Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Merry Independence Day!

Registered
    Jan 2005

Merry Independence Day!

Wishing you all a merry, happy, barbecued, beer-swilling, firework combusting, brilliant specimen of a day. There's no special occasion for me today, north of the border, apart from cleaning the garage, but I do appreciate the celebratory feeling created this weekend due to its bookending with our respective national days (Friday being Canada Day).

On a side note: I've often wondered why the US media shows such animosity (albeit playful animosity, usually) towards France, when historically France has been very accomodating and kind towards the USA and it was Britain that America has been at odds with. Can anyone shed some light on this?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Yes, Happy Independence Day to all south of the border!

Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    On a side note: I've often wondered why the US media shows such animosity (albeit playful animosity, usually) towards France, when historically France has been very accomodating and kind towards the USA and it was Britain that America has been at odds with. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    I think this is quite a recent shift, say since the 1960's when France (largely) opted out of NATO, refused to allow U.S. troop delployments on its soil and forged its own, independent foreign policy and nuclear deterrent. Not allowing bombers raiding Libya in 1986 to fly over French airspace was probably icing on the cake. Contrast this with Britain, who since the end of WWII has played a large part in bridging the Europe-U.S. gap and being about the only ally able to fight alongside the U.S. in the cold war, middle east, etc. on relatively equal terms.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Independence, CA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 May 2009, 3:19 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 16 Jul 2008, 6:57 PM
  3. Secession and Independence Movements
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Aug 2007, 4:50 PM