Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you tan? AIB 99 in the shade...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

How do you tan? AIB 99 in the shade...

So How do you tan. Folks mentioned Irish stock vs. Anglo, Scandinavian and like.

This Planner, while currently peeling on his back, tends to tan well.
    Must be the rare Hungarian Gypsy stock. We're used to being out in the sun traveling on rickety cart (or caravans now I guess) and tend to brown like aged leather. Of course my Welsh side comes out in the winter, as I can be as pasty white as an ex U.S. president.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I dont burn much, a few min and I start to turn a nice gold brown color and if I am not careful by the end of the summer folks quietly start to ask if Im "mixed" or "one of those Oreos"

its pretty funny.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    I dont burn much, a few min and I start to turn a nice gold brown color and if I am not careful by the end of the summer folks quietly start to ask if Im "mixed" or "one of those Oreos"

its pretty funny.
    I hear ya PG, back in Grad school when I picked up my second job mowing grass for the city I'd hear the same stuff. Of course now my skin is so damaged that my neck looks dirty all summer and I have spots I have to watch closely. Sunscreen made the dust stick while mowing....
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Sizzzzle. Mr. Gedunker, you're cooked!

My fair Scandinavian skin does not tolerate the sun well at all. And now that more of my scalp is visible than ever before, I really have to be careful to cover up before spending any length of time out-of-doors in the summer.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am a vampire ...or at least I look like one. So I have two shades: deathly white and lobster red.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm fair-skinned with freckles. I burn really easy right now due to medication I am on, which should be interesting next week when we take the kids hiking for a few days in Cali.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I have two shades.. Pale in the winter and dark pale in the summer.

I do tan, rarely burn. My tan is barely noticeable to most people including myself....until my shirt comes off. Can you say farmer tan?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Lobster
    Like Gedunker I too must wear a hat.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Red below my biking short and jersey. Tan under the helmet.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Used to go nice and brown during the summers when I was a kid. Now, I tend to burn pretty easily. I'm careful about putting on sunscreen if I'm going to be out in the sun for long periods of time. My arms are tanning nicely with all the bike riding this year, and I have the hardcore bicycle glove tan line (small tanned patch on the back of each hand).

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I tan a nice even light brown when out in the sun enough. I have to be in the sun for a very long time directly exposed, at the beginning of the season in order to burn, but if's not much of problem now that I spend most daytime in my neon light tomb...
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    When I was younger I would fry anytime I got into the sun, slowly I have been building up a tan. In the winter months, many people in the UP will go to tanning beds (one place is a Tanning/Laundry facilty called Suds n' Sun) to fight S.A.D. I think that is when things started to change for me. Now I will still get crispy, but it with a good moisturizer it goes to dark!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My tan takes a process something along the lines of burn, peel, repeat... After about three cycles of this I will start displaying a semblance of color, other than the usual pink, that some people might consider a tan. I have managed to get somewhat dark back when I was spending every summer day at the beach, without protection. That most likely wasn't the healtiest thing to do so, anymore, I wear a visor and lather on the SPF 45.

Could somebody get my back.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I get very tan, burn once at the beginning of the summer then tan the rest of the season. Thing is it fades SSOOOO fast...I hang at the pool, lake or boat every weekend and by Friday I am 2 shades lighter...skin must shed quickly

My Irish skin does not allow me to tan very well. I can get myself to a slightly darker shade of pale than usual by the end of the summer, but I don't bother anymore. I like to think of my skin as "milky" rather than just "pale".

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    My tan takes a process something along the lines of burn, peel, repeat... After about three cycles of this I will start displaying a semblance of color, other than the usual pink, that some people might consider a tan. I have managed to get somewhat dark back when I was spending every summer day at the beach, without protection. That most likely wasn't the healtiest thing to do so, anymore, I wear a visor and lather on the SPF 45.

Could somebody get my back.
    I have heard that if you load up on the essential fatty acids, that reduces how vulnerable you are to burning.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Off-topic:
    One time, I walked by two coworkers talking about how "pastey" they are and how badly then tan. One of them then turned to me and said, "oh you're so lucky to not have this problem. I wish I had your tan." I replied, "so you want to be black? That's how you get a tan like this." I went on a bit further with what it's like to be black and, needless to say, shut her up. Statements like that rank way up there with "some of my best friends are black." My advice - think twice before saying something stupid like that to anybody.

Back on topic, despite wearing a ton of the strongest sunblock I can find, I still tan, so I try to either avoid the sun, or tan as evenly as possible. There's nothing worse than a sock or sleeve tan.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I have heard that if you load up on the essential fatty acids, that reduces how vulnerable you are to burning.
    sounds like an essential piece of advice, thanks!

Folks stay out of the sun, use your sunscreen like Planderella does and the rest of us, I worry about the UV rays. Theres skin cancer in everyone of my immedetiate family members. even my kidshave the flare ups of skin cells reacting to sun in a negative way. freckles moles, some are cute..

I swear sometimes a full body wrap in cloth appeals to me

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Being blonde, fair and freckly, and easy to get sun and heat exhaustion, I stay out of the sun as much as I can. When I do go out, I try to always wear a light long sleeved shirt to hide my arms. But over the years I've managed to get a farmer's tan with a white ban around my left wrist from my watch.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I used to start out with a nice red burn that faded to a good tan. That was when I was a kid or in school. I worked in parks in HS and college, and always got a good summer tan that way. Over the last 20 years I've had enough little bits cut off me due to skin cancer that I now just stay out of the sun. I do have a left arm tan, though.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I tan well and easily. Unfortunately, it has rained here for the last 4 weekends so I am way too pale.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I do burn but I have been noticing that with my water aerobic classes that I am tanning quite nicely.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Tan?????

What is this tan you are speaking of. Are you crazy? Why would anyone want to invite wrinkles to their face and invite skin spots on their body. No, no, no...Adams family color skin for me....slow that aging process way down.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    All of my life this Bear has tanned well.....almost too well. The kind of tan that folks get jealous over. But, alas.....all is not well in "Bear's Tanville". Mr. & Mrs. Radiation & Chemotherapy came over so I have to limit my time in the sun.....or my time will be limited .

Katie yells at me if I spend some time outside. She sure keeps me in line. Then, to top it off, the little bit of sun I do get turns brown and she says (just after she returned from the tanning booth place), "How'd you get so tanned?"

Just for general info: If you go to a nudist club, the regulars there usually refer to the newbies as "white tails". There is even a White Tail Camp, in PA.

Bear In The Oven
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    A proper Anglo-Saxon me, so I burn very easily.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Shade tree program in California
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Mar 2009, 12:46 PM
  2. 99 in the Shade
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 27 Jun 2005, 12:21 AM