• The roots are food!

3 23.08%
  • Other

3 23.08%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fish question.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Fish question.

When I graduated from NMU several years ago, the girl that I was dating at the time bought me one of those Easter Lilly’s in a water bowl with a Bata fish in it. Well the original one died some years ago after living for more than a year. Since then I have and 1 or 2 and today I bought a replacement.

I have heard mix things about if I should or should not feed these guys. Some sources (and the little card that came with it) said that the fish should not need much if any food, and will eat off the roots of the plant.

What are your thoughts on it? (see poll above)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I voted other. "You eat it" Betas are tasty.

Just kidding. We have had a beta for about 2 years now, and we feed him about every day, just a couple food pellets/
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

I have never been able to keep one of those fish alive. I voted "other" because of my own lack of success with these fish. Good Luck!

Me too

Quote Originally posted by Ass. Planner
    I have never been able to keep one of those fish alive. I voted "other" because of my own lack of success with these fish. Good Luck!
    I had one in my locker my senior year of high school. He woulda survived, had I not inadvertently dumped him down the bathroom sink while trying to change his water. He did good for the 5 months that I had him without any light, but I did feed him pellets once in a while. Those are hardy fish.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    You're a good Catholic, right? When I saw your post with "fish" in the title, the first thing I thought of was ...

"Hey der ... dat look like some gut eatink der!"
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Here's an idea Mike. There is this internet thing. Sort of an Oracle of Delphi but without all the intoxicating fumes. You might google Beta fish and see what the Oracle has to say. Or, maybe a pet store may have advice. While I do like to encourage all the citizens to consider planners the subject matter experts on all questions, seeing as you are one of us, I have to be honest and tell you that we are not actually all knowing and all seeing. Well, Chet and Dan are, but you know the rest of us are not.

Perhaps Michele Zone could research this issue for you also? She is highly regarded for her research skills. I mean that in a nice way MZ
    Last edited by el Guapo; 26 Jun 2005 at 3:46 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Perhaps Michele Zone could research this issue for you also? She highly regarded for her research skills. I mean that in a nice way MZ
    Thank you for the compliment but I don't think I have ever owned any pet of any kind and I kill most plants that have the misfortune of ending up in my possession. I do great with kids, but non-human life forms are generally in great danger of dying in my household.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    The people who came up with the "bettas will eat roots" crap are complete IDIOTS. Bettas are carnivorous fish and MUST be fed real food. You can get betta food pellets at almost any store. Buy him some food and keep him fed (just 3 a day or so). If you expect him to eat roots he is going to starve to death. Also fully change his bowl once per week with dechlorinated water.

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_in_a_vase.htm

http://beautifulbettas.com/feeding.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Mar 2011, 10:21 AM
  2. Favorite Fish (To Eat)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 04 Mar 2008, 12:14 PM
  3. Big Fish in the Pond
    Friday Afternoon Club