Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: City with the Most Unusual New Year's Celebration ritual

City with the Most Unusual New Year's Celebration ritual

I know it's not the right season for this, however.
    Coming from Michigan, I never heard of things like this, but across the line they have some:

Port Clinton, OH - Walleye Drop (allegedly the walleye capital of the world - maybe self proclaimed - they drop a 12 foot walleye from a flagpole on the countdown to the new year)

Elmore, OH - Sausage Drop (I guess it is because they have a packing plant there?) I saw an article on this, and assume they still do it.

I have heard of a Pickle drop, but don't know where. Anyone know?

Anyone else have cities that do unusual things to celebrate New Years??
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Does standing out in the biting cold, watching a parade, listening to various bands and cheering at fire works, all the while pretending to have fun, count as unusual? If so, Boston wins mittens down.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    Port Clinton, OH - Walleye Drop (allegedly the walleye capital of the world - maybe self proclaimed - they drop a 12 foot walleye from a flagpole on the countdown to the new year)
    [/B]
    The western basin of Lake Erie is generally considered by sportsmen to be the best walleye fishing area in the country. There are some years that the amount of "walter jay's" taken are lower.....those pesky poor hatch years. But if you look at overall averages since the mid-1970's (total fish, total fisherman, and total pounds)......western Lake Erie wins.

Downtown Port Clinton looks out at the western basin.....and is proud of their status. Their Walleye drop usually makes the national news.

BTW.....PC also makes the national news every June....."May flies" or "June bugs", whatever you call them.....converge on the city in amounts that you would not believe. For a period of about two (2) weeks you walk down sidewalks that are crunchy-sounding. They are everywhere!

They don't celebrate THAT, though, on New Year's Eve. That would bug people.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hands down Detroit. Every December the billboards go up, "Ring in the new year with a bell, not a bang". Seems that Detroiters have a penchant for shooting bullets into the air at midnight. It gets loud as hell and it sort of freaks people out too.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Aug 2012, 2:01 PM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last post: 03 Jan 2012, 1:40 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Dec 2011, 1:20 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Dec 2009, 11:41 PM
  5. New Year's Greetings
    Friday Afternoon Club