Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snow storage

Registered
    May 1997

Snow storage

Also, does anyone have good, explicit snow storage requirements?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Check out the Town of Conway, NH Site Plan Review regulations. (PDF file)

Do a search through the file for the term "snow" for a quick overview of how it's addressed.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What do you mean by snow storage requirements? On private property? In streets/boulevards? Regulations for snow storage collection areas for environmental purposes (like salt leeching into the groundwater), etc? I guess a little more detail would be very heplful.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    What do you mean by snow storage requirements? On private property? In streets/boulevards? Regulations for snow storage collection areas for environmental purposes (like salt leeching into the groundwater), etc? I guess a little more detail would be very heplful.
    I guess you'd have to be a New Englander to understand the question without more detail.

I think Lee is looking for on-site snow storage requirements for site plan regulations. I wish I had something to pass along, but we simply state in our regulations that provisions must be made for on-site snow storage.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    While not US examples, you might want to contact the City of Moncton (New Brunswick) or the City of Halifax (Nova Scotia). Both of these communities have had to address off site storage of snow from roads and developments as sites tend to run out of capacity.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I guess you'd have to be a New Englander to understand the question without more detail.
    Heh... yeah, I get it. I suppose that we don't have the same kind of accumulation here so it's not that big of a deal. We just heap piles in parking lots.

Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Heh... yeah, I get it. I suppose that we don't have the same kind of accumulation here so it's not that big of a deal. We just heap piles in parking lots.
    Yeah, here sometimes the snow storage requires a parking lot, a rather big one.

Like NH Planner said, most communities in our area just require "adequate" storage. I'll hunt around and see if I can't find something though.

Registered
    Jun 2005

Snow Storage Details

I would suggest that you contact the State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, Northern Region for information about Snow Storage. Also, the Fairbanks North Star Borough Department of Planning would also be a good place to find information about Snow Storage and Removal. The Borough (County) Planners, as well as City of Fairbanks Planners will have a great deal of information about Snow Storage and Removal (they get alot of the stuff). Good Luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 10:40 AM
  2. Who is going to see snow first?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 62
    Last post: 11 Nov 2005, 1:02 PM
  3. Yep… that is snow.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 02 Dec 2004, 8:53 AM