOC committee, is going to want to suffer through New York summer weather when they have the microclimates of the Bay Area to pick and choose from? Hmmm...random thunderstorms and associated torrential downpours with 90 degree heat and high humidity.....*or*....65-85 degree temperature range (your choice), guaranteed natural air conditioning with a near-constant breeze, no rain even remotely possible until November....wow, tough one.
    Originally posted by fflint
    If New York gets the US Olympic bid, can you imagine how belligerent, provincial and crass its leaders and citizens will be to the international competition?

"Hey, fock yo, Rio dee Juhneero, we are the only city and you's awll suck. Noo Yawk! Noo Yawk!"

"Paris, shut yer yap, you fat frogs, or we'll stuff onion bagels up your fockin' bidet-holes. We are the only city. Noo Yawk! Noo Yawk!"

"Hey, London, you wants me to shove some fockin' Olympic spirit up your ass? Now shaddup and buy something, or get owff of my island! Noo Yawk! Noo Yawk!"

Originally posted by EastSideHBG
    shakman: Welcome to the anti-ego club

Hey thanks!!! I see we have a tough job ahead of us

I asked to question and the only thing I got was crap - only from St. Louis. I have asked this same question on other threads I have received educated answers.

Yep, I can see what you mean. I understand now it is almost impossible to have a conversation with them, so I will stop trying. Their ego blinds them from the truth in all subjects, and also prevents them from arguing in a MATURE manner, without resorting to name calling and personal insults.

Registered
    Sep 2002

Registered
    Oct 2001

True St. Louis Story -SHMG!

Off-topic:
    I'm going to a college bud's wedding in St. Louis with three other good friends and we decide to go to the Arch the day before. Well we are 6 on a 10 drunk scale by noon. That last level of drunk where it is not obvious at 30 meters. Anyway we get into the big fiberglass bucket with the door that will take the four of us to the top. We were the first ones in and there was not much of a line. While we are in the tramcar Bud # one pulls out his one-hitter and tells us how he is going to get stoned in the Arch. We all suggest that it is VERY BAD IDEA. He fires up anyway. He does two complete hits and the required holdddddddddddd -choke maneuver.

We arrive at the top of the Arch and the cars open and we emerge from a cloud of blue-green haze to find all of the cars behind us were packed with the four-state region variety pack of visiting state troopers - all resplendent in their various uniforms. Most big time brass judging from the gold crap they had all over them. Bud # one decides that is the perfect time to get the OMG giggles. We grab him and exit ASAP. I never got a chance to look out of the Arch - but I have been to the top!

Registered
    Sep 2002

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Hmm...The Lou has pulled ahead!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Bird

Never spent any time in either place, but, if I have to choose, since Charlie Parker cut his teeth in the KC club scene, I'll go with it. As good a reason as any.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2002
    Hmm...now it gets interesting...

Charlie Parker (KC) or Miles Davis (STL)??
    ST. LOUIS: The City is Back. Back the City.

Registered
    Sep 2002
    ugh, dumb photofun deleted my account. here are some other pics

Registered
    Jul 2002

kc

Originally posted by JivecitySTL
    Hmm...now it gets interesting...

Charlie Parker (KC) or Miles Davis (STL)??
    Miles broke in with Bird and Diz. Gotta go with Bird, unless we bring Satchmo into the arena.

Registered
    Sep 2002
    its too quiet in here. *(sound of crickest)*

     
    Registered
    Sep 2002

downtown kc

i lived in kc for about a year in 1998/ 99... the coolest thing to me was the revitalization of their downtown. the old warehouses were being turned into great artsy loft spaces, independent coffee shops and restaurants... it was very cool. i wonder how it has progressed since then...
    anybody know if YJ's is still there?

cheryl

I have to vote St. Louis. I grew up in suburban St. Louis and have recently discovered all the great things about the city. It's a great place to be and the architecture is outstanding and I really see signs of new life being breathed back into St. Louis, it seems there is a lot of development downtown, esp. on Washington Ave with all the lofts and apartments coming online in the next 6 months or year. And the Continental Building renovation in Midtown is a another boost for that area.

The Arch is great, but so is Tower Grove Park, the Central West End, City Museum, FOREST PARK and countless other things.

I know there is some talk about population, but STL holds it's own pretty well considering it's land area is signifigantly less than KC:

STL
    62 sq mi

KC
    314 sq mi.
    (I'm not sure if this means anything, I'm a graphic artist so I don't claim to know that much)

If St. Louis didn't break away from its county in the 1800's STL would be one of the largest cities in the United States right now, I still have to shake my head at the decision of city leaders on that one. Politicians...

Anyway, St. Louis is great place to be, it has its problems, but what city doesn't?

By the way, nice pictures Jive.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Having spent plenty of time in St. Louis (several visits) and Kansas City, I would have to say.... St. Louis, hands down. An interesting match, though. Same State, opposite sides. Similar terrain and climate. About the same population (close enough).

jfortin - maybe match up Madison, WI and Rochester, MN? Milwaukee and Pittsburgh?

Some other possibilities: Portland and Boston; Santa Fe and Savannah; San Diego or Miami; Carson City or Albany.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2002
    While the population gap between STL and KC has decreased over the years, St. Louis is still a significantly larger metro area.

STL: 2.6 million
    KC: 1.7 million

That to me is a pretty big difference.

Another thing that makes St. Louis feel so much more urban is its rich history and architectural integrity. Keep in mind that as recently as 1950, STL had almost 900,000 people in its city limits! That is bigger than Boston and San Francisco have EVER been! The vast majority of that infrastructure is still in place today, creating an atmosphere in St. Louis that exudes a big city vibe.

KC is great, but it in comparison to the Lou, it just feels more townish. Both great places though, no question about it.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Which is better? You guys need to through an "other" option in their for the poll.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Haven't spent enough time in either to make a good judgment, but went with KC simply for its jazz, fountains, Country Club Plaza, and those huge shuttlecocks in front of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Which is better? You guys need to through an "other" option in their for the poll.
    Ya gotta choose one or the other rumps You revived the thread, now vote!

I would go with STL though i haven't been to either city.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Jen
    Ya gotta choose one or the other rumps You revived the thread, now vote!

I would go with STL though i haven't been to either city.
    I voted other, I guess I'll go with St Louis because they have a high rate of the clap.

[MOD NOTE] Tuna, This here be the serious side of Cyburbia. That there comment of your's is more of a Friday Afternoon Club sort of thing, get me? - Sincerely el Guapo [/MOD NOTE]
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Nov 2003
    St. Louis all the way baby.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I chose St. Louis, only because I like the Built St. Louis website.

I've never been to either KS or STL.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2002
    Since my old pics don't work, I figured I should try to represent the Gateway City with photographic evidence. Saint Louis is truly one of the most authentic, original and colorful cities in the United States. I love this old bitch...

Of course these pics only show the city from afar, but it's just as amazing at street level. The people, the neighborhoods, the history, the soul--- this is one hell of a city.
    Last edited by JivecitySTL; 14 Nov 2003 at 9:27 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I see that your major park, "Forest Park", seems to have a major expressway going through it. We have the same problem here although it is soon to be resolved.
    -The City of Buffalo has one of the most extensive park systems in the country designed by FLO, Fredrick Law Olmstead, and are currently in the process of lessening the effects of the 198 expressway on it. I'll have to update everbody on it as the plans continue (and Yes a big traffic circle is in order).

St. Louis

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2002
    That's not an expressway, that's Forest Park Parkway. It's actually a great street, both for convenience and scenery. Most of Forest Park Parkway is closed until 2006, when the new Metro line opens (which will run parallel to it both above ground and underground).

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Kansas City vs Saint Louis
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 68
    Last post: 27 Aug 2013, 11:55 AM
  2. Hello from Kansas City
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Apr 2011, 4:17 PM
  3. Kansas City