Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 99 in the Shade

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries

99 in the Shade

"I'm feelin' fine, it's 99 in the shade"
    -"99 in the Shade" by Bon Jovi (1988)

It's supposed to hit 98 degrees in Chicago today. And the heat's not supposed to let up anytime soon. Hottest weather since 1999 and 1995. It's also spreading into the Northeast. What are you doing to cope with the heat?? Planning to go to Summerfest or the Taste of Chicago?? Going to the pool? Enjoying the A/C?? How brown is your lawn getting? Your thoughts...
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Uh, its supposed to be in the upper 90's today...and gee guess the luck, my A/C went out last night Its brand new, had it installed last July because the original one to the house blew out. So hopefully they can make it out today to fix this one...85 degrees last night in the house, I am sure the second floor was even hotter, I know I didn't sleep well at all...boys slept fine though...I will be at the Lake this weekend sittin at the pool, dealing with the heat

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    "I'm feelin' fine, it's 99 in the shade"
    -"99 in the Shade" by Bon Jovi (1988)

It's supposed to hit 98 degrees in Chicago today. And the heat's not supposed to let up anytime soon. Hottest weather since 1999 and 1995. It's also spreading into the Northeast. What are you doing to cope with the heat?? Planning to go to Summerfest or the Taste of Chicago?? Going to the pool? Enjoying the A/C?? How brown is your lawn getting? Your thoughts...
    We've had 98 for a while here. But I fell more sorry for you guys, what with the humidity and all. I've been to Chicago during July/August and that air is THICK!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Going to Taste of Chicago, doing some touristy crap with my Father-in-law and his girlfriend (they're visiting this weekend). Also, take the dog to the beach and just sit in Lake Michigan. Try to cook as little as possible in the kitchen, because, man, that thing heats up fast.

And if I see another person watering their lawn at 5pm I'm going to throttle them. The water is going to evaporate before it even gets in the ground.
    Last edited by mendelman; 24 Jun 2005 at 12:16 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Going to Taste of Chicago, doing some touristy crap with my Father-in-law and his girlfriend (they're visiting this weekend). Also, take the dog to the beach and just sit in Lake Michigan. Try to cook as little as possible in the kitchen, because, man, that thing heats up fast.

And if I see another person watering their lawn at 5pm I going to throttle them. The water is going to evaporate before it even gets in the ground.
    Everytime I've been to the taste it's been 90-95, high humidity and no lake breeze. That's the only way to enjoy the event!

Yes, lawn waterers are the devil's children. We've got a severe drought here. Stop wasting your water.

It's going to be conservativley 96 here today. I'm betting 98-100 with dewpoints in the 70s makes it 105-115 heat index
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003
    I left my computer on at home. I hope it doesn't fry.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Been hot here all week (for us anyway) although theres been storms around up here today. But dry all week in London - no rain in Wimbledon for the tennis, practically unheard of!
    Last edited by noj; 24 Jun 2005 at 12:18 PM. Reason: I need to learn to read better!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im a freak I love the heat and not happy till its well over 80. They are calling for 92 here today and Im thrilled.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Meant to get up into the mid-30s (celcius that is) for the next week up here...no a/c at home, though it stays pretty cool (at least for the first couple of days of a heatwave) as we have good shade. I hate riding my bike in this weather though.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Heat index 100+ combined with ozone =
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    We are in the same boat as Chicago today. After work I think I am going to go to South Haven and spend some quality time with Lake Michigan.

Until then, I will go from my Air Conditioned Apartment, to an Air Conditioned Car, to and Air Conditioned locally owned food serving business, and back.

This skier does not do well in the heat. It makes things worse when I am a shirt and tie.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Nov 2004

This is Ireland...

We dont get heat. Every one of you Americans who goes a lobster colour when you even glance in the direction of the sun, thats the Irish blood in you whimpering with fear at the thought of temperatures above 20 degrees celsius (70F).

I worked in Ocean City during the summer of 2000. I remember on the 4th of July it went up to 104. I was working in a horrid Days Inn hotel, owned by a stingy cheapskate (just thought I'd put that in) . All of the ancient ACs were blowing out, and myself and another fellow basically spent the day and night running from room to room replacing them. It stayed at that temperature for around a week. I was as brown as a brazil nut at the end of it all, rather than my usual deathly pallour.

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- I'm Irish and I tan nicely. (although members of my family don't). It has always seemed to me that the lobsters tend to come from the pasty Anglo stock.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    It's been in the high 80's to mid 90's hear for 10 days or so, which is really rare for Nodak. Love the heat, but it's been really humid as well. Rain showers every other day don't help much.

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    ^-- I'm Irish and I tan nicely. (although members of my family don't). It has always seemed to me that the lobsters tend to come from the pasty Anglo stock.
    Not neccesarily. I don't tan, I get bad sunburns and don't have a drop of english, irish or scottish blood. Mine comes from my Swedish grandmother along with the reddish hair, hazel eyes, and Viking sized body.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's been gorgeous here lately... mid-60s to low-70s (high teens for C temps.) I just checked the weather for Bass Lake, CA, where I will be starting next Friday and it's forecast says low- to mid-90s (low 30s for the metric types).

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We just got back from a week in Maine. Beautiful - 70s during the day, cool 50s at night, barely any humidity. Came back to 100+ heat index, high humidity and it's just the start of summer. Gotta love Houston - sweating by 8am.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You'll see me shirtless and in a pair of loose shorts heading north after work today. Glad to not be spending the weekend in the city, but in the country on a well treed lot.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Its at least 90 degrees in Green Bay.

My pub is on the second floor above a restaurant.

I have no AC in here yet. The plans are being reviewed at the zoning department and it may start being installed next week if I am lucky.

It will be 92 degrees in the pub at opening rather than 102 degrees because I have:

3 six bladed, 3 speed, 20 inch air movers in each of the windows and back door.
    1, four bladed, 2 speed 24 inch, 4000 cfm air pusher moving air through the center of the pub.

Brutal on the money making effort to say the least!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    It will be 92 degrees in the pub at opening rather than 102 degrees because I have:

1, four bladed, 2 speed 24 inch, 4000 cfm air pusher moving air through the center of the pub.

I wonder if there is anything else you can do to keep it cool. How much sun a place gets, keeping the place shaded, ....I don't know enough about the heat situation of your place to really suggest anything. I am just wondering out loud. In my experience, if you can prevent the heat from getting in to begin with and/or increase the cooling effect of ..."design" type features......god, I really can't even put this into words right now. I just think air conditioning and fans are kind of a 'brute force' method applied to a poorly designed space. A place is also more comfortable if the building itself is cooler rather than artificially cooling the air in it because the building is a hot house. When we lived in Texas in a crackerbox apartment, the walls and everything always felt hot when it was 105 outside and running the air conditioner nonstop and fans to boot never made the place truly comfortable. In contrast, in the Mojave Desert, it had to be 115+ every day for more than a week (a rare event) before you began feeling like you just couldn't escape the furnace you were living in. The buildings were designed differently. And you can implement passive solar effects without necessarily doing a LOT to the building. There are small things you can do to keep it from heating up so much to begin with.

I bet I sound like a fruitcake.

Registered
    May 2003
    Northern buildings aren't really designed to repel heat because heat waves are rare.

It's much more useful for buildings to be able to absorb solar heat in the winter than for them to be able to repel them in the summer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Urban Heat people... Urban Heat. That means: Run to the countryside....if there's anything left that isn't suburbanized...

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Guys just came out and fixed my A/C..thank goodness...would have made for a long weekend for the boys and fat lab ...I will be at the Lake so I won't mind the heat for the nesxt day or so...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Its at least 90 degrees in Green Bay.

My pub is on the second floor above a restaurant.

I have no AC in here yet. The plans are being reviewed at the zoning department and it may start being installed next week if I am lucky.

Mid to upper 30s and *HUMID* here, too, though not likely to make it ip to 40. I am about 50 km southwest of DoD.

Mike

Air Conditioning and ICE COLD Beer! I can't handle anything hotter than the low-80's. Plus, I burn very easily so I prefer to stay inside/in the shade anyway.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Shade tree program in California
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Mar 2009, 12:46 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last post: 29 Jun 2005, 12:20 PM