Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: City of Thousand Oaks

City of Thousand Oaks

Anyone have any experiences working in/with the City of Thousand Oaks? Any info appreciated - Thx!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Incrementalist
    Anyone have any experiences working in/with the City of Thousand Oaks? Any info appreciated - Thx!!!
    I've never been there, but I have a friend who lives in Thousand Oaks, CA and from what he tells me, it sounds like a place typical for its genre, old smaller entity that has been swallowed up into the endless city's urbanity with the same issues of growth control, commercial and other development pressure, wacko housing prices, traffic, historic preservation, etc, as the rest.

Mike

....typical for its genre...

Thanks for that mgk920 - good info. I sort of assumed it's a typical suburban area for California. Any thoughts on working there as a planner. (politics, management, culture, etc.)

Thx!!!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I actually like Thousand Oaks, and despite what others may say, it seems separated from the rest of L.A. It has a nice setting in amongst hills, and it has high landscaping and design standards (nice boulevards, lots of trees, etc.). If was going back to So. Cal, it's probably one of the areas I would look at, because it's close to many things (L.A., Santa Barbara, Ventura) without all of the headaches. The Santa Monica mountains in the area are really great for hiking, and they have a good conservancy program going for the region.

Edit: if you go to their website, they have a lot of their policies online. I suggest that you read through their general plan... it looks like they have elements not required under State Law, which shows that they go beyond the bare minimum. Their Forestry and Conservation elements look good, which would lead me to believe that they have high standards for enviromental protection.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I like Thousand Oaks as well. It's in Ventura County, and pretty far out from LA. Ventura County has the strongest growth controls of all the counties in Southern California, although that doesn't mean that the county is anti-growth. Thousand Oaks is very expensive and very suburban.
    Ventura Co has an enourmous amount of farmland remaining and lots of designated open space. Last time I checked, population for the county is still under 1 million.

IMO, there is a definate change of attitude as you leave LA county and go into Ventura. Ventura has a nice feel about it.

There is traffic, but not as bad as LA, because most of the freeways are not mega sized. Only 2-3 lanes in each direction.
    Definately a nice place.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved to the Career Advice subforum. Let's keep discussion about working for the city, rather than its built environment or urbanity. Thanks!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Moderator note:
    Moved to the Career Advice subforum. Let's keep discussion about working for the city, rather than its built environment or urbanity. Thanks!
    Just to clarrify - I am not look for career advice, but am looking for the inside dish on the politics of the City and the environment of the workplace. I do like the previous posts though - always good to here different perspectives on the built environment as well.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I can't say anything about working for T.O. but I lived next door in Agoura Hills. The development is pretty typical suburban as far as housing goes. However there are very large green space requirements that most cities don't have. I think Thousand Oaks also has a goal population cap in place that influences policy and development. I didn't find traffic in the city itself to be terrible but you will face delays if you go down 101 into LA.

In general I dislike suburban living but Thousand Oaks is a decent version of it.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've never been there, but it definitely looks very beautiful. If you watched when Ronald Reagan was finally put to rest at sunset at his library, it was in Simi Valley, which is right near Thousand Oaks. The views were breathtaking...this is one of the few areas in California I probably could stand to live in right now.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    I've never been there, but it definitely looks very beautiful. If you watched when Ronald Reagan was finally put to rest at sunset at his library, it was in Simi Valley, which is right near Thousand Oaks. The views were breathtaking...this is one of the few areas in California I probably could stand to live in right now.
    California is full of places with stunning views.

The comments about the greenery and open space are right on. My main problem is the predominance of 1970s and 1980s suburban housing styles-not my favorite era in California architecture at all.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 5:56 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 1:26 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Dec 2004, 4:26 PM
  4. Replies: 51
    Last post: 15 Nov 2003, 1:50 PM