Thread: No Dozing, Doughnuts at Office of Future

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

No Dozing, Doughnuts at Office of Future

Headline and Article from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Highlight:
    ROCHESTER, Minn. -- Sitting at their desks is about the last thing workers would do in Dr. James Levine's office of the future. Instead of being sedentary in front of their computers, they'd stand. But instead of standing still, they'd walk on a treadmill. And instead of meeting around a conference table, they'd talk business while walking laps on a track.

His team developed an alternative to the traditional cubicle -- workstations that combine a computer, desk and treadmill into one unit. It was a refinement of a desk Levine created for himself about six months ago.

He and his team also put a carpeted track around the perimeter of their new 5,000-square-foot space. They made walls out of magnetic marker boards so they can stand up while developing project ideas.

And while they were at it, they used black tape to mark a hockey net on the wall behind Levine's treadmill so they can fire lightweight plastic pucks at the goal while talking to him.
    Would you want to work in such a setting ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think I would like it to an extent. I surely would not like to be standing ALL day and I think there are somethings that cannot be done while standing. I do think that constant motion is good for keeping energy levels up. Hoever, I think a fitness facility in the office would be sufficient, perhaps allowing employees (maybe even requiring??) some sort of physical activity throughout the workday. This is obviously not something just any office could incorporate.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Good lord -- I want an office job because I don't have that kind of energy. If you are that energetic, go become a construction worker or something.

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Good lord -- I want an office job because I don't have that kind of energy. If you are that energetic, go become a construction worker or something.
    Amen! Although, I do agree with Jaxspra that it would be nice if we were allowed some time for physical activity and provided with the facilities. I get one ten minute break and a 1/2 hour lunch - by the time I would get my shoes on/off, there isn't much time left for physical activity.

On another note...with all this physical activity - would the office begin to smell like a sweat box?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I guess my reasoning for saying this is that I love to work out but having the boys, it is hard to find much time to get a good workout in. I usually spend my entire lunch getting 35 min of cardio and some weights in if I have time. I know for a fact on hte days I do get a workout in that I am MUCH more productive at the office.

Registered
    May 2003
    Yeah that's supid. Standing doesn't burn energy it just makes your legs hurt. However, it would be nice if I had frequent breaks where I could go walk around outside. I hate treadmills and being cooped up in a building is at least as bad as inactivity. I get so sick of this place sometimes, and I also get sick of sitting here. I go to the water fountian and get drinks just for an excuse to get up.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I guess my reasoning for saying this is that I love to work out but having the boys, it is hard to find much time to get a good workout in. I usually spend my entire lunch getting 35 min of cardio and some weights in if I have time. I know for a fact on hte days I do get a workout in that I am MUCH more productive at the office.
    Hey, not a criticism of you. I think a lot of folks would appreciate having gym facilities, a shower room if they want to bike to work, etc.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    a cubicle with a treadmill....they are making them more and more like gerbil or hamster cages....

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Hey, not a criticism of you. I think a lot of folks would appreciate having gym facilities, a shower room if they want to bike to work, etc.
    I bet, I think I remember ZMan saying that they do have shower facilities at work!! Sure would be nice. My gym is about 7 minutes from the office, so, thats 14 minutes of driving, 2 of changing (I am pretty quick), so I am already down to about 45 minutes left of my lunch...I sure wish I could go downstairs to a workout room. But I do have to agree, trying to conduct a meeting while chucking hockey pucks and running a track just does not seem feasible...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I bet, I think I remember ZMan saying that they do have shower facilities at work!! Sure would be nice. My gym is about 7 minutes from the office, so, thats 14 minutes of driving, 2 of changing (I am pretty quick), so I am already down to about 45 minutes left of my lunch...I sure wish I could go downstairs to a workout room. But I do have to agree, trying to conduct a meeting while chucking hockey pucks and running a track just does not seem feasible...
    Actually the Municipal Rec Center is right across the parking lot from us and as a City employee I get a discounted rate. Showers at work I have heard of, but not technically here. That is the whole story.

After my afternoon so far, all I want to do right now is sit a spell.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I saw a video of that office on the news. I still don't see how you can be on a treadmill, and typing, at the same time. And what would customers think when you're huffing and puffing into the phone? Do you offer them an adjacent treadmill if they come into the office to speak with you?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Congratulations to all of us - we have just witnessed the swing from the extreme of sitting all day into a cubicle farm to the extreme of having to rattle of proposals while doing jumping jacks. Idiocy!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Trinity Moses
    a cubicle with a treadmill....they are making them more and more like gerbil or hamster cages....
    Make it a manual treadmill and hook it up so you generate electricity as you walk. Company benefits from your activity since you're productive in more ways than one!
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Half of our staff would probably have a coronary by 10:00 am if we worked in a situation like that. And just think of how everyone would smell. There’s already a lot of stuff I don’t like that I have to deal with while at work and I do not want to add everyone’s BO to the list.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From the article:

"I hate going to the gym, which may be partly why I'm so interested in this," he said, keeping up a 1 mph pace on his treadmill while checking e-mail and fielding questions from a reporter.

That speed is slow enough to avoid breaking a sweat but fast enough to burn an extra 100 calories per hour....

Levine is a leading researcher of NEAT -- short for "non-exercise activity thermogenesis" -- the calories people burn during everyday activities such as standing, walking or even fidgeting.

A recently published study he led showed that thin people are on their feet an average of 152 more minutes a day than couch potatoes. Levine was brainstorming ways to address that 2 1/2-hour NEAT deficit....."
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Ah....Another solution worthy of DEAR LEADER.

You could even throw in the enviro-wackiness/Matrix element:

Faster, "Associates," we need to generate more electricity for the building's HVAC and Mainframe systems!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Theo
    Make it a manual treadmill and hook it up so you generate electricity as you walk. Company benefits from your activity since you're productive in more ways than one!
    OMG! The Ebenezer Scrooge part of me likes that: my employees can do that to bring down the electric bill while I sit on my arse. God knows, I have health problems. I can't be treated like an electricity-generating-gerbil.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I can attest to the fact that getting up and walking around during the day does help get things going- here on our 15 minute breaks we open all the doors in our office, which makes a big loop, and walk briskly. Afterwards I do feel like I've cleared my mind a bit, and it makes focusing a little easier. And its introducing a little bit of exercise into our day.

I, however, don't think that walking all day on a treadmill would be all the productive. Can you imagine the back aches? What about arthritic folks? What about stress on your joints? Eeek, eek, eek! People do have things to accomplish after work, or activites they participate in after the daily grind- why should I have to expend all of my energy walking and typing at work?

That why theres these "america on the move" and "Healthier Steps NY" iniatives that focus on getting people in the workplace a little more active, and thinking a little healthier.

While I agree that most of our office days are pretty sendentary, treadmilling it all day is a little extreme!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sit too much in the office
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Jun 2013, 1:47 PM
  2. Future planner? (was: for the future)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Jul 2006, 10:35 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 26 Aug 2005, 9:11 AM
  4. The Office UK & US
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 14 Jun 2005, 5:04 PM
  5. Office Vs Cubicle
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33