Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Downtown bump-outs, major jighways and snow removal

Registered
    Feb 2003

Downtown bump-outs, major jighways and snow removal

Greetings all-

I am looking for examples where a town or city with a state highway running through its downtown has contemplated or installed bump outs. Bump outs being curb extentions that lessen the distance from curb to curb for pedestrians. In my example we have four travel lanes, a center turn lane and two parking lanes. The Bump Outs will extend the curbs through the parking lanes, reducing the pedestrian distance, providing a safe haven, expanding the use of furniture ect.

As an added bonus, if anyone knows of a place where this was done where it snows alot that would be great.

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    We have a couple here in Mattoon, IL.

Tuscola, Illinois recently did thier entire downtown with bump outs. I know I have a picture, but I can't find it (typical ) They usually pile the snow in the corners and pick it up with an loader later. One of the problems here is the street sweeper doesn't reach into the corners, so the public works guys have to actually get out with a broom and sweep the corners . Needless to say, it doesn't get done very much.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here are a couple from one of my favorite streetscapes, proving that a downtown can try alternatives to brick pavers. It is Palmyra, Wisconsin. Note that the curbs are flush with the pavement on the bump-outs. I have also considered whether the crosswalk might be raised. Improvements like this would make it easier to clear snow from the pedestrian pathways. Pedestrians would not have to step into or ovver a gutter filoled with slush. Just a thought.

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I have also considered whether the crosswalk might be raised. Improvements like this would make it easier to clear snow from the pedestrian pathways. Pedestrians would not have to step into or ovver a gutter filoled with slush.
    Do you mean raise the walk across the road creating a bump for the cars to drive over?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jspence
    Greetings all-

I am looking for examples where a town or city with a state highway running through its downtown has contemplated or installed bump outs. Bump outs being curb extentions that lessen the distance from curb to curb for pedestrians. In my example we have four travel lanes, a center turn lane and two parking lanes. The Bump Outs will extend the curbs through the parking lanes, reducing the pedestrian distance, providing a safe haven, expanding the use of furniture ect.

As an added bonus, if anyone knows of a place where this was done where it snows alot that would be great.

Thanks
    Although it is not a state highway at that point, I would check out College Ave in downtown Appleton, WI. It passes through the heart of the downtown area, supports a healthy business community (especially nightlife) and was rebuilt a couple of years ago with four through traffic lanes, two parking lanes and bumpouts at each intersection. Besides being the city's downtown 'main' street, it is also a major cross-city traffic artery. Contact the city for more info.

Also, being over here in Wisconsin, we definitely get our share of snow. SOP for many years has been for the city to plow ALL of the snow on that street (including what's cleared from the sidewalks) to the center and load it into dump trucks for disposal elsewhere.

Mike

Greetings all-

Thanks
    On Lake Erie. We have installed bump-outs in our downtown area (non-state route) on a wide 2 lane road. Our curbs took a beating this winter and sections need replaced, our brick pavers are now exposed that were behind the curb. I would recommend getting your DOT's approval before narrowing up the effective pavement width. If they're anything like OHIO's DOT I'm sure your DOT wouldn't go for a raised sidewalk on a state route, they are effectively speed-tables (traffic calming is another subject). However if ped safety is what you are looking for, you may want to consider center (median) islands. These can be done raised (via curbs), or not raised, just delineated with flexible delineator posts to the pavement. We have done several of these in our City also. The posts work really well and are relatively cheap and get more attention than curb cause they are higher, making it easier for drivers-of snowplows too- and pedestrians to see.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Greetings all-

Thanks
    We have tons of these in the Greater Vancouver area. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any photos in my file showing them, though. They're most common in the Cities of Vancouver and Burnaby, but also pop up in most municipalities in some place or another.

These "bump outs" are often referred to in this area by the more general, all-encompassing term, traffic calming. I've also seen them referred to as "corner bulges" in City of Vancouver design docs.

http://www.ite.org/traffic/choker.htm

This page talks about what you're looking for (somewhat) in that it talks of narrowed lanes, but the illustration provided is not at a corner (although the concept is essentially the same, given that the bulges replace streetside parking).

http://www.lesstraffic.com/ - These guys are idiots, came up in a Google search. The guy on the front page looks like some sort of wizard from the middle ages. Too much shiny lingo to take them seriously.

http://www.best.bc.ca/streets/guidebook.html
    http://www.best.bc.ca/programsAndSer...odStreets.html

Those two links might prove useful. They looked promising but I didn't have time to go through them myself (I'm about to head out the door).

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...G=Search&meta=

That proved to be a useful google search. Also try searching "traffic calming" in place of "corner bulges" for other useful results.

http://www.city.waterloo.on.ca/Porta...ficCalming.pdf

That PDF is from the City of Waterloo in Ontario and it outlines its criteria and process for adding traffic calming to a street. Included in Appendix 2 are a list of the usual methods, including curb extensions (corner bulges, bump outs - funny that there is no standard name). This relates to your question about snowy communities as Waterloo gets a fair bit of snow yet apparently uses bump outs when warranted.

At face value bump outs would not impact plowing operations because they only obstruct the parking lane (which cant be plowed anyways).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Snow Removal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 16 Dec 2008, 2:18 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 May 2008, 1:48 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Mar 2007, 11:05 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 10:47 AM