Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who's Playing What Video Game for Entertainment?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Who's Playing What Video Game for Entertainment?

So, I purchased my first PC video game in several months the other night.....Stronghold 2 After fixing a few minor video card issues, it works great and looks like it will be a fun game. It better be, it set me back $40. The last time I spent money on a video game was when I purchased Doom 3 last year, only to find out my video board didn't want to run the game, so I had to buy a new video card for $60 Then I found out I didn't like the game.....

So what have you all been playing lately? Anyone try a game called Sacred, is it really like Diablo 2? or better?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Normally I'm all about strategy titles. Particularly ones dealing with economics and resource mgmt....Civilization, Europa Universalis 2, Cross of Iron, Art of War, etc. but lately I've gotten into the Sims 2.

For whatever reason turn based games have appealed to me more than real-time (not that I dislike real time games, just prefer turn based)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm an XBox sports title guy...MVP Baseball 2005, NCAA Football 2005, and ESPN NFL 2K5 are the played titles that I play most. Planner Groupie likes to play the Atari games (over 80 of them on one disc) on the XBox.

Also play a bit of poker online....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Simcity 4, of course.

And I only say that so I can say what I REALLY wanted to say (and thank you for providing the perfect thread for it ):

God, I am So Stupid! The KEY to not having An Evil City is LARGE firestations and police stations. Small police and fire stations = business deals = Evil City.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    SimCity (Original), Civilization, Zelda (great fun game, but old), poker/poker/poker (internet)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    When I can it get away from the 10-year old and we are not watching DVDs on it, Rachet and Clank. After a long day of trying to run a planning department, it feels good to beat the crap out of things.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Not really into videos games (probably the only guy in his early 20s who isn't), never had them while younger. They were not allowed, instead Z's mom gave him books. So I tend to do that instead.
    That doesn't mean to say I do not enjoy video games. I have Flight Simulator on my computer, and I downloaded a baseball game for my cell phone. I really don't play them now, as all my friends have had tons of practice and usually win.
    I prefer doing other stuff.

Although, while living with a gamer in college, I did piuck up the controller and play a quick game of ESPN football.

But every once in a while.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    What I want to know is when the new Duke Nukem is going to be released???
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Civ III

Addictive as all heck.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't play, but my son is currently engrossed in the XBox game based on the new Star Wars movie.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Metal Gear Solid 3. If they stripped the entire game down to just the incredible, intense sniper battle with one particular end level boss - which took me over 4 hours to get through - the game would probably still be just as good.

Gamin

Last night I spent about an hour on Cabela's "Most Dangerous Hunts" game. It is fun, where after you shoot an animal, and if you don't claim it fairly quickly, another predator will come up and steal it, or attack you. Pretty comical first person shooter. Video game trades sell these hunting type games for about $10 +. Good stress reliever
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Civ III

Addictive as all heck.
    Yeah, but let's be honest here - Civ II was more playable. It's not possible in Civ 3 to have more than a dozen or so cities without massive corruption (like every single trade icon being corrupt). Kinda takes the fun out of conquering the world, knowing that you're not really in control, and every captured city is run by some local mafiosos who are robbing you blind! And weren't the Civ 2 'advisors' (I know, I never listened to them either) more entertaining, particularly when science trade or entertainment were way out of balance?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I usually read, having spent all day working on puters and I sometimes play startegy stuff like the Civ games, the SimCities and so on. However, for the last few years, I've been 'roped' into some online RPGs by an old school friend and now spend about 10 hours a week split between Dark Ages of Camelot and World of Warcraft.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    My computer game time now is pretty limited, so for me occasionally GTA 3, and sometimes EA Cricket 2004 (Depends on what mood I'm in - An excessively violent one or a nice gentlemanly one ).

And sometimes I dig out my Gamecube and play a bit of ISS 3 (Football/Soccer). Honduras are currently in the World Cup final....

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have anger issues, so I play GTA San Andreas. Nothing makes me feel better after coming home from a frustrating day at work than mowing down people in a simulated drive-by!

'Burb Fixer finds himself added to an FBI list...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Playing the Battlefield 2 demo right now (well, not right now, I am at work). Full game comes out next week and it looks to be very good. I pre-ordered so that is what I will be playing for the next several months/years

Picked up Madden2004 Football last week for $4.90 and have been playing that off and on for a change of pace.

Waiting for Civ IV to come out this fall/winter....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Yeah, but let's be honest here - Civ II was more playable. It's not possible in Civ 3 to have more than a dozen or so cities without massive corruption (like every single trade icon being corrupt). Kinda takes the fun out of conquering the world, knowing that you're not really in control, and every captured city is run by some local mafiosos who are robbing you blind! And weren't the Civ 2 'advisors' (I know, I never listened to them either) more entertaining, particularly when science trade or entertainment were way out of balance?
    I never played Civ II... I saw Civ III on a discount rack for eight bucks or something, and took a shot. I like it. I hear Civ IV is out in September, and lots of those things are going to be different.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2003
    I was interested in video games when I was in high school, but then I got into Linux and that pretty much ended that right there. I still play Doom occasionally or some of the really 0ld sk00l games like nethack and adventure. (You know you're 0ld sk00l when you don't consider Doom to be 0ld sk00l. )

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah....

Redneck Rampage was a great game.......could use an updated version......
    Skilled Adoxographer

I love to play the Sims on my computer. I also enjoy Tomba, the Harry Potter games, Smurf Racer, and Tomb Raider on PSII. I loved Myst and Riven. Have always wanted to try the Civ games, but have never gotten around to it.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    NCAA Footbal 2005/March Madness 2005 and Halo for X-Box.

SimCity 4 for computer...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Feb 2011, 4:07 PM
  2. Rock Band- The Video Game
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Aug 2008, 9:42 PM
  3. Playing the -------card
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 80