Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Double-Secret Probation Michigan Laefest Poll

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I was there last night and was bummed that the hopps plants did not have buds on them.

Oh well. Few days until the fun. The GF was wondering if there will be other non-planning females. (so bring the wives or GF's)
    Katie, lovely wife of Bear Up North, will be holding the leash that restrains same furry creature. She still refers to this trip as "Bear going to 'make-believe-land'", primarily because you are all planners by trade and this Bear is just a plain ole' planner-wanna-be......dissing me, me thinks.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003

Tomorrow! Tomorrow!

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Katie, lovely wife of Bear Up North, will be holding the leash that restrains same furry creature. She still refers to this trip as "Bear going to 'make-believe-land'", primarily because you are all planners by trade and this Bear is just a plain ole' planner-wanna-be......dissing me, me thinks.....

Bear
    I told the GF! She was happy then scared because she realized that many of us don't know each others real name. Something about me saying ďBearís wife Kate will be there, S.W. Michigan Planner will bring her husband, and Mrs. Planner by Day might come too worried her. She asked about Maisterís wife. I said that she wonít be there, but she should just bring the Baby... it will be ok. It is three weeks. I am sure that we can get a fake ID for him!

I wonder how long each of us will wonder around and walk right past each other before we realize, OH your Bear Up North... I was going to wear a Red Wings Jersey until I realize that it will be in the 80ís.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2003
    II wonder how long each of us will wonder around and walk right past each other before we realize, OH your Bear Up North... I was going to wear a Red Wings Jersey until I realize that it will be in the 80ís.
    After all those "OWNED" postings of some months back, I'm guessing I will recognize michealskis. And I've seen the picture of Maister and the duck.

Looking forward to it. I'll be the gray haired guy.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what Iíve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874Ė1963) (From Harperís Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm still unsure. The Radisson I can find, but Bells? where is Bells? is it walkable?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    I'm still unsure. The Radisson I can find, but Bells? where is Bells? is it walkable?
    Bells is pretty easy to find. It is on the Corner of Kalamazoo Avenue and Porter Street on the northeast side of downtown.

It is walkable from Raddison. But if you go to bells website. www.bellsbeer.com you can get directions or at least mapquest the address.

Registered
    Mar 2004

You guys are super geeks

You got just way too much time on your hands. But very entertaining.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    ..... ďBearís wife Kate will be there, S.W. Michigan Planner will bring her husband, and Mrs. Planner by Day might come too worried her.....".
    My DH has to work, so I'm coming solo. Him and his brother (my babysitter for the evening) are now arguing, so those plans almost fell through. Luckily I stayed out of it!!

I wonder how long each of us will wonder around and walk right past each other before we realize, OH your Bear Up North... I was going to wear a Red Wings Jersey until I realize that it will be in the 80ís.
    I was wondering the same thing I kind of did hope Maister would wear his smoking jacket because that would have made it easy!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    hmm I'm 6'5" white, and don't drink so if you see someone at Bells fitting that description looking puzzled, c'est moi.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hey, I'm at the airport. Who's picking me up?

Oh, forgot this

Have a good time
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    It was great meeting and chatting with everyone.

Looking forward to the next one.

OH and I just noticed that M'skis has a group picture in the Gallery.

Cheers

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Thoughts On Stanfest

This Bear and wife, Katie, joined a group of Michigan planners for the oft-mentioned Michigan Laefest. What a nice group of people. A very nice day.
    _____

Katie and The Bear walked into Burdick's Tavern in downtown Kalamazoo, grabbing a couple seats at the bar. We walked right past michaelskis and his significant other GF and ordered a couple drinks. Just about that time ms and GF left the bar, thinking maybe the Kalamazoo tour participants might be in the hotel lobby.

Bear and Katie engaged in idle chatter with the barmaid.

"Hey," the barmaid said, "Down here for Ribfest?"

"No", Bear replied. "We are here for Stanfest."

"Oh," she continued. "Stan and his GF were the young couple sitting here. They just left. He said something about a gathering of Young Republicans in the lobby."

So, the Bear used Katie's cell phone to call michaelskis to see if he knew the whereabouts of Stan.
    _____

It actually happened "kinda" like that.

DecaturHawk also come into the bar and then we continued onto a really nice and informative tour of downtown Kalamazoo. I was impressed, because this smaller city had REAL people walking the streets, shopping in REAL stores, drinking in REAL establishments.

It was "Ribfest" weekend but MS assured us that there were always a good number of folks in the downtown area. The Kalamazoo people have done a nice job of making their downtown a destination.....and we saw some new construction that will bring even more people into the center.

We had a drink at a small prewpub and then moved on to the back garden area of Bell's Brewery. The sun was out, the humidity was low, the temperatures were in the low 80's. We sat out at a large picnic table, and enjoyed each other's company, learned each other's real names, met some significant others of regular Cyburbia residents, and built a tall stack of empties.

Stan and Stan also were there, so the day was complete.

This Bear had a great time and can't wait to do it again. (Suggest Ann Arbor for next time, so we can get a couple more Detroit and Toledo folks.)

BTW.....this Bear did claim a number of key awards, including.....

Longest drive to Stanfest (about 300 miles round trip).

Oldest person at Stanfest (by far....too far....).

Newest teeth at Stanfest (12.....beat that!).

Biggest fake city at Stanfest (and the only one.....proof of geekacity).
    _____

Let's do it again!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I loaded all the pic's into my lap top and they will be on line under a new thread later tonight!

It was a great turnout and we had a lot of fun!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

1. North TX Laefest Location Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Oct 2008, 10:19 AM
  2. North Texas Laefest - Poll for Dates
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Sep 2008, 9:43 PM
  3. Replies: 23