Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: steep slopes

steep slopes

I am trying to collect information on developments that have been located on steep slopes and either had problems due to engineering or planning issues. Most of the information I have seen on the web deals with landslides and such, but the area where I am trying to protect is in New Jersey and landslides are very rare. I am looking for specific examples of existing developments, including photos. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Registered
    Dec 2001
    There are steep slopes in Jersey?? Must be building on a landfill

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    What is your definition of steep slopes?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Would you accept examples where development on steep slopes HAS worked? Seems like there is an agenda if you are looking for negative examples to prohibit development on steep slopes.

Beware Beware!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You may also want to investigae the effects of removing trees and vegetation frome the slopes, one of the biggest causes of erosion when steep slopes are disturbed.

I would guess you are talking about slopes 15-25% and 25% and greater correct?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is also an issue in Wisconsin. Where the number one tourist attraction in the state is The House on the Rock http://thehouseontherock.com , we also have one called The Rock in the House (http://www.greatriver.com/Rock/inhouse.htm

Registered
    May 1997
    The best source of information, references, etc on this question is usually your state geological survey. If anyone has collected locally relevant examples, it will probably be them. Depending on where you are located in NJ, you might also try the adjoining state's geological svy. The USGS also has compilations of information on slope hazards. They will feature landslides, but will include some other aspects of the hazard. You can also talk to your local NRCS people. If the issue is erosion as steep slopes are laid bare, they can help you document the potential for that based on soil mapping units. Can even, if they have time make some useful calculations of runoff and soil loss quantities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning on slopes: just don´t!?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Jan 2009, 4:29 PM
  2. What are acceptable slopes on a lot?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 Nov 2008, 6:35 AM
  3. Steep slope residential design
    Design, Space, and Place