Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Charleston, WV - Part II

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

Charleston, WV - Part II

Part II will be shorter than Part I. The main reason being that very little happened in the 90's and the population slide actually sped up. The 90's were an age of street scapes, pedestrianization projects and etc. My assumption is that many resources were expended in the failed projects of the 80's restricting options until at least the late 90's. There was also a lot of stone walling by the parties that hide from change.

The 90's were valuable in that people began to wake up to the situation facing the area. The choices were either change or continue sliding with drugs, prostitution and organized crime getting more and more out of control.

The 90's were also the beginning of trying to beautify the downtown area as well as active efforts to push the criminal element out and away from downtown. This was a needed move to bring an atmosphere of safety to the downtown. Even to this day, so people are still scared to be in downtown after it gets dark even though it has been cleaned up for five or so years.

Projects of the 90's

Capital Market - This is probably one of the best projects of the 90's since it placed business and activity in the blighted northern section of downtown. Capital Market is basically a converted rail dock with a farmer's market, eateries, confectioners and etc. This is designed in as part of the pedestrianized downtown and is at the north end of Capitol St. This also makes it possible to live downtown without needing a car since grocery service was made available with capital market (an important step for the plans of now).

Planning of Clay Center - The 90's are when the Clay Center Museum began to be discussed in earnest. This project was not finished until 2003 and as such, does not have much bearing on the 90's.

This concludes Part II. The 90's were slow in Charleston. It was also an age of mayors which lacked effectiveness and more or less, things seemed stagnant then.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Just a note that I will write Part III tomorrow. The Part III will be very interesting from a planning perspective as it is when things began to turn around and the real changes took place which turned Charleston into an entirely different city that is now attracting people from out of state (many people moving in from NYC, Rochester NY, New Jersey, Canada and etc.).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Feb 2013, 6:59 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Mar 2008, 9:07 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 09 Jul 2005, 7:18 AM
  4. Charleston, WV - Part I
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Jun 2005, 11:15 AM