Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Google Earth is really neat.

Registered
    Jun 2005

Google Earth is really neat.

http://earth.google.com/

anyone else downloaded this yet?

There is alot you can do with this. You can do a flythrough of most US major cities, or see individual school districts laid on top of aerial photographs...

Really neat... it is free, and as long as you have a newer PC (no Mac), and something faster than dial-up, it should work.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Google Earth downloads temporarily delayed
    Anyone else getting this?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    hm... evidently it is getting pretty popular.

i would keep trying though...

anyone want to guess what this is a picture of?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I got that same message... Oh well.. do you need dial-up to use it? if so I'm screwed... and a fast PC? double screwed (well, at least my pc can run SC4 w/ Rush Hour Expansion Pack in a neatly choppy way! (still addictive as crack))

ijustkrushalot, if my Flight Simulator memory doesn't fail me, that's Meigs Field in Chicago...and I thought that it was closed down a few years ago, right?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    I got that same message... Oh well.. do you need dial-up to use it? if so I'm screwed... and a fast PC? double screwed (well, at least my pc can run SC4 w/ Rush Hour Expansion Pack in a neatly choppy way! (still addictive as crack))

ijustkrushalot, if my Flight Simulator memory doesn't fail me, that's Meigs Field in Chicago...and I thought that it was closed down a few years ago, right?

Yup Meigs Field looking towards the chicago skyline.

they have the "pre-space ship" Soldier Field (if you zoom in the building is on top of a pile of rubble, the picture was taken during re-construction of the stadium).... and Meigs Field before Mayor Daley declared war on it.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    [QUOTE=ijustkrushalot]hm... evidently it is getting pretty popular.

i would keep trying though...

anyone want to guess what this is a picture of?

Meigs Field? In Chicago?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    From another Google thread - here is my neighborhood with MARTA transit line in the center & of course downtown Atlanta in the background:

Registered
    May 2005
    I can hardly contain myself . When they get this up and going , I’ll download and then never ever sleep, ever again!!

Bill

“I'm not a baby, I'm a MAN, I am an ANCHORMAN”

- Ron Burgundy

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I've been playing with it all week, I'm beginning to run out of towns I've visited to look at!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    ^ Then explore the world! I've been exploring the river valleys of China, climbing the peaks of the Tibet & roaming the city streets of Europe.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    If anyone has the Google Earth download (the zipped package, or whatever form it took), please e-mail it to cyburbia (a t) cyburbia (d0 t) org, and I'll find a way to make it available to others here.

EDIT: I've got it up. I'll post instructions on downloading it later.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The images are VERY sharp for the Buffalo area.

Football field at the University at Buffalo

Parking lot - note the markings! Find the VW Bug convertible.

In some areas, you can see pedestrians!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Apparently along similar lines: World Wind

I haven't checked it out. It just came up in some homeschooling forum and I thought I would share.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I just got a new computer for my home this weekend and downloaded Earth. OHMIGAWD...my family may not see me for a couple of weeks while I geek out on this!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Apparently along similar lines: World Wind

I haven't checked it out. It just came up in some homeschooling forum and I thought I would share.
    True, it does look nice, but will it tell me where the nearest Starbucks to Mount Kiliminjaro?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    True, it does look nice, but will it tell me where the nearest Starbucks to Mount Kiliminjaro?
    I have no idea. I haven't checked it out. Get your own coffee...er, coffee map.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Google Earth is NASA's World Wind.

For proof, look at the ship configuration in Osaka Japan, near Kansi airport (The island that looks like a big aircraft carrier.

They are the same images.

Googles interface with Google Earth is easier and includes a distance function as well as the tilt function allowing 3D viewing of geographic features.

NASA's World Wind can give you USGS maps, 3 different sattalite views as well as large urban areas, and some other stuff.

Mainly it is a rehash of World Wind for dummies. There is no exact interface to say "I want to view from 10 km in space or 100" like in World Wind.

Google will become novel in its use of Google Earth because people like google.

Poor NASA! Screwed again and given no credit!

Is Google the next Microsoft?

NASA declares war on Google and accidentily on purpose missfires a second Deep Impactor on Google HQ!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 2004
    But Google also has access to other private imagery catalogues - so it's not completely dependant on the same imagery that NASA uses.

What I like about Google Earth is the introduction of several GIS layers, with future plans to be able to add more along with your own imagery.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Finally got this.
    I saw my office, my neighborhood (my house not built yet...), and my grandfather's BMW in his Denver driveway.

My high school in Denver looked good too.

Greeley, where I went to college, is still fuzzy.

EDIT: Airports are cool with this thing!!!!
    Last edited by zman; 07 Jul 2005 at 10:56 AM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

we have been using this in our office for a while now. I think it used to be called Keyhole

Check out LasVegas and Hoover Dam using the three-D function

These are digital 3d images created from satelite images. They are not photos from an airplane!

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Nasa's Worldwind allows you to set the vertical exaggeration. Is the same option available in Earth? On Worldwind, I have not been able to find any imagery as crisp as the UB football stadium in Earth. In addition, Worldwind has extensive USGS coverages but doesn't have as much data available for the rest of the world. Earth still needs a little work on matching up projections.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The other thing too about World Wind is that it seems slower compated to Google, and that it in many areas it doesn't have the high-resolution photos that Google has. The images for the Buffalo area on WorldWind are extremely low resolution LandSat images (something like 50 meters, it seems) or okay but old USGS monochrome images (1 meter, and very sloooooow to load), compared to Google's color 10 to 20 cm NY GIS aerials. Its also buggy; zoom in close enough, and you get a strange "I'm in a deep square pit" effect. No display of elevation and perspective altitude, either, and none of the helpful tools like distance measurement.

World wind is very slow but it does other cool stuff like overlay storm loops onto the map.

Registered
    May 2003
    I did a mockup of my neighborhood (aib post an arieal of your neighborhood)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Google Earth as Entertainment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 28 Jul 2007, 9:05 PM
  2. Replies: 57
    Last post: 19 Oct 2005, 1:23 PM
  3. Google Earth game
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 26 Jul 2005, 2:43 PM