Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Really, really stupid fashion trends

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Really, really stupid fashion trends

Yesterday, on the way home from work, I saw a bunch of kids walking down an inner cty street. They were all wearing plain white t-shirts. The trend has been popular for the past year or so, but the shirts have gradually gotten longer, and longer, and longer. The shirts on these kids were all hanging below the knees, as if they were wearing Saudi-style robes.

Pretty soon, the trend is going toreach the point where white t-shirts hit the ankles, after which it'll probably be quickly dropped. What odd fashion trends have you been noticing lately?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    At least you couldn't see that their pants were hanging to there knees as well. Or were they wearing their belts at their knees below the shirts?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    What odd fashion trends have you been noticing lately?
    That one where hot ladies wear clothing. Bizarre.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    What odd fashion trends have you been noticing lately?
    Skirts/dresses over pants/jeans: hate it!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    there was an entire rap song that came out earlier this year dedicated to white t-shirts.

Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Ugh! Tell me about it! Now add giant aviator sunglasses, a cup of starbucks in one hand, and a cell phone in the next and you have my college campus right there!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've also seen the super long tee-shirt and man does it look stupid. I'd just hope I didn't have to suddenly run if I was wearing one. I can already see some kid running down the street holding his tee-shirt up around his waist like a hoop skirt.

Another stupid trend I've noticed is guys wearing two polo (golf) shirts one on top of the other. Invariably the outer one will be an Izod with the alligator logo on the chest and the collar is always starched and flipped up. Looks pretty dumb to me.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    In cycling there is no shortage of the OCP - Obsesive Compulsive Pousers. Thses guy can't ride worth ****, yet they have enough money to buy a bike almost as crazy expensive as a Lance Armstrong special. Add to that a manic facination with shaving grams off of the total weight of a bicycle and you have people that have never, and will never race a bike purchasing $120 carbon fiber water bottle cages and $600 shoes. Also they own the entire kit (cloths) of an obscure euro racing team. They hanf out at starbucks and talk trash about their crit times. Gimme a brake!

Also the new urban style is for your ball cap to fit over your entire head. No longer is it to be askew. Now it is to be so large as to totally engulf one's head.
    Last edited by el Guapo; 26 Jun 2005 at 2:35 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I don't get out enough and I don't own a TV. So the only "stupid fashion trend" I am aware of is that most of the clothing my oldest child owns is orange.
    (Which doesn't actually have anything to do with "fashion" -- he really doesn't give a flip what anyone thinks about how he dresses.)

And y'all wonder why I am so warped.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Howabout all of the body-piercing, such that some look like human pincushions, especially tongue studs and ear piercings that look like they are parts of industrial bearing assemblies? I'm also not really turned on by all of the tattooing going on, and scatch my head at all of the younger women with those wierd tattoos in the smalls of their backs.

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    In cycling there is no shortage of the OCP - Obsesive Compulsive Pousers. Thses guy can't ride worth ****, yet they have enough money to buy a bike almost as crazy expensive as a Lance Armstrong special. At to that a manic facination with shaving grams off of the total weight of a bicycle and you have people that have never, and will never race a bike purchasing $120 carbon fiber water bottle cages and $600 shoes. Also they own the entire kit (cloths) of an obscure euro racing team. They hanf out at starbucks and talk trash about their crit times. Gimme a brake!

Also the new urban style is for your ball cap to fit over your entire head. No longer is it to be askew. Now it is to be so large as to totally engulf one's head.
    Do you wear any lycra at all, EG? I do

The XXL white shirts have been popular for at least a half a decade now. They're cheap; people can buy 'em by the 10-pack and throw them away when they get dirty for cheaper than the quarters they cost at the laundromat. Thus is the consequence of living in a service economy where the fruits of sweatshop labor from faraway lands make local economies obsolete.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    I love it. I just want to rip the jeans off and feel the beauty underneath her freakn artistic mind. I will touch her smooth, sexy, legs, and smile as I search my way around her fabulous body.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Nipples
    I love it. I just want to rip the jeans off and feel the beauty underneath her freakn artistic mind. I will touch her smooth, sexy, legs, and smile as I search my way around her fabulous body.

Settle down boy, settle down!

Th popped collars has got to stop, it's terrible.
    “Do you think the porter and the cook have no anecdotes, no experiences, no wonders for you? The walls of their minds are scrawled all over with thoughts. They shall one day bring a lantern and read the inscriptions.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    and scatch my head at all of the younger women with those wierd tattoos in the smalls of their backs.
    I recently heard those referred to as "Ass Antlers". They'll look "su-wheet" in 30 years, tho'.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Do you wear any lycra at all, EG? I do

Sure, I wear cycling shorts. Sometimes I wear regular shorts over them if I am going on a utility trip on my bike. I can't walk into a library in cycling shorts. I'm a conservative dammit!

Sometimes I ride in just cycling shorts and a jersey (mostly beer brands) if is exclusively a road bike ride. But I never will shove this fat body into the Discovery Channel kit and pose like a road king.

Most rides are in a hi-viz technical shirt or my hi-viz rain jacket and black shorts with cycling shorts underneath. Moi? Aucun poser!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    All the boys my son's age (12) wear the requisite huge white t-shirt but over it have to have a polyester Wal-Mart shirt, black with big orange and red flames. Ick.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Good thing this Bear was a high school student in the sixties (60's). We didn't cow-tow to all these ridiculous fashion trends. We were cool. We had style. We had.....

1. Jeans and white t-shirts for every boy in public school.
    2. Conservative skirt with solid color top for every girl in high school.
    3. Uniforms for every kid in Catholic school.

Then The Beatles arrived.

1. Jeans and white t-shirts for every boy in public school, with "Beatle boots".
    2. Conservative skirt with solid color top for every girl in high school, with "Beatle boots".
    3. Uniforms for every kid in Catholic school.

Then the late 1960's arrived.

1. Matching outfits for high school kids going "steady". (Calling Ann Margaret.)
    2. Madras.
    3. Chuck Taylor high-top black canvas tennis shoes.
    4. Bells.
    5. San Francisco shirts (flowers and all....calling Scott McKenzie) with corduroy vests.
    6. Long hair.
    7. Drugs, sex, rock and roll. (The world was forever changed.)

Gimme A "W"......Goooooooo Panthers! Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ahhh... Who could ever forget the 80's? How about women with bandanas (ala Olivia Newton John) or leg warmers (Flashdance). For the guys it was thin ties and flipped-up collars. We all had interesting fabrics and patterns too.

Yes, this is Cardinal in the 80's. I don't think there is a picture of me in my green plaid jacket (think of Peter Gabriel videos).

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2004
    That photo is awesome! WAIT! Is that "A Flock of Seagulls" I hear in the background? I have no room to talk though. I had plenty of the thin black ties and loads of Generra & Shah Safari in my closet. Anyone here peg their jeans? Now that was cool.

Nice pic Card-tough to top that one!

Brian
    Last edited by spokanite; 27 Jun 2005 at 1:13 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    So much material to work with...must remain silent...too much in one photo...Arrrgggggg! It hurts!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Is that a cow... on the wall?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Council Estate areas. Girls wearing cotton pyjamas (top and bottoms) out and about town. Serious. they wear trainers, jackets etc, but the main item of clothing, is their cotton snoopy/pooh bear pyjamas. Very bizzare. It started about 5 years ago and shows no sign of abating. Its generally only worn by girls who have children at 15 and like shouting abuse at strangers.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    Council Estate areas.
    That's enough for me to say that I thank God, Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, Shiva, Vishnu, Ganesh, the Buddha, Ronald Reagan, the Great Sprit, and the Womyn's Goddess Brigid that we don't have chavs in the United States.

The 1980s - you know, I actually thought leg warmers and stirrup pants on women looked kinda' hot. Early and mid-1980s women's fashions were fun, and they drove em to get many a crush in that era. When was the last time you saw a Troop jacket or Michael Jackson jacket, though? I still laugh when I think of people spending $400 on a jacket that went out of style in a year or so.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

...we don't have chavs in the United States.

Yeah, b/c we have enough wiggas pimpin' around.
    The 1980s - you know, I actually thought leg warmers and stirrup pants on women looked kinda' hot. Early and mid-1980s women's fashions were fun, and they drove em to get many a crush in that era. When was the last time you saw a Troop jacket or Michael Jackson jacket, though? I still laugh when I think of people spending $400 on a jacket that went out of style in a year or so.
    Leg warmers were extremely hot. I didn't have an MJ jacket but I a Members Only. Those are still sweet.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Sep 2012, 2:20 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Mar 2010, 1:35 PM
  3. Google Trends
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Jun 2008, 10:38 PM
  4. Immigration Trends in Canada