Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cover letter

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Cover letter

I have applied for jobs before but this is the first time I am applying for a position within the same organization I currently work for. So, I am putting together my resume and cover letter. Question is, who do I address the cover letter to? Is it standard to address it to "To Whom It May Concern"? Or, since I already work here and know who will be reading it, is it inappropriate to address that person directly? The job posting just says to submit resumes to Human Resource Dept. Or is there a completely different way to address the cover letter?? Thoughts and suggestions, please!! Thanks.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Address the letter to the head of HR by name, with a copy to the Department head by name.

Addressing directly is always preferred.

My SO is a career counselor.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have been told that it is better not to address a letter than to address it "to whom it may concern".
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 1997
    I automatically discard applications addressed "to whom it may concern."

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the advice, I obviously needed it, I am changing the address right now.
    Any other advice out there? I am applying for a Director position, never held a Director title. Is there anything I should include in my resume or cover letter? Is there anything I should leave out? Wow, sometimes it is easier to apply somewhere that you don't work. I am a little nervous about applying.

Registered
    Dec 2002
    Even when you are applying to a place where you do not currently work, if you can find out the name of the person handling that hiring, you should include the name. If you cannot come up with the name of the person who will be reading it, the next best thing to do is addressing it "Dear Sir or Madam." That is much better than "To Whom it May Concern."

Registered
    May 2003
    "To whom it may concern" is the proper opening for a complaint, a letter to an insurance company, or anything else that needs to start out acidic and maintain that tone all the way through.

Registered
    May 1997
    jordanb is right on target about "to whom."

As for applying to be director. It is different, IMO. A somewhat longer and more thoughtful cover letter is needed. You must emphasize your leadership skills, which do not necessarily pop out in a traditional resume. Which leads me to say also that resume format is important. You need to show that you can get people organized and keep them moving, you need to show that you can manage a budget, etc.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    jordanb is right on target about "to whom."

As for applying to be director. It is different, IMO. A somewhat longer and more thoughtful cover letter is needed. You must emphasize your leadership skills, which do not necessarily pop out in a traditional resume. Which leads me to say also that resume format is important. You need to show that you can get people organized and keep them moving, you need to show that you can manage a budget, etc.
    I have thought a lot about the cover letter and what I will be saying in it. One problem I am having is that I have never been a director or supervisor in a govt. dept. The qualifications do not require previous supervisory experience, but I am sure it is something they are looking for. Can you (or anyone) give me any advice on how to approach my lack of supervisory experience? I do not think its something I can't do, just haven't had the opportunity.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. To cover letter or not to cover letter
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 11:30 AM
  2. Cover letter - P/T job
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Feb 2011, 1:13 AM
  3. Length of cover letter?