Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ditched By A Date (AIB: Donk's Stood-Up Thread)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Ditched By A Date (AIB: Donk's Stood-Up Thread)

I probably should not introduce this thread so soon after pictures are posted of the recent Michigan Stanfest Laething in Kalamazoo. Readers will go, "Yeah, so what's so unusual about that? We saw the picture."

But......as inspired by Donk's recent STOOD-UP thread.....here comes the DITCHED BY A DATE thread. Go ahead embarass yourself.
    _____

This Bear was about eighteen (18) and a friend's GF set me up with a friend of the GF. I don't even remember her name.....but it might have been Kayla. Not sure.

We all piled in my friend's car to roll on over to Toledo's Walbridge Park, the big splatch of green in south Toledo that borders the Maumee River. This used to be the site of the July 4th Fireworks and that is where we were headed.

We parked the car and started the walk over to the hills that line the riverbank, blanket and cooler in hand. "Kayla" said, "Excuse me, I see some good friends. I will be right back."

Need I say more?

Ditched. She later told my friend's GF that she didn't want to be seen with me.
    A real positive event for a pimply-faced teen. Not.
    _____

What say you? Any ditchings? Were you the "ditcher" or the "ditchee"?

Bear, Still Sitting On The Blanket
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    No, I don't recall every being the ditcher or ditchee, what with my vast experience of something like 6 whole dates. All the more reason to stick with my "non-dating" policies.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I've nothing to report on this front. Even so, being stood up by someone certainly allows an easy judge of their character.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    many Years ago i was dating this chick and had been most of the summer it was a may to august fling... I had just graduated high school and was going away to college in the fall. I had been out with her 4 or 5 times with no intent on my part to be anything other than a summer fling. I had laugh or ignored my way out of the "exclusive" conversation three or four times. So we are on are way to the movie theater, which in rural North Carolina meant a 45 minute one way trip. She turns to me and says "Would you like to get married?" I act like i didn't hear her in true male fashion. she repeats "Would you like to get married?" So i tell myself don't assume she mean with her so with that mine set i answer "yea... some day" She says "What do you thing about a Christmas Wedding?" I respond "Could be cool... The mall in front of the santa claus chair and reception in the food court... I could see something like that" So as we get to the theater the conversation floats around to several different topics with wedding stuff intertwined. As we go end she asked if we could by _____ jewerly store and look at rings after the movie. I panic and freeze up and mumble "Popcorn, yea i'll get some popcorn i'll meet you in the theater" so she goes inside the theater. and i contiplate what is going on. Wedding conversation and ring... she wants to get married to me!!! So i head out of the theater and get in my truck and drive without a distination in mind. So i play the whole conversation out in my mind and convince myself that she wasn't meaning me and i was just over reacting. So i head back to the theater walk in the theater our movie is playing and find my date... less the Popcorn. So on the way out after the movie she asked "what took you so long?" so i thinking do i tell the truth or do i lie and tell her long line, they ran out popcorn, or that it was a long line and they ran out of popcorn and i got abducted by aliens on the way back... so i went for the truth and told that "i thought she meant she wanted to get married to me" She said "well we have went out several times and hit it off and i think we have a future together..." I cut her off with "are you serious... tell me your delerious from the lack of food" she cried and said it is best you just leave me here, i'll get a ride from somebody, anybody but you" so i left. I saw her a year after that and she was married with a 2 month old child

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    I saw her a year after that and she was married with a 2 month old child
    roflol. Sounds like she was On A Mission.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    two months old? was it a little owl??

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've never been ditched or ditched a date but I did cut a date yesterday extremely short. It had been planned to be an all day type of date but after about an hour I drove her back to her car and that was that. Given how well the first date went and she spent all week telling me how she was looking forward to Saturday, I was just floored when she actually got here and started acting like a wet blanket that had been in the freezer (in public!). I felt like a parent whose child was throwing a temper tantrum in a five star restaurant. I can't remember another date that had to be cut so short.

Even with that, I can't imagine ever ditching someone. At the very least you have to make sure they have a way home.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    many Years ago i was dating this chick and had been most of the summer it was a may to august fling... I had just graduated high school and was going away to college in the fall. I had been out with her 4 or 5 times with no intent on my part to be anything other than a summer fling. I had laugh or ignored my way out of the "exclusive" conversation three or four times. So we are on are way to the movie theater, which in rural North Carolina meant a 45 minute one way trip. She turns to me and says "Would you like to get married?" I act like i didn't hear her in true male fashion. she repeats "Would you like to get married?" So i tell myself don't assume she mean with her so with that mine set i answer "yea... some day" She says "What do you thing about a Christmas Wedding?" I respond "Could be cool... The mall in front of the santa claus chair and reception in the food court... I could see something like that" So as we get to the theater the conversation floats around to several different topics with wedding stuff intertwined. As we go end she asked if we could by _____ jewerly store and look at rings after the movie. I panic and freeze up and mumble "Popcorn, yea i'll get some popcorn i'll meet you in the theater" so she goes inside the theater. and i contiplate what is going on. Wedding conversation and ring... she wants to get married to me!!! So i head out of the theater and get in my truck and drive without a distination in mind. So i play the whole conversation out in my mind and convince myself that she wasn't meaning me and i was just over reacting. So i head back to the theater walk in the theater our movie is playing and find my date... less the Popcorn. So on the way out after the movie she asked "what took you so long?" so i thinking do i tell the truth or do i lie and tell her long line, they ran out popcorn, or that it was a long line and they ran out of popcorn and i got abducted by aliens on the way back... so i went for the truth and told that "i thought she meant she wanted to get married to me" She said "well we have went out several times and hit it off and i think we have a future together..." I cut her off with "are you serious... tell me your delerious from the lack of food" she cried and said it is best you just leave me here, i'll get a ride from somebody, anybody but you" so i left. I saw her a year after that and she was married with a 2 month old child

Gotta be careful with the summer flings. I had one in grad school with someone who I met in DC but lived in the Tar Heel State. She was a little older than me (30 at the time, I was in my 20s). Needless to say that she thought things were progressing more than what they have been. Why would I get married in my 20s? (Actually, I did. I got married 2 weeks before my 30th birthday.) Why would I get married to her? After that ordeal, I changed by dating habits.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Never been ditched, thank God. At least not to my recollection. And never ditched anyone either. I'm definitely sorry for you Bear, but as Thin Lizzy would say, "if that chick don't wanna know, forget her."

Big Owl, that is a crazy story. You definitely had a lot of courage for going back to that movie theater. But it's nice that you did. Something like that would have freaked me out too. Especially considering we are all planners, and like to plan things out ahead...it doesn't have to be just cities, it can be our lives too.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Never ditched exactly, but I recall several instances with the same woman where we had a date agreed upon that very day. When I went to the barracks (she was a woman marine) I of course couldn't enter and had to wait at the picnic table outside. I remember waiting two or more hours a couple of times and would question other w.m's if she was in fact really in the barracks and if so did she plan on coming out? Various messengers would report she was indeed and would be down in a 'little bit'. After three hours when there could be no other conceivable interpretation than being blown off I gave up.
    Yes I was smitten and yes I was desperate and afterwards I resolved never again to be such a doormat no matter how badly I was infatuated.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Being Stood Up
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 09 Aug 2005, 2:23 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 8:22 PM
  3. The Blind Date Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 Dec 2004, 9:34 AM