Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public Policy vs. Urban Design

     
    Registered
    Jun 2005

Public Policy vs. Urban Design

I was wondering if choosing a Public Policy orientated Urban Planning program over one focused on Urban Design is likely to have a big effect on the kind of work you do as a planner after you graduate.

I would imagine that specializing in the Public Policy area would give you the oppurtunity to be making decisions at the macro rather than micro level. Which would probably be more interesting and rewarding in the long run. And I imagine it would pay better to? Is this true?

Registered
    Nov 2002

Depends

Quote Originally posted by garethMann
    I was wondering if choosing a Public Policy orientated Urban Planning program over one focused on Urban Design is likely to have a big effect on the kind of work you do as a planner after you graduate.

I would imagine that specializing in the Public Policy area would give you the oppurtunity to be making decisions at the macro rather than micro level. Which would probably be more interesting and rewarding in the long run. And I imagine it would pay better to? Is this true?
    It will likely have a big effect on your first job or two after you graduate- after that things will probably settle out and you will end up working on things related to your interests.

The public policy orientation tends to be more involved with statistics and fiscal analysis than physical space, which can be more macro or not depending on the situation. Policy related planning often does pay better because people pay for people who can use numbers, that is true.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Aug 2009, 4:20 PM
  2. Public policy = urban design job?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Aug 2007, 7:22 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Apr 2005, 6:45 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Apr 2004, 9:44 PM