Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Double-Secret Probation Michigan Laefest Poll

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Stanfest, Kalamazoo, August 6

OK, here's where we stand on the Michigan Meeshigan Laefest Stanfest Brewpub Tour Thing Double-Secret Probation Who's On First Gathering Of Friends, Enemies, Foes & Wal-Mart Bashing Fest.....

Kalamazoo, Saturday, August 6, 2005.

Time and exact location to be determined, hopefully by those of you with knowledge of K-Zoo, etc. We have just about a month to put together these details and post them on this thread.

Bear and Katie will be in K-Zoo on that day, even if nobody else is. I can always walk up to a stranger, carrying a case of my De Noc fake city maps, and say to them, "Hi there. My name is Bear. This is Katie. We are new to this town. What's to do?"

Response, "Hi there. My name is Stan."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Response, "Hi there. My name is Stan."
    Y'all don't need no stinkin' name tags, Cyburbia badges, or other identifiers because you have a secret code word.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Kalamazoo, Saturday, August 6, 2005.
    I'll see what I can do about making the trek.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Alright I'll be there. Or maybe should I say I'll stay home and hang out with you..

Count me for at least some of the great days events.

It is now blocked out. Game On

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Ok... after talking to Stan... Ah... Maister I would like to propose all of us meeting in the lobby of the Radisson Plaza Hotel. There is a parking garage next door and on weekends parking is FREE. It is also one of the tallest, most propionate buildings in downtown, it has a large open area with seating for waiting, and from that point we can walk to almost any place downtown. Let me know that you think, and what a good meeting time would be. Also, if you would like, I will PM my cell phone number to those who are going to be at KZOOlaefest so those who come later can call for directions. I will also be willing to create and PDF a beer location map!

Here is the link. http://www.radisson.com/kalamazoomi

Also here are some local links
    http://www.central-city.net/
    http://www.bellsbeer.com/
    http://www.ci.kalamazoo.mi.us/
    http://www.kalamazoomi.com/
    http://www.discoverkalamazoo.com/
    http://www.kzoo.edu/
    http://www.wmich.edu/
    http://www.kalamazoomi.com/hisf.htm
    http://www.airzoo.org/
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Family committments that weekend. Probably would not have made it out in any event.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Let me know that you think, and what a good meeting time would be.
    I think, although sometimes it gets me in trouble.

Meeting time for me is open, but I'll start by saying 4:00 pm.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Let me know that you think, and what a good meeting time would be.
    I think quite a bit. And I think that 4:00 p.m. would be a good time to meet at the Burdick. I also think you had some compelling reasons to vote for W. - after all its nice to have like minded friends in high places!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I try not to think when I am at work...

But I would be willing to meet up with people who want a guided tour of Downtown Kalamazoo at an earlier time. Say 1pm? Then we would go back to the starting point to meet up with everyone else.

Off-topic:
    Why does the image of the Blues Brothers burst into my head when I imagine what Stan & Stan look like?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2003
    Wahoo! I am likin' the idea of K-Zoo on 8/6. As far as I know, I can go. Mrs DHawk would probably let me go. Not that I can't decide for myself, no sir. Let me know what time and where.

Gotta go. The wife wants me to do something.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    May 2003

Bear & Katie Are There, Dude

Bear and Katie, representing the community of Swanton, OH, will be in Kalamazoo for Stanfest 2005. Our tentative plans are to be in town in time for the 1:00 PM downtown tour. Michaelskis.....can I wear my newest Lake Superior State University t-shirt?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Bear and Katie, representing the community of Swanton, OH, will be in Kalamazoo for Stanfest 2005. Our tentative plans are to be in town in time for the 1:00 PM downtown tour. Michaelskis.....can I wear my newest Lake Superior State University t-shirt?

Bear
    Sure... after all it is one of the few teams in the CCHA that saves money by having the Cheer Leaders Play Hockey! (MSU is the other) But then again I guess that is why they finished towards the bottom of the ratings.

GO NORTHERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY WILDCATS!

On topic, I plan on doing some research on the history and development of downtown Kalamazoo and it’s legacy. Oh and there is a shop at our starting point that sells the “Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!” T-Shirts.

Can I ask who all is going to be meeting up for the 1pm tour???

Also PM me if you want my cell number, incase you’re going to arrive later.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 07 Jul 2005 at 10:40 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Can I ask who all is going to be meeting up for the 1pm tour???

Also PM me if you want my cell number, incase you’re going to arrive later.
    Bear and Katie will be there at 1:00 PM. Between now and then please provide directions, place name, etc. I will PM you for your cell.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Look for RJ and me there.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    May 2003
    The tour sounds great. Unless something happens to prevent me making the trip, I'll look for you all at 1 pm. PM me with the details.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I am in and will see yall in kzoo.

Ciao

-Urbanchik (on vacation in Europe)
    urbanchik

Registered
    May 2003

Double-Secret Status

As of Wednesday, 7-13-05, here is what I have seen in the way of responses for attendance at the Double-Secret Probation Michigan Laefest, Kalamazoo, MI.....

Grand Poo-Bah Tour Leader michaelskis - In
    Bear Up North and wife, Katie - In
    Maister - In
    PlannerByDay - Tentative, then later said "In"
    SW MI Planner - Maybe
    DetroitPlanner - Maybe
    Donk - Maybe
    DecaturHawk - In
    Urbanchik - In
    Rumpy - Possible Party-Crasher
    RJ - Possible Party-Crasher

A formidable group. Time for a

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    And yes, I'm still in. Even though I will have been subjected to 1 month of baby induced sleep deprivation by that point - so buck up soldiers and sound off like you got a pair!

"IN"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm still in to catch up with everyone for a couple 's and was wondering if there were any more plans on the board.

As far as I know some people are meeting in the lobby of the Raddison Hotel at 1:00 for a tour of K-zoo. But what about a time and meeting place for those who want to meet up later (myself and Mrs. PBD)?

Are plans to to go to Ribfest either for dinner or afternoon entertainment? Maybe Bell's for an afternoon beer in the sun in their awesome beer garden? Obviously my vote would be to meet up at bells around 4:00.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I may be in or out, I have scheduled vacation the previous week. If I show up, it will be with parents in tow. My maternal parental unit is pretty sick and we're going to her grand-daughter's b-day in Chicago. If we show up we will most likly not participate in your consumption of mass quantities of beer and fried eggs.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I'm still in to catch up with everyone for a couple 's and was wondering if there were any more plans on the board.

As far as I know some people are meeting in the lobby of the Raddison Hotel at 1:00 for a tour of K-zoo. But what about a time and meeting place for those who want to meet up later (myself and Mrs. PBD)?

Are plans to to go to Ribfest either for dinner or afternoon entertainment? Maybe Bell's for an afternoon beer in the sun in their awesome beer garden? Obviously my vote would be to meet up at bells around 4:00.
    Second the beer garten at Bell's. For those who prefer German style beers over English styles, I will lead the willing across the street to Kraftbrau to soak up the Bohemian atomosphere (and Bohemian beers for that matter). I don't think a soul would disagree with the Ribfest idea. I've been to so many different 'fests' downtown they all kinda blur together in my mind. Do any locals recall if they have music at Ribfest?

Registered
    Jul 2002

Ribfest Entertainment

"Every year, Ribfest (August 4-6) hosts a national entertainment group to come to Kalamazoo as part of the effort to raise money to support Community Advocates for Persons With Developmental Disabilities. Each year, thanks to the support of the Ribfest customers, the event is able to raise between 50,000 and 60,0000 dollars to support program targeted to individuals with disabilities. This year we hope to raise even more.

Micky Dolenz of the Monkees will perform on Saturday night, August 6 at 10 p.m. at the Arcadia Creek Festival Place. The Thursday through Saturday entertainment line-up includes alternative music on Thursday night with the funky and totally party music from Rev Right Time (7 p.m.) and Phat Phunktion (10:15 p.m.). Friday is really Mardi Gras “central” with Hip Pocket and the New Orleans’s sound from Lil’ Brian and the Zydeco Travelers. Yes, beads will be made available and women are to act appropriately. And, then on Saturday Montage (7 p.m.) takes the stage just before Micky Dolenz arrives. And, Pillar to Post (midnight) completes the Ribfest 2005 entertainment schedule."

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Should we all meet at 3pm at the Radisson? It is a central location connected to a free parking garage and is walking distance to Bells Beer Garden.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    to soak up the Bohemian atomosphere (and Bohemian beers for that matter).
    hmmm Bohemian Beer...... its Strohsolicious!

Alex, that better be your water you're drinking

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. North TX Laefest Location Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Oct 2008, 10:19 AM
  2. North Texas Laefest - Poll for Dates
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Sep 2008, 9:43 PM