Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Post an aerial of your neighborhood (AIB Google Satellite)

Registered
    May 2003

Post an aerial of your neighborhood (AIB Google Satellite)

Instructions:

Go to maps.google.com.
    Put in your home address.
    Click on "satellite"
    Zoom in all the way.
    Click the "x" on the bubble box to get rid of it.
    Take a screenshot (in windows, you can do this by pressing "print screen", opening paint, and pressing "paste").
    Crop out the unneeded parts and upload the image here.

Here's mine:

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Mine was way too blurry at way too high... I couldn't post it from Google.

Nice 'hood Michaelskis. I like all the trees.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Mine is at this address, I couldn't figure out how to post it on this page...also, the map is one house off, my house it the one to the left of the one the arrow is pointing to...nice cul-de-sac, huh??
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3+Silv...5912&t=k&hl=en

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Hey, that looks familiar. Almost like I've been there before.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    There you go. Now git the hell off my land, commie!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Here is mine

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hah! The arrow points to the wrong house....yes folks, I know my address.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here's mine in suburbia...notice the large shopping mall only a short car trip away...

...contrast that with where I grew up...

These images seem very oblique and corrected...anyone else get that feeling?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Mine was way too blurry at way too high... I couldn't post it from Google.

Nice 'hood Michaelskis. I like all the trees.
    Here are some links to my Apartment Complex. The best part is other than classes, everything I need is within a long walk or biking distance. (Work is 2 miles from this site)

http://www.gopromo.com/Apartment/Com...=3580&uid=3580
    http://greenspireapartments.com/
    http://sites.mlive.com/greenspire/
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2003
    I wish I could zoom in a little more -

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=707+Ea...7505&t=k&hl=en

I can't get mine to post

Edit: The image of my current house is crappy. Here's a link of where I lived from 1990-95.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=330+oc...2400&t=k&hl=en

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Pretty good resolution for where I grew up at the Jersey Shore.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.59...7703&t=k&hl=en
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Those damn google boys did it again!

Where I live now:
    The address is a little off, I'm about a half-inch to the west. It's hard to tell where the houses are because of the trees. You can only see about a third of our house through the trees. I wish I could zoom in a little closer...

Where I'll be after May 1:
    Again, the address is a little off, I'm about an inch to the southeast. You can also see my future in-law's house in this picture about two inches to the southeast on the corner. Thank god I get along with them! As you can see, I live really close to a marina. Most of the cleared area you see to the west of me is dry dock storage for boats.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005

There it is. Incidentally, it didn't identify my house correctly. It pegged me as across the street and three down from where I actually am.

edit: oh gawd. I forgot an 's' on countless. I'd change it but that would take far too much work.
    Last edited by abrowne; 05 Apr 2005 at 1:33 PM.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK, I finally got this figured out. I didn't know there was a detention pond so close to my place.

RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Where I grew up:

Where I live now:

Registered
    Jul 2003
    For a few more weeks:

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Here is where I live. Well I guess if you could see it though all the trees you would see where I lived.

This is the lot (s) to my east, I guess that is why you can't see my house.

Across the street and the lot to my west look about the same.
    Last edited by PlannerByDay; 05 Apr 2005 at 4:09 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Wow, I'm surprised to see everyone living in suburbia.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Kobayashi
    Before you start judging (I'm not saying you are, but I could see where others might), remember that some of us don't have housing choice and that many of the places planners work are suburbs.

It does look a little odd to the outsider that these planners that seem to constantly advocate a certain lifestyle don't get to live it. I think we had a thread about this once called "guilty pleasures" or something like that that discussed whether we practice what we preach.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Where did you think most folks lived? We don't have many posters from Manhattan, DC proper, Fulton Co Ga (Atlanta) etc. Most the Cyburbia users work, live and go about their lives in the burbs.

Some of us love urban areas but cant afford to live there
    Some of us love urban areas but its not worth the hassle to get to our jobs
    Some of us don't like living in urban areas
    Some of us live in areas were there are no urban (i.e. big city) areas.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Off-topic:
    Before we moved up here, I lived in this lovely garden spot (at the white X on the left):

Up until a few months before I became so sick, I would leave my house after dark -- so that it would drop down to a cool, comfortable 100 degrees -- and walk along Perimeter Road until I got to that long road that bisects the base, then come back that way. Perimeter Road is a 10 mile loop, so I wasn't up to walking the whole thing. If you cut back through the middle of it, that is only about 6 miles or so. With housing to my right and wilderness to my left, I often saw coyotes. I did that 2 to 3 days a week.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Kobayashi
    "A generic interface can't disguise Cyburbia's substantial offerings. Sponsored by SUNY Buffalo, the site assembles a large but selective directory of Internet resources relevant to planning, architecture, urbanism, growth, sprawl, and other topics related to the built environment. It also contains information about related mailing lists and Usenet news groups, hosts a bulletin board with job listings and discussions, and posts daily planning news updates. Inside the discussion area, Cyburbia Forums, learn why planners don't get to live in the communities they admire--because their paltry salaries don't allow them to afford these increasingly popular, and therefore pricey, real-estate markets."

-- Ken Coupland, Metropolis Magazine, April 2002

As for me, I live in an inner ring eastern suburb of Cleveland that became mostly built out by 1955. The suburb has a population density of about 6,600 residents per square mile; low by urban standards, but quite high for an American suburb.

The key word here is "eastern suburb." Most neighborhoods on the East Side of Cleveland proper are either solid minority (a young white guy will have problems there) or in transition. The exceptions: Little Italy, where you can't find a place for under $200K; University Circle, which has mostly dog-unfriendly high-rise housing; and North Collinwood, which is a middle class enclave surrounded by 'hood.

I'm as urban as I can get while still having a reasonable commute to my job; 24 miles and 37 minutes away. If I become planning director, I'll probably be asked to eventually move into the jurisdiction where I work, a place that is almost entirely suburban, exurban and rural.

Why do many planners live in the 'burbs?
    1. Because they work in a location where a commute from a vibrant, dense urban neighborhood would be extremely costly and/or time-consuming.
    2. Because they want to be within bicycling distance of the suburban town or city hall where their office is located. (Hey ... it's better for the environment than reverse commuting in a single-occupancy vehicle.)
    3. Because they work in suburban Detroit, and don't want to reverse commute from a city where there are almost no vibrant, liveable, safe neighborhoods.
    4. Because they work in a relatively new Sunbelt metro like Phoenix, Las Vegas or Albuquerque, where even neighborhoods close to downtown have a low-density suburban character.
    5. Because they are in a high-cost metropolitan area where the price of housing closer to the central city is exorbitant, and the phrase "drive to qualify" applies.
    6. Because they are subject to residency requirements, and forced to live in the community where they are employed.
    7. Because they have school-age children, the urban school district is terrible, there are no public magnet or charter schools in the district, and they can't afford private or parochial schools.
    8. Because they have elderly parents living nearby, and find it easier to care for them if they're close by.
    9. Because they think of a house as an investment, and they live in a slow-growing or declining region where the appreciation of suburban real estate is higher than for city real estate.
    10. Because they are "outdoorsy," and want to be close to the mountains, forests, trout streams, or wherever they spend their time when they're not working.
    11. Because they are fanatic about hobbies that require a lot of space, such as tending to large gardens, HF ham radio with long beam antennas, classic auto collecting and restroration, and so on.
    12. Because they're married, the spouse works at a job that is off in the opposite direction, and a certain suburban community may be the only place where they can both live and have reasonable commutes to work.
    13. Because "planner" is not always synonymous with "urbanite," and a crazy few actually prefer suburban living.

Why don't planners live in suburban New Urbanist communities?
    1. Because there aren't any in their metropolitan area.
    2. Because they can't afford it.

"Why not get a job in the big city?", you ask? Because suburbs need planners too. Not everybody can be a planner for a core city.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 26 Feb 2011, 2:28 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Nov 2008, 5:18 PM
  3. Google Satellite!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 06 Apr 2005, 2:27 PM