Urban planning community

Poll results: Help Pick My Summer Avatar (See 1st post for pics)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Life's A Beach!

5 21.74%
  • Bending Over Backwards

15 65.22%
  • Skinnier than I used to be

1 4.35%
  • Skinnier than I used to be -- the cropped version

2 8.70%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: God, I am SOOO Bored (help pick my summer avatar)

Registered
    Jul 2003

God, I am SOOO Bored (help pick my summer avatar)

Hey, it's summer. I am thinking I want a summer-y avatar. So I thought I would revive some of the pics of me on the beach at age 17 and pick a summer avatar. But now I can't decide which one, so I thought I would enlist y'alls aid (knowing I am likely to regret this ). The first two have been used as my avatar on previous occasions. The last two I did tonight from a photo that I can't post here because my sister is also in it, so it has to be selectively cropped. Why crop it down to my boney hips? To celebrate how much skinnier I am now than I was, say, last week -- ie a celebration of improved health and well-being. (Yes, I know I would have to remove hip bones to be that small again. Yes, I know I would need to lose like 80 pounds or something on top of that. Who freakin' cares? )

1) Life's A Beach!

2) Bending Over Backwards

3) Skinnier than I used to be

4) Skinnier than I used to be -- the cropped version

Vote and donate your 2 cents worth. Have fun in the thread but please keep it clean.

Oh, and for discussion: What do y'all do when you are bored at 2am?? How do you find entertainment or distraction that doesn't get you into an excess of trouble?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    No. 2 for me. Its the sunniest image, and great for Summer.

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone

Oh, and for discussion: What do y'all do when you are bored at 2am?? How do you find entertainment or distraction that doesn't get you into an excess of trouble?
    I'm lucky in that I usually have no problem sleeping. So normally if I am up at 2am (which happens very rarely nowadays) then I'm drinking. Or watching cricket highlights.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Vote and donate your 2 cents worth. Have fun in the thread but please keep it clean.

A 1. # 2
    A 2. I prefer sleeping at 2am.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

If I'm having trouble sleeping, I usually try my online games first - in the hopes of finding someone else to 'talk' to. If that fails, it's a book.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Avatar #2: it's more incdicative of "Summer". Plus, it's more dynamic than the others
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hmmm...I dunno - I can't decide which one screams "HEY, LOOK AT ME!!!" the most.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I like No. 3.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Personally, I am not a big fan of photo avatars that are photo’s of one’s self at a younger age. Why don’t you get something that shows your character instead of image? I have several other thoughts on this subject, but I won’t go into detail. So I will vote "OTHER" but that is not an option in the poll.

As for 2 am... I am doing one of the following
    - Sleeping
    - Reading
    - Drawing
    - Listening to the bouncer at the bar say that it is closing time and that we need to leave, all while wondering where my drunk friends are, as I realize once again, I am the DD and that I will be the only one to wake up without a hang over in the morning.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Hmmm...I dunno - I can't decide which one screams "HEY, LOOK AT ME!!!" the most.
    That would probably be #2.

Noj, I am confused. Did you mean #1? That would be the sunniest image. I am wondering if you matched the title with the picture above it instead of under it?

Michaelskis, a) You are the one who sees this as shallow and not expressing anything about my character -- that says something about you but nothing at all about my view of it b) I intentionally left out an "other" option. It is my avatar and I am considering using one of the 4 images shown below. I did not wish to do a wide open poll where I take "suggestions" -- I have seen how that goes on this site before c) Last but not least, it was meant to be FUN and light hearted. If you must share your judgmental, angsty nature, feel free to start such a thread but I would appreciate it if others do not join you in raining on my parade. So, if it isn't your kind of party, please go elsewhere. Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would suggest that #1, #3, and #4 are not safe for work. Especially #4, with #3 coming in a close second.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    I would suggest that #1, #3, and #4 are not safe for work. Especially #4, with #3 coming in a close second.
    Roflol. Yeah, that was my concern -- that #3 and #4 were NSFW. Which is a big part of why I couldn't pick one and tossed out two other images I have used previously without any problem (getting banned as a slightly late birthday present isn't my idea of Fun ). Of course, I may yet come up with something completely different. Things you do out of boredom at 2am aren't always, uh, very well thought out.

Kind of related: I have heard rumblings that folks would like another animated avatar week. I don't generally participate, but, hey, feel free to speak up (or start a new thread -- maybe with a poll?) if you have an opinion on that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'll go for #2... 3 and 4 are potentially NSFW... IMHO.

And you lucky northerners are now in summer while I'm here sitting in the cold heh... I'll laugh in 6 months...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Personally, I am not a big fan of photo avatars that are photo’s of one’s self at a younger age.
    Completely off-topic but anyways isn't all photos of anyone at a younger age i.e they were taken a few years ago, yesterday, a few minutes ago. so in theory they might be close to the same age but never the same age.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    [B]If you must share your judgmental, angsty nature, feel free to start such a thread but I would appreciate it if others do not join you in raining on my parade. So, if it isn't your kind of party, please go elsewhere. Thanks.
    Holy crap, I really can't see how Mike's post could cause such an overly-defensive reaction! I think he was remarkably polite. And, I agree with him.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    Completely off-topic but anyways isn't all photos of anyone at a younger age i.e they were taken a few years ago, yesterday, a few minutes ago. so in theory they might be close to the same age but never the same age.
    I like your thinking. I would also note that a single still photograph doesn't really give you a good idea of what someone looks like.

For me, and this is purely psychological and has nothing at all to do with looks, my divorce is like rewinding the clock to when those pictures were taken: those photos were made a few months before I hooked up with my husband and since I was 17, I was still "jail bait" but soon wouldn't be. My divorce is not final so I am not really "available" yet but soon will be -- kind of like a 17 year old, if that analogy makes sense. (Not that anybody cares. )

JNL, you frequently side with Michael in finding me offensive or whatever. I said that cuz I really don't want a pile on from folks like you. I do all I can to avoid being offensive and I do all I can to stay out of your way and Michael's way, even though I have openly stated that if you have a problem with me, please PM me and we can work it out and you haven't and I have no idea what your problem is. But I won't leave the forum just because you find me objectionable on a regular basis and I don't see why I should put up with people taking cracks at me like that. I don't tell you my unsolicited opinions about the avatars you choose or any number of other things. It would be inappropriate and rude. This was meant to be a fun poll and if you don't want to take it as something fun and light hearted and want to get in my face about it, I am politely asking that you please don't post in it. Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Holy crap, I really can't see how Mike's post could cause such an overly-defensive reaction! I think he was remarkably polite. And, I agree with him.
    I agree. I was being polite in my post, as well.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    I agree. I was being polite in my post, as well.
    Um, I am honestly confused here. I agreed with you that two of the photos are potentially not safe for work. You seem to imply that I gave you hard time about it. I don't undestand.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear chose avatar # 1, "Life's A Beach". I actually picked it for the expression that comes close to saying that "life is a bitxx". Ya gotta have some good old-fashioned sarcasm mixed in with the regular slices of life.

As for the question about 2:00 AM.....if I am awake, it is old movies or working on my fake Amish city, De Noc along with the old movies.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    Off-topic:
    Good point. I never thought of it like that

On topic, I was just saying that I am not a fan of them. Some people don't like other people wearing white shoes before Memorial Day, I don't like self pictures. It was not intended to be anything personal, it was just giving an asked for opinion. I apologize if it offended you MZ.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    .... I don't like self pictures......
    And of course that's the reason you've never posted pictures of yourself?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Kind of related: I have heard rumblings that folks would like another animated avatar week. I don't generally participate, but, hey, feel free to speak up (or start a new thread -- maybe with a poll?) if you have an opinion on that.

Hmmm... What do those pictures do if they're animated?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I chose #2 because BW appealed to me. And its happy, whee, beach gymnastics and such, etc...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    On topic, I was just saying that I am not a fan of them. Some people don't like other people wearing white shoes before Memorial Day, I don't like self pictures. It was not intended to be anything personal, it was just giving an asked for opinion. I apologize if it offended you MZ.
    I appreciate the apology but I wasn't seriously offended. My comments have been misread (and weren't that well written). I partly just wanted to make the point that it was not an oversight to not have an option of "other". I have seen how that goes when people ask for help picking their avatar and leave it wide open. Usually, no real help results. Given that I, personally, seem to manage to be "outrageous" even when I am actively trying to avoid it, I did not want to go there -- having nothing to do with you.

Bear, I originally attached the phrase "life's a beach" to the second photo, in the random thoughts thread where it is closer to 'full size'. I thought about keeping that phrase regardless of what picture I use. In other words, I approve of your choice of sarcasm.

Mastiff, if they were animated, one of them would perform a complete walkover. One of them would probably be laughing. The last two are cut from a picture of me standing next to my sister. It is totally innocent. I can mail you the picture if you want to see it. I look so, um, teenage awkward. IMO, it isn't really all that sexy. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Mastiff, if they were animated, one of them would perform a complete walkover. One of them would probably be laughing. The last two are cut from a picture of me standing next to my sister. It is totally innocent. I can mail you the picture if you want to see it. I look so, um, teenage awkward. IMO, it isn't really all that sexy. Get your mind out of the gutter.

I... simply asked. Who has their mind in the gutter?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    I... simply asked. Who has their mind in the gutter?
    Shhhhhhh. Only my therapist is supposed to know how my twisted mind works.

EDIT: I just voted for # 4 because I felt sorry for the poor thing: it had zero votes. But, mostly, I was tired of having to click the "poll results" button to read my poll.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Apr 2005, 4:28 PM
  2. Are we really that bored?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 29 Oct 2003, 10:35 AM
  3. For those bored today ....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7