Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A walk beneath the city - Big Dig

Registered
    Jul 2002

A Walk Beneath The City

If anybody happens to be in the Boston area or can make it into Boston this Sunday, you are in for a cool treat. They are opening the new expresway tunnel for a pedestrian walk. I did it once a few years back and it was amazing. I can't wait for this!

More info:
    Big Dig Walk
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Aug 2001

Statler, how did it go?

I read that it was enormously popular and they had to open 45 minutes early to accommodoate the crowd. What was your take on it?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    It was really cool. I wish I had more of a chance to talk to the engineers that were posted thru-out the tunnel. It was incredibly crowded but it moved along really well. I have to commend them on thier almost perfect execution with this event. (As compared to the cluster f**k that was the bridge walk.) I can't wait for this be completed so I can actually drive through it. (Me and a million other people)
    The whole thing gave me a real apprecation of what an incredibly complex project it is. Now all we have to worry about is what we are going to put above the tunnel.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Dec 1998
    That sounds like an interesting project. As a native and resident of a city below sea level and primarily built on swamp land, it's hard for me to conceive of subterranean activities. The first time I rode a subway was when I went to DC on a high school trip and I was absolutely fascinated by it. I have to admit that I was pretty impressed with the 3 levels of Wacker Street in Chicago also.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Walk Score
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 2:30 PM
  2. A Walk In Buffalo :: May 1-3
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 May 2006, 8:50 PM
  3. Replies: 4