Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2006 APA presentations

Registered
    Aug 2001

2006 APA presentations

Now that I am a conslutant, I should be using opportunities like the APA Conference to get more exposure to potential clients. I have a couple ideas in mind for presentations and was wondering if anyone else was planning to present, or wanted to get together to present a session. Generally, there are 2-3 speakers in each session. Here are the rules: http://www.planning.org/2006conferen...osal/index.htm

As I drive around the country I take hundreds of photos of the cities I pass through. One thing that always catches my eye is the "great idea" that is likely prohibited in most cities. I am a strong advocate for flexibility in codes and the need for planners to be willing to re-write codes to permit a good thing when it comes along. I am thinking of putting together a presentation entitled "101 Great Ideas Most Cities Don't Allow," or something like that. It would basically be a walk-through of images showing good ideas, and the codes that prohibit them. Topics like code revisions, form-based coses, planners as facilitators, or similar things might go well with this.

Successful downtowns are not all alike. I have been working on a typology of downtowns for some time. It is based on "character" mostly - tangible and intangible things like design, layout, history, etc. I thought to present these ideas, contrasting the different places and noting the similar themes that contribute to their success. Any downtown topics might pair with this.

If you are interested in joining me in a session, let me know. If you have other ideas for session topics, post them here!
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Now that I am a conslutant, I should be using opportunities like the APA Conference to get more exposure to potential clients. I have a couple ideas in mind for presentations and was wondering if anyone else was planning to present, or wanted to get together to present a session. Generally, there are 2-3 speakers in each session. Here are the rules: http://www.planning.org/2006conferen...osal/index.htm

As I drive around the country I take hundreds of photos of the cities I pass through. One thing that always catches my eye is the "great idea" that is likely prohibited in most cities. I am a strong advocate for flexibility in codes and the need for planners to be willing to re-write codes to permit a good thing when it comes along. I am thinking of putting together a presentation entitled "101 Great Ideas Most Cities Don't Allow," or something like that. It would basically be a walk-through of images showing good ideas, and the codes that prohibit them. Topics like code revisions, form-based coses, planners as facilitators, or similar things might go well with this.

Successful downtowns are not all alike. I have been working on a typology of downtowns for some time. It is based on "character" mostly - tangible and intangible things like design, layout, history, etc. I thought to present these ideas, contrasting the different places and noting the similar themes that contribute to their success. Any downtown topics might pair with this.

If you are interested in joining me in a session, let me know. If you have other ideas for session topics, post them here!
    Get with Lee Einswiller of Duncan Associates in Austin and see if he would like to do a session on something like that.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I am thinking of putting together a presentation entitled "101 Great Ideas Most Cities Don't Allow," or something like that. It would basically be a walk-through of images showing good ideas, and the codes that prohibit them. Topics like code revisions, form-based coses, planners as facilitators, or similar things might go well with this.
    I like this idea/theme, and I would attend such a session.
    Question - could this be adequately cover in one time period ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that is a great idea... I don't think that I will be able to go to the APA confrence this year. I would like to go in a few years when it is in Vegas or Boston.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004

How about....

A session about online forums and uses of technology to disseminate information between planners and non planners all over the world
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Nov 2009, 7:05 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 01 Dec 2007, 9:31 AM
  3. Public Speaking/Presentations
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 06 Apr 2007, 1:37 AM
  4. Giving Presentations, Teaching, Etc.