Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Good or Bad?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Good or Bad?

All but one of Wisconsin's regional planning commisssion cover multiple counties. The exception, the Dane County Regional Planning Commisssion, which includes Madison, is to be dissolved soon.

http://www.wisgov.state.wi.us/news_detail.asp?prid=1042

The debate on whether to keep this RPC or dissolve/replace it has been going on for about six years. It is hard, particularly for those who are in the more rural parts of the county, to see the RPC as much more than a bunch of lazy, unimaginitive planners who merely perpetuate their own existence by billing communities for half-assed attempts at planning. Yeah, strongly worded, but then I have first-hand knowledge of their work. Besides, isn't a one-county RPC a duplication of county planning?

On the other hand, some of what they do has had value, such as their water quality efforts. And attempts at regional planning are bound to run afoul of some parties, particularly in a rural area dominated by a large (and reputedly somewhat liberal) city.

I suppose getting rid of the RPC like this will get rid of the deadwood employees (though unfortunately, the good staff as well). Still, is it a good idea to dissolve an agency without a replacement ready to fill the void?

I have always wondered why they had a one-county RPC. As much as I can't stand our interim Governor, I have to agree with his desire to have a true RPC around Madison. I did find it interesting that Jefferson County was let off the Governor's list of Counties in the proposed new RPC. Would that leave Jefferson County as the only county in WI that is not in a RPC, or is this just an oversight by McCallum
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Of course, McA**hole did not kill the Dane County RPC because he wanted a regional agency, but because he thought he could gain political support in the election. Yes, it did strike me as odd that Jefferson was left out, particularly as Cambridge is in both Dane and Jefferson Counties and several Jefferson communities are tributory to Madison. Whitewater is a similar case - we are in both Walworth and Jefferson Counties and border Rock County. It just points out that not much thought has been put into the boundaries of these agencies. We (part anyway) are lumped in with Southeast Wisconsin RPC, even though we are oriented more to Madison. I have suggested using watersheds as the logical boundary, but of course, it will go nowhere.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Don't Brown County and Rock County each also have a one county RPC?

Brown County is in the Bay Lake RPC. The DOT has a useful map:

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/dtim/bop/...ng-rpc-map.htm
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cool, thanks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. It's good to be bad at?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 4:34 PM
  2. JHU good, bad?
    Student Commons