Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: vBulletin 3.5, post counts, and other news

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

vBulletin 3.5, post counts, and other news

Greetings all. Just a not-so-sort message to announce a few updates and changes.

vBulletin 3.5 beta testing. We're one of the message boards that is testing what may be the next version of vBulletin from Jelsoft. You may encounter some bugs; the mods are already collecting many of them, and they're being forwarded to Jelsoft if they already haven't been reported.

There have been a lot of MySQL server errors in the past few days. Most of those seem to be on the server side, when the MySQL server crashed for some reason. We're not causing that, and the Web hosting company is working to root out the cause.

Cyburbia's lost message boards. When vBulletin 3.5 is released, it may have the ability to merge messages from other message boards running on different forum software into a vBulletin forum database. We might be able to merge two old temporary forums, which were operating for a while when the main Cyburbia Forums board was down (September 2003 and January 2005), into this board. As well as recovering 1,846 long-forgotten messages, it also means the post counts of many users here will increase. Some of that, though, could be offset by ...

Post count changes. When the post count odometer reaches 220,000 or so, we're going to be making some changes in the types of activities that affect your post count.

* Gallery photos and comments: they'll still be tallied in the Gallery, but not reflected in the user's Forums post count. That means if your post count is 5,000, and you have 1,000 gallery images, your new post count will be 4,000. Users will still be able to use your Forums username and password for the Gallery.

* Admin and moderator forums: messages in private moderator and forum administration subforums won't be counted in a user's overall post count, or in the count of all messages posted in the Forums. It's no fair to count messages you can't see! The post count of all mods will decrease.

For long-time users who have posted to pre-vBulletin Cyburbia message boards (Discus-based Cyburbia Cafe, WWWBoard-based PAIRC message boards, etc), we'll try to find your earliest post, and use that for your registration date. We've already been doing that on request; you'll notice that some long-time users, such as Super Amputee Cat, have registration dates from the 1990s.

We may also do some database digging; where posts you made on the ancient pre-vBulletin boards that were manually reposted here will be attributed directly to you -- and reflected in your post count. It's tedious and time-consuming work, though, and a low priority.

Mailing list/listserv integration. It's not here yet, but there's rumors that it may be added to a future release of vBulletin, or implemented as a plug-in. We tried a Usenet integration hack a few years ago, and it wasn't well recieved by Cyburbians. (Considering the level of discourse on alt.planning.urban, it's not hard to see why.)

Future integration of a mailing list would only take place with the permssion of the individual mailing list owner. In other words, don't expect to see Kunstler, Calthorpe or Duany posting to the Cyburbia Forums via PRO-URB.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm updating post counts a bit early, since server loads are low.

* Gallery images and comments will no longer be included in the Forums post count, although they will be tallied in the Gallery.
    * Posts in moderator subforums will no longer be included in the Forums post count.

Forum counts will change again -- increasing for most of you -- when old temporary forum messages are imported into the regular Forums database.

I went from 8,639 to 6,393 posts. Ouch. Chet's just behind me at 6,130 posts.

Yes, you can celebrate re-Clubeings when it's time. .

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    [* Gallery photos and comments: they'll still be tallied in the Gallery, but not reflected in the user's Forums post count. That means if your post count is 5,000, and you have 1,000 gallery images, your new post count will be 4,000. Users will still be able to use your Forums username and password for the Gallery.
    I just lost 1200 posts and my ranking just dropped from #35 to #54. I'm not even in the top 50 anymore.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Dropped from #3 to #5, lost about 1500 posts.

Oh well....I'm prouder of the fact that I've been a cyburbanite since 1996 than my post count.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I was wondering about that, b/c last friday I reached 2k (because I cannot get away from here) and this morning I was at 1,995. I was wondering why it went up so quickly, and I remeber I uploaded a whole heep of pictures.

But not as much and youse guys in the higher post count rhelms
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why are y'all so wrapped up in your post counts? Quit your slacking and get back to work! Don't you know your time is better spent querying your GIS database for property owners named Phil McKracken?!!! Stan and Stan are watching you.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    SAC -your Gallery count is ... #1 or #2, I think? You're the King of the Hill (tm) over there.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Speaking of post counts... Individual mods are cleaning up threads regularly, merging posts for those users that do not put multiple quotes in the same post, even though they should. So if you are an on-going offender (*cough* BKM ), you will probably see your posts go down further from time to time for this reason alone.

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Cyburbia's lost message boards. When vBulletin 3.5 is released, it may have the ability to merge messages from other message boards running on different forum software into a vBulletin forum database. We might be able to merge two old temporary forums, which were operating for a while when the main Cyburbia Forums board was down (September 2003 and January 2005), into this board. As well as recovering 1,846 long-forgotten messages, it also means the post counts of many users here will increase. Some of that, though, could be offset by ...
    If you're looking at some of the old forums to add to post counts, here are some of the Usernames that I posted under in the ca. 1998 to 2000 forums:

-Drewsager or Andrew Sager
    -Idealistic Planners Against Yuppies
    -A Ten Percenter
    -Burned Out In Toledo

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    -Drewsager or Andrew Sager
    -Idealistic Planners Against Yuppies
    -A Ten Percenter
    -Burned Out In Toledo
    Will do. A lot of those old posts, though, weren't in forums with MySQL-based databases like the temporary forums, but rather the ancient Discus and WWWBoard forum systems, which used text-based file systems that couldn't be easily imported into vBulletin. You'll notice some old, old messages are titled "REPOST: {whatever}", and are made my me or one of the other mods. Those were manually cut and pasted from the ancient pre-vBulletin forums.

To change those, I've got to actually hack the database itself; I can't just change the author using vBulletin, unfortnately. I've been doing some database hacking to associate some old "guests" with their posts, but I haven't done much with the old, old reposted messages.

One thing too is that in the pre-vBulletin days, the Cyburbia Cafe (and its predecessor) got maybe 5% of the traffic it did now; if there was 20 posts in a day, things were booming.

Also watch your PM box.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Traffic counts data
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Dec 2007, 11:22 PM
  2. Traffic counts for dollar stores
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Aug 2006, 10:56 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Aug 2005, 7:16 PM