Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Post count

Registered
    May 2005

Post count

Why is there such a concern over post count?

Occassionally I reply to one of my last messages - which often was fairly meaty...and my one or two line sentence gets merged with the previous message, confusing the issue.

Is there some kind of competition of posts?
    - Beware more of the man in the fancy cloak, than the one in tattered clothing -

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    From the Board Rules (emphasis added):

2.6 Post padding / low content posts
    * Two or more consecutive messages in a thread to reflect one train of thought ("Oh, and one more thing ..."). Users can amended and edit their posts up to six hours after posting. Staff may consolidate or delete posts to improve readability of a thread.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by circusoflife
    Is there some kind of competition of posts?
    It's not that. It's more about making the individual threads less cluttered with unnecessary posts that are simple edits to one post/comment.

There is a reason for the "Edit" button on the bottom right-hand side of a post. You can edit a recent post for a short period of time, like 24 hours or so. This allows you to add additional info to a post without having multiple posts, one after the other, containing essentially the same thought or series of connected thoughts.

EDIT (see it works ): What NHPlanner said.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2005
    Understood. Thanks for the clip of the policy NHPlanner.

I've used the edit on this msgboard and others alot. I guess at least one of the times I've added a simple msg - my response came more than a week later - so it would be confusing to merely edit the message.
    - Beware more of the man in the fancy cloak, than the one in tattered clothing -

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by circusoflife
    Understood. Thanks for the clip of the policy NHPlanner.

I've used the edit on this msgboard and others alot. I guess at least one of the times I've added a simple msg - my response came more than a week later - so it would be confusing to merely edit the message.
    That would fall under this section:

Quote Originally posted by Board Rules
    2.7 Bumping
    Bumping is discouraged but tolerated when used sparingly. Threads should only be bumped if they have no replies, and they are no longer visible on the first page of the forum. Threads should be bumped only once.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm if by Clubes you mean that we're in a sort of competition for post counts... then.. maybe you're right... but as of late this competition has had a tendency to slow down, and now it's just like recognizing that someone posts a lot...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Post count adjustment
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 03 Apr 2006, 2:48 PM
  2. Post count adjustment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Apr 2006, 7:00 AM
  3. Where did my post count go?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help