Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Motorcycle parking downtown - good or bad?

Motorcycle parking downtown - good or bad?

Our downtown parking committee recently approved changing 5 vehicular parking spaces into "motorcycle parking spaces", delineating them with signs and diagonal striping. Keep in mind that these stalls are going to be shortened from the typical vehicle stall to help define them as "MOTORCYCLE PARKING ONLY". We are a midwestern town that gets its fair share of inclement weather. Basically, these spaces are (will be) useless for 4-5 months of the year, when people aren't riding motorcycles. We get a decent amount of motorcycle traffic in the summer, but I would think that the riders would like to use vehicular spaces, as they can park more bikes in them. Nonetheless, the bar owners are requesting that these spaces get delineated for the motorcycles only. Our committee feels that if it will help the adjacent business (the bars), then it is worth a try. I think the bar owners are near-sighted and business may suffer in the winter due to the lack of nearby parking. Has anyone else run into a similar situation? Any suggestions? I can foresee more of these requests coming from other bars in our downtown.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    Our downtown parking committee recently approved changing 5 vehicular parking spaces into "motorcycle parking spaces", delineating them with signs and diagonal striping. Keep in mind that these stalls are going to be shortened from the typical vehicle stall to help define them as "MOTORCYCLE PARKING ONLY". We are a midwestern town that gets its fair share of inclement weather. Basically, these spaces are (will be) useless for 4-5 months of the year, when people aren't riding motorcycles. We get a decent amount of motorcycle traffic in the summer, but I would think that the riders would like to use vehicular spaces, as they can park more bikes in them. Nonetheless, the bar owners are requesting that these spaces get delineated for the motorcycles only. Our committee feels that if it will help the adjacent business (the bars), then it is worth a try. I think the bar owners are near-sighted and business may suffer in the winter due to the lack of nearby parking. Has anyone else run into a similar situation? Any suggestions? I can foresee more of these requests coming from other bars in our downtown.
    I don't see the conflict. Motorcyclists are people too.

Heh, on a more serious note....meh. 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. I suspect that during winter months when these spaces clearly aren't being used, motorists will park there regardless of any parking designation.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    More motorcycle parking will be needed with higher gas prices. I know I will be looking at a 65 mpg BMW 650gs when the gas prices get way higher.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Are these on-street or off-street parking spaces? Would it not be possible to find some locations where full-size parking spaces don't work and squeeze motorcycle parking in those?

On Street

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Are these on-street or off-street parking spaces? Would it not be possible to find some locations where full-size parking spaces don't work and squeeze motorcycle parking in those?
    These spaces are ON-STREET, I don't really understand why multiple motorcycles don't use the large vehicular spaces as it is now. There is not a shortage of parking in our downtown (except for special events), they just want it motorcycle "exclusive" and right in front of the bar so they can see their bikes........ Like I said, I don't really understand it.

If you make a sign stating "motorcyle parking only" then why not add "March through October"

Motorcycles are very easy to steal, this may be one of the reasons the riders want to see their bikes.

Because

Quote Originally posted by highrising
    If you make a sign stating "motorcyle parking only" then why not add "March through October"

Motorcycles are very easy to steal, this may be one of the reasons the riders want to see their bikes.
    We are also changing the striping to diagonal to differentiate it from vehicle spaces. That's why we don't put Mar-Oct., because it still wouldn't allow dual usage for the space.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Downtown parking requirements
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Sep 2013, 12:59 PM
  2. Parking Downtown parking requirements
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Feb 2013, 2:16 PM
  3. Replies: 11