Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Good Customer Service!

Registered
    Apr 2003

Good Customer Service!

Today I had to stop into the Alltel dealer here in town because of a password thing for my internet on the cell phone.

The person who helped me was amazingly helpful, was cheery, and it was the best customer service I have ever had. She had to call tech support, and would not hang up with them until it was fixed. When I got back to the office, I e-mailed the company to let them know that she did a great job and was extremely helpful.

Talk about some of your good customer service moments!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    When my girlfriend and I bought a refridgerator, washer, and dryer from Lowe's a month ago for our new place, we had a great salesman look things up for us, recommend a great fridge for the money we're spending and even set aside a dryer from a different store for us to purchase when we got some money later in the week.

Later, we got scared as an older gentleman helped us and he kept saying that the dryer was sold. "Sold?" I asked and he stood there tapping the computer screen.... "Yep, sold, let me check.... yep sold.." tap tap tap... So he went to the back to check on the dryer and was gone for about 30 minutes. I was just about to tell him that we're going to Home Depot, when the original guy showed up and said he couldn't remember my name so he put the dryer under "Dave" and set it aside, so it wouldn't get sold. He even waived the deleivery charge and had a tough time finding our area for sales tax calculations, so he put it as a "special, statewide Colorado sales tax" which is basically nothing

It was pretty good service with the one guy, but I often wonder what would've happened if he hadn't showed up.

Maybe that isn't the best story, but it is the most recent, and I did call the manager for a commendation of the salesman.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I went to Cingular to get phones for my mom and son and their computers were screwed up so I had to come back in several hours when they were finally activated. The salesmen gave me 75% off of all the accessories I needed.

My favorite customer service story is when a furniture company missed their delivery window by 4 minutes, they apologized profusely and refunded the delivery fee.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    A Whole Foods (gourmet/natural food) store opened up about year ago here...their staff is extremely well trained. The employees actually seem sincere when the talk to you at the register...not some canned greeting or question.

Whole Foods is also a great place to get in a cheap meal in NYC. Their prepared foods and sandwiches are very tastey. The stores usually have a seating area as well.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2002
    There is a bike shop in a town about 20 minutes from here that has fantastic customer service. When I was looking for a new road bike I went to 3 local bike shops and only got marginal service. You would think that if you going to drop 2g's on a bike someone would have a little interest in helping you out but NO.

On the recommendation of the then Future Mrs. PBD I went to this bike shop, just to look, or so I thought. I must have riden nearly 10 different bikes, the salesman was adjusting each bike for me, moving the seat up and down, forward and back, adjusting the angle of the neck and everything.

After nearly 2.5 hours of trying different bike, riding on their indoor track, I got a bike that fit me perfect. I left the bike with them so they could put the peddles, computer, water bottle cages, under seat bag, and other little gizmos on it. They told me that when I come back the next day to pick it up to bring my shoes, shorts and jersy and they would put me on the trainer one more time to fine tune the bike. They measured me and everything, (including my inseam )

Lastly, I dropped my bike off for a tune up on a saturday afternoon one time, and they had it ready for me by noon the following monday. Some of the crappy local shops take up to 2-3 weeks to get a tune up. That might be alright if you only ride once a month, but I be lost, and cranky without my bike.

Two thumbs up for Team Active

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Verizone Wireless has a tech repair center in a mall about 15 miles south of here.

I took my cell phone there for a once over/tune up after work a few weeks back. They were extremely busy, but were very prompt with the service.

The staff of young 20 somethings was obviously wiped out from the workload that day. When I thanked them for their great service, one of them looked at another with a confused expressionand said "What did he (meaning me) just say?".

I told 'em I was in the public sector, and didn't hear "thank you" much either.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I was on vacation down at the North Carolina coast last week and stopped in Swansboro to eat at this resterant. the waiteress came to get the order and my 5yr foster daughter asked very politely if that had Macaroni & Cheese. the waitress replied that they didn't and asked what else she would want and she reluctantly requested chicken nugets and fries. After our apetizer and salads the waitress brought our what we ordered and a big bowl of Macaroni and Cheese and asked if she still wanted the chicken nuggets to which my foster daughter replied " no thanks" I was very appreciative of the staff at the resturant that obviously went out of its way to make my child happy. That goes a long ways in my book.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    From my couple of trips to the States I've found generally that the concept of customer service is far more developed in the US than it is here.

I've always had great service when I've been there, especially from waiting staff. The only exception was some bloke in Tandy who reminded me of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

Things are getting generally better here, although the concept of saying 'Have a Nice Day' will never work here as us Brits are just too cynical I'm afraid!

Mind you, having said that our customer service is still far better than the French (I love stereotypes, me )

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    From my couple of trips to the States I've found generally that the concept of customer service is far more developed in the US than it is here.

I've always had great service when I've been there, especially from waiting staff. The only exception was some bloke in Tandy who reminded me of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

Things are getting generally better here, although the concept of saying 'Have a Nice Day' will never work here as us Brits are just too cynical I'm afraid!

Mind you, having said that our customer service is still far better than the French (I love stereotypes, me )
    Off-topic:
    Hey Noj, anyone here stateside try to get you to talk in an American accent?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I recently made a major purchase from Office Depot, including two file cabinets. After I lugged them into my office and pulled open a box, I discovered they were the wrong color. I called the store, expecting them to help me out in some way. I really wanted them to deliver the correct ones and take the first two back. No deal. I returned everything I bought and went to OfficeMax. I picked out two cabinets, identical to the ones I returned to their competitor. The sales person, without prompting from me, said "Do you want to take these with you? Or we will deliver them to you at no extra charge." I shop at Office Max now.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Off-topic:
    Hey Noj, anyone here stateside try to get you to talk in an American accent?
    They can try mate, but I'm not budging!

Seriously though, although I try not to be, I'm a bit of a chameleon when it comes to accents; once I've been in a place for a certain amount of time I started picking up things in my speech.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Customer Service Sucks
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Jun 2014, 9:25 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 4:07 PM
  3. Customer Service Questionnaire
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Nov 2004, 7:48 PM