Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Differences b/n schools?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

Differences b/n schools?

I'm getting a Master's in Urban Planning in the fall and was accepted to 4 schools, Ball State (in-state tuition), the University of Florida, FAU, and Tennessee. I would really appreciate any input about these schools. I haven't narrowed down exactly what I want to specifically study in planning, but I'm interested in a less policy oriented program since I studied political science/public policy as an undergraduate. I would like to move to the South Florida area after I graduate, and I'm not sure if I should pay extra for a FL school or stay in state. I'm also interested to know how UF fits into the spectrum of planning schools.
    ~Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I went to UTK (GO VOLS) for my MSP and landed a South Fla job pre-graduation that started immediately post (I have since moved to FSU for the doc. program).

The FLA schools are good, you may want to see also FSU (shameless plug ).

Ultimately, you should choose the place you feel the most comfortable at and works best for you and remember PAB accredited schools teach similar curriculum… that is the required for the accreditation after all.

I will add that FLA planning is unique and there is a learning curve when moving here from out of the state.
    Last edited by H; 29 Jun 2005 at 1:07 AM.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H
    ...I will add that FLA planning is unique and there is a learning curve when moving here from out of the state.
    That's the biggest understatement I've read in a long time.
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah....

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    That's the biggest understatement I've read in a long time.
    No kidding....this place (Florida) makes the fictional world of Brazil (the movie) look like a streamlined walk in the bureaucratic park
    but...wait...I think I'm in violation of code Zer34221RQ/AA4-9GGT (4)(e.){4}-[56-77A]
    And the sad part is, that it looks the same or in many cases worse (development & sprawl) than states that don't have this much red tape
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Oct 2008, 8:01 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Dec 2007, 7:23 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Oct 2006, 6:33 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 11:32 AM
  5. Differences