Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ring roads

Registered
    Apr 2005

Ring roads

I need examples of cities that have ring roads.
    Anybody can help me?

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Try Washington DC (495 Beltway) or Atlanta, if I understand what you are looking for. I think there are plenty others also.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about Lexington, Kentucky? New Circle Road, or Circle 4, as my uncle called it.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Houston, Washington, Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Boston, Indianapolis, Denver, Dallas, Fort Worth, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis, Norfolk, San Antonio and a bunch of others.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cirrus
    Houston, Washington, Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Boston, Indianapolis, Denver, Dallas, Fort Worth, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis, Norfolk, San Antonio and a bunch of others.
    Appleton, WI (US 41/WI 441), Green Bay, WI (I-43/US 41/WI 172), both metro areas have about 200K population.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2005

Pictures and explanations

Thanks!

I´ll search some pictures and explanations about them...

Anyone in Europe?

This brings up another more interesting question:
    What major US cities DO NOT have ring roads around them.

Does New York City? Los Angeles? Chicago? Seattle? Should you count 280/680 in San Francisco?

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Well... what's a "ring road"? NY and LA certainly have suburb-to-suburb highways, but they're not ring-shaped due to the geography. It depends how loosely you define the term.

Well... what's a "ring road"? NY and LA certainly have suburb-to-suburb highways, but they're not ring-shaped due to the geography. It depends how loosely you define the term.

Hmmm. A definition (just for cyburbia).

Ring Road: a limited access highway, situated at least several miles beyond a city's downtown that more or less arcs aound the central business district and never approaches ths CBD. A ring road should (or plan to) connect many suburbs and not be limited to one or two communities.

This would exclude highways that connect two or more suburbs, but don't really have a regional impact (say a highway bisecting Long Island but doesn't extend to CT or NJ)
    It also arbitrarily excludes streets such as those in Vienna Austria which are circumfrential but aren't highways.

Can you tell I am an academic and not a transportation planner?

Cities

I'm not sure how much detail you need, but a short list would be:

Baltimore
    Washington, DC
    Dallas

If you go to "maps.google.com and type in city name and state you can see a graphic representation of ring roads in map form or in a satelite image.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Edmonton (Canada, not Kentucky) is in the process of building theirs still.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by fatimalp
    Thanks!

I´ll search some pictures and explanations about them...

Anyone in Europe?
    Almost all small and large English cities have ring roads (Cheltenham, Swindon, London, etc.). The point being: is a limited-access beltway considered a ring road?

P.S. Boston had the first beltway in the U.S.: Route 128.
    Last edited by jmello; 20 Jun 2005 at 5:16 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Great list Cirrus, all good examples. San Antonio came to my mind immediately.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Seek and you shall find.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Pittsburgh

Correct me if I am wrong.....

Didn't Pittsburgh originally have a series of loops that encircled the metropolitan area, each with a color label.....such as Orange Loop or Orange Belt or Orange Route? If I remember, these were actually non-limited-access roads.

Are they still there and signed as such?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I-287 would certainly qualify in my book as a 'ring' roadway around NYC. Yes, I know that the Atlantic Ocean and Long Island Sound are in the way of it being a complete circle, but it does go from the shoreline northeast of the city to the shoreline at the south edge of the city.

Also, NCDOT is busy building a ring freeway (I-485) around Charlotte, NC.

Mike

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Correct me if I am wrong.....

Didn't Pittsburgh originally have a series of loops that encircled the metropolitan area, each with a color label.....such as Orange Loop or Orange Belt or Orange Route? If I remember, these were actually non-limited-access roads.

Are they still there and signed as such?

Bear
    I'm pretty sure that the Belt System is still signed. I can't make sense of them. I read once how inefficient they are, but I can't remember how many miles out of a person's way they can go.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup
    This brings up another more interesting question:
    What major US cities DO NOT have ring roads around them.

Does New York City? Los Angeles? Chicago? Seattle? Should you count 280/680 in San Francisco?
    It is a shame that Chicago doesn't have one. However, I think there are plans to build a ring road. Dubbed the "Prairie Parkway", the first leg will go from I-88 near Elburn to I-80 near Minooka. A whole system from Waukegan to Richmond to Hampshire to Elburn to Minooka to Peotone to Crown Point to Michigan City is possible but there has been no r.o.w. set aside, no engineering, no studies, no funding set aside, except for the first leg which I mentioned (no wonder, it's in Hastert's district).

But we'll probably all be dead by the time this enormously huge road project is ever complete.

http://www.prairie-parkway.com
    Last edited by illinoisplanner; 21 Jun 2005 at 11:24 PM. Reason: wrong hyperlink
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    It is a shame that Chicago doesn't have one. However, I think there are plans to build a ring road. Dubbed the "Prairie Parkway", the first leg will go from I-88 near Elburn to I-80 near Minooka. A whole system from Waukegan to Richmond to Hampshire to Elburn to Minooka to Peotone to Crown Point to Michigan City is possible but there has been no r.o.w. set aside, no engineering, no studies, no funding set aside, except for the first leg which I mentioned (no wonder, it's in Hastert's district).

But we'll probably all be dead by the time this enormously huge road project is ever complete.

http://www.prairie-parkway.com
    The Tri-State Tollway (I-294) was originally built in the 1950s as a bypass beltway around the Chicago urbanized area. Chicagoland grew around it since then, such that it is now just another urban/suburban arterial. Also, I-355 could be the next outward 'ring', if the proposed North Tollway in Lake County and a potential south/southeastern extension from I-80 in Will County into Indiana are built.

Right now, I-43, I-39 and I-74 seem to function as an outer-outer-outer 'ring' road around Chicagoland, carrying an impressive amount of cross-country through traffic.

Mike

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and Dublin, Ireland

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    If you want an example of a smaller city with one, check out Elizabethtown, Kentucky. Ironically, it is called Ring Road
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by fatimalp
    Anyone in Europe?
    Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Paris (the peripherique).

Look at city maps, and you'll find out that many big cities have some kind of ring road.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by maarten
    Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Paris (the peripherique).

Look at city maps, and you'll find out that many big cities have some kind of ring road.
    Doesn't Barcelona have a complete 'ring' freeway?

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Mgk920, Barcelona is “Ringed” by the Ronda De Litoral on the east, north and south side, connecting to the Rondo De Dalt on the west. It goes right up to the Sea though, ugh! That's par for American auto crazied cities, but in Europe (built so close to the water)?

Bill

“Get out! Just go! We are through! Through! Because of your actions, you scorpion woman!”

- Ron Burgundy

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Your ring tone(s)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 1:36 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 Aug 2008, 2:57 PM
  3. Let Freedom Ring
    Friday Afternoon Club