Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Google Earth game

Google Earth game

I downloaded Google Earth last week and have been addicted to it since. Other places/cities/people have always fascinated me, and from some of the other threads, I know I am not alone here on Cyburbia. This got me thinking....

I thought it might be kind of fun to start a Google Earth game where we try to find specific (perhaps obscure) places on the earth based on clues and stories that others give.

For example, for some time I grew up on a street (circle) that shares the same name as our 50th state on a point overlooking the Puget Sound that looks like a cardinal's head. (the is an extremely simplified clue - way too easy - I am sure some of you can come up with some clever clues and stories about specific places in your past and present)

Any thoughts?

I guess I may be the only one interested in this kind of thing....
    I would close the thread if only I knew how.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Ass. Planner
    I guess I may be the only one interested in this kind of thing....
    I would close the thread if only I knew how.

HELL NO! Give us some time, some of our computers need time to use this stuff. Don't get nervous!

Are we suposed to post a lat and long?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Is this it?

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2003
    You know google earth will make jpegs of what you're looking at. There's no reason to take screenshots.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    You know google earth will make jpegs of what you're looking at. There's no reason to take screenshots.
    I did not know that....I've only tinkered with it a little bit when I have free time....thanks!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Oh, good! I didn't think I would be the only one interested in something like this.

You can post whatever clue you would like. I was thinking that if you have a story behind it that would subtlely give away the location, or a "where in the world can you find...." kind of thing. It doesn't matter - use some creative license!

NH Planner, yes that is correct! In fact, the crosshairs come up almost directly on my old navy-housing duplex.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    A mutated form of GTC ?!? BRILLIANT, EXCELLENT !!!!! Ass. Planner, you are my hero.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

is this a good clue?

If this one is stupid or too hard, smack me, but how is this for a clue:

In a country that revolted against the French for its independence, in a bay that looks like a head or face eating a cookie, where the tongue is attached to the mouth, there is a capital city. Name that city and find in it an overcrowded neighbourhood in a precarious place then post a picture.

Could be tough, but I'd like to see if people get it.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Sorry - I'm being lazy, but is it Abidjan, Ivory Coast?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Never mind, after 5 downloads got it installed properly.
    Last edited by donk; 20 Jul 2005 at 6:58 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    I would guess Abjidan too, just because of the fact that it has a fantastic bay and of the history of the Ivory Coast.

EDIT: This damn forum won't let me upload the picture I have of Abjidan. Says it's too big but Google Earth won't make a smaller image and I have no photo editing software here.

EDIT: I put it in the gallery. The bay looks nothing like the description that richiefullerton gave. Also, google doesn't have neighborhood level data for that region:

Last edited by jordanb; 21 Jul 2005 at 1:28 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    quebec city? I don't have google esrth though.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've got to get this downloaded!

This is like GTC to a whole new level!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2003
    Here's one. I'm thinking of a dam that separates a man-made lake from a natural lake. The dam was built to control flooding on the natural lake, which is used by tourists. The man-made lake is very long and river-like and is popular with fishermen. You'll know the dam because two "fingers" of the man-made lake touch it. The first ends at the dam's embankment, the other against a spillway.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

answer!

The answer is:

Port-au Prince, Haiti

This is great! Keep up the good work everyone! I was going to try to come up with a couple of good ones last weekend, but ran out of time. I will try again this coming weekend...

Here's one. I'm thinking of a dam that separates a man-made lake from a natural lake. The dam was built to control flooding on the natural lake, which is used by tourists. The man-made lake is very long and river-like and is popular with fishermen. You'll know the dam because two "fingers" of the man-made lake touch it. The first ends at the dam's embankment, the other against a spillway.
    I am sure that I am way off on this....but is it in Idaho by chance?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 26 Jul 2005 at 11:55 AM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Ass. Planner: Nope, but it is in the United States

Nice one richiefullerton! A bit too tough for me. I don't know Hati very well.

Anyhow, here are the pictures of Port-au Prince, as requested.

And a slum:

I bet their gardens are successful on that river bottom!

Still searching....I found something similar to what you are talking about in Wisconsin and Iowa, but a closer look told me I was wrong on both counts.... I will find it!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Google Earth as Entertainment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 28 Jul 2007, 9:05 PM
  2. Replies: 57
    Last post: 19 Oct 2005, 1:23 PM
  3. Boston from Google Earth
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Jul 2005, 3:46 PM