Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Aerial photo recommendations?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005

Aerial photo recommendations?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good aerial photo service. My firm is looking to get some more detailed / up-to-date pictures then what the USGS offers. Do they generally charge a single subscription rate, or do you pay each time you need an aerial of an area? I've never dealt much with these services before, so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    This may be of little help to you, as you are in Arizona and I am unfamiliar with Arizona, but here in NJ the state has a GIS office that publishes aerials for free on their web site. They even go so far as to put them in.shp and in MapInfo format. Assuming that Arizona is as up to date and technologically proficient, then they should have them as well; that is purely speculative though. Poke around a little on the stae web sites.

Good luck.

Registered
    May 1997
    Horizon in Rapid City, South Dakota flies the entire west.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am very impressed with the Keyhole service. Dirt cheap and up to date.

Try the LT version first. If you like it, go for the full professional version.

www.keyhole.com

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nnassiff
    This may be of little help to you, as you are in Arizona and I am unfamiliar with Arizona, but here in NJ the state has a GIS office that publishes aerials for free on their web site. They even go so far as to put them in.shp and in MapInfo format. Assuming that Arizona is as up to date and technologically proficient, then they should have them as well; that is purely speculative though. Poke around a little on the stae web sites.

Good luck.
    Just last night, while I was checking on something in the state, I noticed that the State of New Jersey's high-res images are what Google uses for their aerial images of the state. Incredible detail, too, such that I soon found myself losing all track of time mindlessly tracing things like roads, railroads and even high-energy power lines back and forth across the state. (I didn't get to sleep until about 0230 because of that! Grrrrrr... )

I understand that New York also has an extensive high-res image database available for DLing (although they did 'fuzz' some things in late 2001 ).

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004

make sure....

Quote Originally posted by k3ith
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good aerial photo service. My firm is looking to get some more detailed / up-to-date pictures then what the USGS offers. Do they generally charge a single subscription rate, or do you pay each time you need an aerial of an area? I've never dealt much with these services before, so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    Make sure you get ortho-rectification for your images, at a level that will satisfy your needs. Here is a good definition:

http://www.co.yakima.wa.us/gis/Center/OrthoPhotos.html

Also: Try Space Imaging at:

http://www.spaceimaging.com/
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    May 2004
    You might contact your state's DOT. I know my firm has used their aerial imaging services with great success. The people were very helpful in getting us what we needed. Another option may be your regional utility provider. We've used that route also here in eastern Washington.

We used a company called Emerge to get Digital Orthophotos with pretty good results. They have since been bought by another company, but can be found here:
    http://www.ljt.com/emerge.html

If you have the money and the need, Pictometry offers some amazing stuff as well.
    http://www.pictometry.com/

Not sure what the pricing structures are for either company.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Chicago Aerial Photo website
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Dec 2005, 9:34 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 20 Dec 2005, 12:02 AM
  3. Aerial photo blog - Sprol
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Sep 2005, 3:02 PM