Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: overtime/comp time for planners?

Registered
    May 2004

overtime/comp time for planners?

I'm curious how many of you professional planners receive comp time or overtime pay for working over 40 hours a week?

It has been my experience that planners are expected to work over 40 hours a week but every employer I have worked for has given me comp time for those hours. My new employer does not.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am not sure how you classify it, we don't use the word "comp time" around here for the planning division. (All of the other divisions do ) We work our typical day (8-5) and stay as needed for various meetings. We do not clock this hour for hour, we work to get out work done. If we need a few hours off the next morning or that same week we take them. Typically on a meeting day I come into the office around 8:30-9:00 instead of 8. In rare cases I have used "comp time" to take an early Friday afternoon. For the most part, we work to get out work done, meetings are included in "work schedule" and "comp time" is not something we use. With a relatively small Department we haven't had the problem of anyone really abusing the system in place.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We get both comp time and overtime. Mostly if you work more than 40 hours in a week, you get 1.5 hours of comp for each hour over 40 you worked, up to a certain amount (30 hours, I believe). Overtime is more rare. You have to have maxed your comp and not be able to take any comp, before you get overtime. Planners in our office rarely get to that point. We burn up our comp when we can (when it is spring or summer and the sun is shining!). The only time in more than four years I earned overtime was during the adoption of the new subdivision regulations.

My old employer was really crappy about work beyond 40 hours. If you have planning commission and put in more than eight hours that day, you had to take time off the next morning and still be in the office before 10, or lose it. No time and a half and rarely any over time. Not only that but you got accumulated every pay period "personal time", which counted for both sick leave and annual vacation. Cheap bastards!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm part of a collective bargaining unit, and we have 2 ways of dealing with overtime:

1. Those salaried (like me) get "administrative time" for night meetings and anything over 40 hours per week. It's a 1:1 standard (1 hour night meeting = 1 hour of admin time). Admin time can be used as time off, similar to comp time.

2. Those paid hourly (I used to be before my position was re-done) get paid overtime, at 1.5:1, and a minimum of 2 hours for any meetings.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2004
    1) My current employer does not!!!!!!!!! My new employer will give me time off for every millisecond I work over 40 hours!

2) This is an important issue- why the he** shouldn't planning professionals get OT or comp time! Other municipal officials get it!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We're basically the same as NHPlanner, although for the salaried positions the time isn't documented per se, so it's up to you to track how much time you've logged in over 40 hours.

I would love it if there was a set "comp time" plan here. For some reason HR and the higher ups seem to be hesitant to give us anything formal.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    We're basically the same as NHPlanner, although for the salaried positions the time isn't documented per se, so it's up to you to track how much time you've logged in over 40 hours.

I would love it if there was a set "comp time" plan here. For some reason HR and the higher ups seem to be hesitant to give us anything formal.
    They would probably be shocked at how much comp time you would incur. I have a feeling that is why we don't use formal "comp time". If we did, none of us would be here during "normal" business hours as I probably put in 15-20 hours a week in evening meetings.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    They would probably be shocked at how much comp time you would incur. I have a feeling that is why we don't use formal "comp time". If we did, none of us would be here during "normal" business hours as I probably put in 15-20 hours a week in evening meetings.
    LOL, I'd much rather use the comp time to add to vacation time, since we don't get too much vacation time anyway. I previously worked for a city that had a formalized tracking system, and although the top you could bank was 40 hours, no one ever abused the policy. It was more like a reward for getting all your work done.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    With my previous employer I was given Comp Time for all hours over 40. And the time was given at time and a half if not taken in the same week. In my new position I don't get JACK!!! I don't agree with it, but I took the position as a learning experience.

Off Topic -

So far I've learned a bit, but it seems like planners here are really managers of review and don't really get to the nuts and bolts... In the smaller town of 25k where I was I did it all, with exception to those things requiring an engineer... I feel like a paper pusher now!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    It's up to me to track it, and submit it to my Dept. Head and Finance whenever I use admin time....here's my current rundown:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails admintime.jpg  
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    First the whole 40 hour work week is foreign to me, I only ever worked 35 hour weeks (8:30-4:40 with an our off for lunch).

On comp time, here it is formalized, after 35 hours you can either take it at 1.5 times pay or 2 times time off. In order to claim it, it must be preapproved by your manager.

Other places I have worked had a 1 for 1 policy that was pretty informal.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 1997
    Staff, who are paid hourly, get 1.5X comp time or, in the rare cases the budget allows, overtime. I try to encourage staff to take their comp time here and there rather than let it accumulate.

There is no formal comp time for management. We are expected to take an hour here or there, or a half day now and then, when it won't disrupt the schedule, but it isn't a formal system.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    From my fair county's Employee Handbook:

Salaried:
    Employees who are paid a predetermined amount of compensation regardless of the number of hours worked each week.

Exempt:
    An exempt employee is one whose duties and responsibilities are of an executive, administrative, or professional character as described under the Fair Labaor Standards Act and who is paid on a salary basis and is, therefore, exempt from overtime and certain other provisions of the Act. Exempt employees sometimes perform a certain amount of work in excess of the typical 40-hour workweek without additional compensation.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Can private sector folks chime in here? No overtime for me. I am salaried and expected to 8.5 hours a day, which is 42.5 a week. Actually, I'm expected to work as many hours in a week as I can in order to increase my billable hours. I get paid for 40 hours, even thought I might work 45.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We're the same as donk ... 35 hour work week. We get flex time at 1:1 over 35 hours a week that can be used as time off (up to a maximum of 14 hours over a month). The cool thing is that we can bank a half hour a day if we chose to have a half hour lunch; thats above and beyond any other extra hours. So we can, and often do, get an extra couple of days off a month in addition to vacation time.

I was aware of this flex policy when I started years ago but thought it was one of those "paper" policies that staffers feared to use. A couple of weeks after I started my GM's assistant called me up to remind me that my flex bank was filling up and that I needed to take a day off ASAP. I've used it regularly since then.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    "Management" personnel get no comp time. General employees (Assistant Planenrs) do. We "managers" do, however, get pretty generous "personal leave" in addition to our standard annual vacation time-and we can cash in this management leave for money, if we don't need/want the vacation time.

Registered
    May 2004
    That's the whole thing about my new employer that is a little upsetting. Is that we are expected to work over 40 hours a week and we do not earn comp time. So when you work a night meeting you are still expected to be in work at 8 or earlier the next day and work till 5 no exceptions. If we didn't earn comp time but they were understanding and somewhat flexible about it it might be acceptable to me.

Of course i understand the issue of salaried employees versus hourly and what not. But to hear an employer say that you must work 40 hours a week because anything less is stealing from the employer - doesn't the same hold true that if you do not get compensated for anything more the employer is stealing from you?
    Last edited by imaplanner; 21 Jun 2005 at 4:29 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2002
    I get a choice between comp time at time and a half or OT at time and a half...and the comp time can be accumulated, even into a new year.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm on salary but earn 1.5 hours of comp time when I work overtime.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We get 40 hours of admin time each Oct 1; it's supposed to compensate for all our night/weekend work, but it never comes close. So no, we don't get actual comp time or overtime.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Previous job: Formal comp. time calculated at 1.5x .
    Current job: Just get your job done. An afternoon off here and there. A long lunch here or there.......
    Future job: Not sure, probably like my current job with one notable exception: Planning Commission meets during the day not night.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Comp time & travel
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 12 Dec 2008, 5:34 PM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last post: 19 Jul 2007, 3:43 AM
  3. Who gets comp-time and/or flex-time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 17 Jun 2006, 11:35 AM