Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job hopping - your thoughts

Registered
    Feb 2003

Job hopping - your thoughts

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this (not-so-hypothetical) situation:

A recently AICP'ed planner with 6+ years of professional planning experience recently accepted a position at the county that contains the city where he currently works (since 2000). Although the job responsibilities include supervision of more emplyees, and a slight increase in pay, it's somewhat of a lateral move. He took the job to gain rural/regional planning experience, and to work for a larger/more professional organization.

My (or, er, his) "dream" job has just popped up on the APA jobs website.

What do I do?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Apply for the dream position and go from there.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by plankton
    I'd appreciate your thoughts on this (not-so-hypothetical) situation:

A recently AICP'ed planner with 6+ years of professional planning experience recently accepted a position at the county that contains the city where he currently works (since 2000). Although the job responsibilities include supervision of more emplyees, and a slight increase in pay, it's somewhat of a lateral move. He took the job to gain rural/regional planning experience, and to work for a larger/more professional organization.

My (or, er, his) "dream" job has just popped up on the APA jobs website.

What do I do?
    How often does your "dream job" come along. It is not the best of situations, but I do not see what can be gained by passing up on something you really want.

The above statement is meant to apply only in regards to your profession wants. It is not intended to give you carte blanche to not pass up on something you really want in your personal life (i.e. that sweet young thing you might have seen at the supermarket)
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Go for it!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No brainer - go for the dream job. I bet every one of us on here has a dream job that if the opportunity presented itself, would drop everything to go after. As long as you can explain reasons for the short stays and transitions, it shouldn't be a problem. Hoping from your City position to the County one has good reasoning behind it. If they ask why you are leaving the County so quickly, just be straight with them and explain why this job has so much appeal to you.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 1997
    I just returned from a funeral for someone who is younger than I am. There could be consequences of "job-hopping," but they will never outweigh the consequences of not following your heart.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by plankton
    What do I do?
    Like Lee says: your life belongs to you. Live it. What do YOU want? I think you know the answer to that and are just looking for Permission. You hereby have my Official Permission to live for yourself, even if that doesn't quite please the folks who would like very much to treat you as a cog in the machine.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A one-posit-on hop can be easily explained in the dream job interview.

But if you had 3 jobs in three years I'd say no....

Registered
    May 2004
    If its really a dream job. But I wonder if you (or him or her or whoever) were to decide it really wasn't a dream job and to apply somewhere else would your current employer be able to give a good reference based on your short time there. In fact - I can't see how it would not end up leaving them with a bad opinion of you.

Coincidentaly - I am in pretty much the same situation but I am leaning towards staying put because of my fears of how the "job-hopping" would look to future employers. I am of the belief that 2 years minimum at a job is a necessity, course sometime you just gotta follow your heart.

Registered
    Feb 2003

thanks for the feedback

I have decided to forego the dream job and move onto the new position, as planned. The last post kinda hit the nail on the head for me but I agree with the other posts, too.

Onward and upward....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Your thoughts on fur
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Nov 2012, 10:32 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2009, 4:31 PM
  3. Thoughts on NYU RE
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6