Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Toledo VS Grand Rapids VS Lansing VS Flint

Quote Originally posted by Peter Bratt
    West Michigan is a pretty conservative place, but some sections are trending Democratic. Here are the results:

Kent County:
    Bush 59% (171,201)
    Kerry 41%(116,909)

City of Grand Rapids (core city)
    Bush 44% (36,115)
    Kerry 56% (45,794)

Wyoming (First-ring manufacturing suburb, conservative economically and socially)
    Bush 61% (15,924)
    Kerry 39% (10,271)

Kentwood (First-ring, white-collar suburb)
    Bush 58% (10,474)
    Kerry 42% (7,694)

Grandville (Second-ring manufacturing suburb)
    Bush 75% (4,959)
    Kerry 25% (1,627)

East Grand Rapids (economic-conservative/social-liberal suburb)
    Bush 55% (3,807)
    Kerry 45% (3,107)

Byron Township (conservative, newly forming bedroom suburb)
    Bush 78% (6,295)
    Kerry 22% (1,747)

Ottawa County:
    Bush 72% (92,048)
    Kerry 28% (35,552)

Muskegon County:
    Bush 44% (35,302)
    Kerry 56% (44,282)

All data from the State of Michigan election website
    It would be interesting to compare these results to the 2000 election.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    BKM wrote: "Detroit is still a major economic center. Middle-sized cities like Grand Rapids (and Toledo) are largely now "branch plant" towns."

These issues have also impacted large cities too. For example, Kmart has just bought Sears and will move its HQ from the Detroit area to the Chicago area. Detroit only has one bank locally owned left: Comerica, and Mercedes bought Chrysler.

What I was attempting to do was to show that the old money that built cities in the past left legacies that Cities that are growing today will never reap benefits from due to the tighter economic controls. Toledo was blessed with some very important benafactors that created lots of public amenities (as was Detroit). I was just pointing out things that support Bear's statements regarding it being a destination.

Too often I see there is divisiveness and snide remarks made towards blue collar/union type cities. What people seem to forget is that the industrial and labor revolutions are a very important part of our country's history and essentially created today's shrinking middle class.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    BKM wrote: "Detroit is still a major economic center. Middle-sized cities like Grand Rapids (and Toledo) are largely now "branch plant" towns."

These issues have also impacted large cities too. For example, Kmart has just bought Sears and will move its HQ from the Detroit area to the Chicago area. Detroit only has one bank locally owned left: Comerica, and Mercedes bought Chrysler.

What I was attempting to do was to show that the old money that built cities in the past left legacies that Cities that are growing today will never reap benefits from due to the tighter economic controls. Toledo was blessed with some very important benafactors that created lots of public amenities (as was Detroit). I was just pointing out things that support Bear's statements regarding it being a destination.

Too often I see there is divisiveness and snide remarks made towards blue collar/union type cities. What people seem to forget is that the industrial and labor revolutions are a very important part of our country's history and essentially created today's shrinking middle class.
    Well, as an ex-midwesterner, it's strange to say the least to live in a place with an economy so ephemeral, so little based on "real" industry as I understood it.

Although, they do manufacture weak beer (Bud), jelly beans and chocolate bars in my city of employment

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Prying Open An Old Thread

I just had to pry this old thread open, because some of us have been asking about Grand Rapids, MI.....the home of GrandStan07. The thread contains some good info from GR residents, friends of GR, and folks who know the town.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I am going to once again pipe up and say that Grand Rapids currently has over TWO BILLION dollars worth of development at various stages of the process, and at once point last summer had 6 large tower cranes in operation, an overwhelming amount of redevelopment within former industrial plant and warehouses that prove that adaptive reuse can work, and is home to one of the nations largest historic residential districts… all within downtown.

As if that is not good enough, it is the leading city in number of projects that are LEED certified, is going to be the new home to the MSU medical School, and is home to 3 very large hospital groups, (Spectrum, St. Mary’s and Metropolitan) all which have at least 3 significant hospitals. Two of them St. Mary’s and Spectrum/Butterworth are located within walking distance of the core of the city.

It also has the largest job growth of any city of the three listed and is expected to increase that even more for this year. Its economic base is booming at amazing speeds with a diversified economic base ranging from office, conference/tourism, manufacturing, to an increasing medical technology sector.

Oh, and I live there now, walking distance to all the activities in downtown!
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Grand Rapids, MI?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 25 May 2014, 2:29 PM
  2. ArtPrize in Grand Rapids
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 12:42 AM