Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Top 10 summer tourist destinations with the worst traffic delays

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Top 10 summer tourist destinations with the worst traffic delays

From TRIP (The Road Information Program):

“Are We There Yet? A Report on Summer Traffic Bottlenecks and Steps Needed to Ensure that Our Favorite Vacation Destinations Remain Accessible":
    http://www.tripnet.org/SummerTraffic...tudy063005.pdf

1. The Oregon Coast
    2. Tidewater region of Virginia
    3. Maryland/Delaware shore
    4. Branson, Mo.
    5. Outer Banks of North Carolina
    6. Cape Cod, Mass
    7. New Jersey shore
    The central New Jersey coastline provides beach goers with Atlantic
    Ocean beaches and various other attractions during the summer months.
    NJ SR 72 is one of the Jersey Shore’s mostcongested beach roads, providing the only access to Long Beach Island and its more than 16 beach areas.

8. Napa Valley, Calif
    9. Pennsylvania Dutch and Amish Country
    10. Catskill Mountains region in New York
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I cannot believe Gatlinburg, Tennessee is not on this list.

20. Acadia National Park, Maine: - Maybe we got lucky, but when we were there a few years ago, we had no trouble getting around

Registered
    Mar 2002
    This makes little sense to me. I live at the Oregon Coast, and gave been to all the other locales listed with the exception of Branson. Congestion here does not begin to compare with, say, the Tidewater area (where my parents live). On our worst days congestion on the coast is nowhere near as bad as a normal day in Northern Virginia. And we don't have the the three hour waits so common at the Bay Bridge to get to Delmarva.

Maybe I'm being a little defensive, but this is nuts.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Otis
    Maybe I'm being a little defensive, but this is nuts.
    Most lists like this are bogus; they're based on phony-baloney criteria.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I was in Branson over the weekend - bad idea. MO 76 sucks because it's 2-lane through town, the businesses aren't set back far enough to allow smooth movement of in and out traffic, and the City doesn't have any access management management practices in place.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Jammed vacation spots

I'd like to throw quite a bit of Northwest Michigan in there as well. T.C. and Petoskey can experience some serious gridlock at times during the summer. It's a no wonder these locations we seek out for their beauty, relaxation, and entertainment lifestyle are slowly being destroyed. The quality of life quality of life continues to decline as people scramble to obtain their second or third homes in these locations.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Agreed, Branson traffic stinks!!! As far as the Springfield, MO it is pretty bad as well for a town of its size. I guess they include the Branson traffic w/ Springfield. My time on the Oregon coast has never been too bad, nor in Amish Country PA. I have family in both places and never compared to Maryland or Branson. Don't know their criteria, but Oregon and Amish Country PA would not have made my top 10 list from my experiences... Shoot Yellowstone is starting to get worse than some of those places!!!

I guess we bring up the rear at #25 (east end of Long Island). From a year round population of 30,000 to a summer population of 300,000 only serviced by a two-lane road, I thought we'd be a little higher up!!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ablarc
    Most lists like this are bogus; they're based on phony-baloney criteria.
    Probably with a substantial "Who woulda thunk it" factor thrown in.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Well I see that Hwy 34 leading to Rocky Mountain National Park is not on the list. Makes sense I guess, compared to these other places, but now everyone will pick this desitination next summer, which means Z Man will be stuck behind belching diesel pushers from back east (sorry back easters) cruising slowly through town... Upsetting the social balance and unbalancing the Z Man's chi..
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We don't have consistent traffic delays over the entire summer, but it can get really bad around Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day here at the lake and near the Guadalupe RIver. This is mainly because the only way to access the lake is by two-lane farm-to-market highways. For example, coming home from Galveston after the cruise last Sunday, it took me 40 minutes to travel 3 miles along FM 306 just as you approach the lake. To travel from New Braunfels to my home, a drive that is normally 20 minutes, it took 1:15. The speed limit is 55, but I never got above 40 due to traffic. This is caused by weekend tourists from Houston and San Antonio bringing their boats (that they have no clue how to tow or drive and use only once a year ) or going tubing on the Guadalupe River and drowning stupidly from too much alcohol combined with a belief of being indestructable.

Can you guess how I feel about tourists???

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Interesting that Provo Canyon made the list. They list two sections, one which is not even in Provo Canyon. The portion they talk about near Helper is Spanish Fork Canyon. Helper is about 70 miles southeast of Provo Canyon and is not even remotely connected to it.

The bias is clearly built into the report, with AAA involved. I didn't read the whole thing, but I doubt there was any mention of summer destinations that have taken major steps to reduce congestion (tram system at Grand Canyon and Zion Canyon national parks).

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Vlaude
    Agreed, Branson traffic stinks!!! As far as the Springfield, MO it is pretty bad as well for a town of its size. I guess they include the Branson traffic w/ Springfield.
    Since Branson isn't about of the Springfield OTO, it's traffic isn't considered apart of Springfield's. That being said, and growing up in Springfield, it's not bad, just has a lot of impatient people. If you know the backroads, it's easy to get around.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm surprised Florida is nowhere on here. Come on...a two-lane road out to Sanibel that's always backed up. Fort Myers Beach...bottleneck 24/7/365. And though I've never been to St. Pete Beach, Clearwater Beach, Pensacola Beach, Miami Beach, et. al...it must be a b!tch getting around those places as well. Or is it because they are yearround destinations??
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Junk science. Yepper.

19. Presque Isle State Park, Pennsylvania:
    Located just north of Erie, Pa., Presque
    Isle State Park is a 3,200-acre peninsula
    that arches into Lake Erie. The park is
    reached by PA Route 832 or by boat.
    Presque Isle is a recreational destination
    for about four million visitors each year.
    That section of I-90 sucks year-round, expecially seeing how this is where semis carrying chemicals like to crash for some unknow reason.
    Last edited by Rumpy Tunanator; 09 Jul 2005 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    20. Acadia National Park, Maine: - Maybe we got lucky, but when we were there a few years ago, we had no trouble getting around
    There's construction on the only road into Bar Harbor, which is how you get to Acadia. It wasn't horrendous for us, since the season hadn't officially started, but it was bumper to bumper slow. With the season in full swing, it's gonna be bad!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Yep, the Oregon Coast is just one big bottleneck. Can't get anywhere. Stuck in traffic jams all summer long. I always enjoy reading the 'burbians take on these types of polls. I concur with the previous post about Sanibel Island & Fort Meyers. Holy sh!t, now that is a freakin' nightmare (for traffic, that is, not shelling, of course).

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I-75 and US-23 in Michigan on a friday evening from Detroit/Ann Arbor to Stangish.... ugh, had I known I would have looked for a cabin W of Ann Arbor.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'm surpised Cape Cod is so low on that list. Traffic is just so awful there in spots that I think it would take away from what is meant by "vacation."

Registered
    Mar 2004

Florida.....

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    I'm surprised Florida is nowhere on here. Come on...a two-lane road out to Sanibel that's always backed up. Fort Myers Beach...bottleneck 24/7/365. And though I've never been to St. Pete Beach, Clearwater Beach, Pensacola Beach, Miami Beach, et. al...it must be a b!tch getting around those places as well. Or is it because they are yearround destinations??
    Yes, there are several places in Florida that would/should qualify for this list.....

Clearwater should be taken off, except for possibly spring break. The City built a new traffic circle and that seems to be helping a lot over the old design from many years ago.....

Miami Beach- There are three main approaches and if any of them has an accident....LOOK OUT

But what about Key West during the high season (winter). That US 1 gets pretty bad.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Sep 2011, 4:08 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 Aug 2009, 7:29 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 10:50 AM
  4. election delays?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33