Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Freedom Quotes

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Freedom Quotes

Happy day-before Independence Day !!!

Before jump-starting this thread, I searched the thread archive to see if there was already a FREEDOM QUOTES submission. Folks here at Cyburbialand like their quotes and certainly referenced them over the years, but no actual FREEDOM quotes as a single thread.

Note: Even though this thread is helping to celebrate the United States of America's Independence Day.....feel free to pop in quotes that celebrate the joys of freedom, anywhere in the world.

My first offering is not the complete quote, but enough to get an idea. It is from John Adams, the 2nd President of the United States.

"I believe that it (July 4) will be celebrated.....with bonfires and illuminations from one end of the continent to another."

"Free speech carries with it some freedom to listen." - Bob Marley

"I just wanna be free." - From a song by Chicago

"Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong." - John G. Riefenbaker

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    "Shine the light!" - Elton John Philadelphia Freedom

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    One of the two quotes in my husband's e-mail signature:

No man is free who is not master of himself... Is freedom anything else than the power of living as we choose?--Epictetus

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Because on my fair city's riverfront we have a Four Freedoms Monument;
    http://www.usi.edu/artdept/artinindi...rfreedoms.html
    Here is an excerpt from Franklin D. Roosevelt's Address to Congress, January 6th, 1941:

In the future days, which we seek to make secure, we look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms.

The first is freedom of speech and expression--everywhere in the world.

The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way--everywhere in the world.

The third is freedom from want--which, translated into world terms, means economic understandings which will secure to every nation a healthy peacetime life for its inhabitants-everywhere in the world.

The fourth is freedom from fear--which, translated into world terms, means a world-wide reduction of armaments to such a point and in such a thorough fashion that no nation will be in a position to commit an act of physical aggression against any neighbor--anywhere in the world.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

...It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion; that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from this earth.
    and, from the same author:

I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should be slaves, it should be first those who desire it for themselves, and secondly those who desire it for others. Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally. (Address to an Indiana Regiment, March 17, 1865)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Sep 2001
    A few mrom one of my favourite authors

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

"You can't enslave a free man. The only person who can do that is himself. The most you can do to a free man is to kill him."

Robert A Heinlein
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sustainable Freedom Lab dot org
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Jan 2013, 11:46 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Nov 2012, 4:26 PM
  3. Freedom Ranch
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 54
    Last post: 20 Jul 2010, 11:54 AM