Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian Exodus to South Carloina...Are you scared??

Christian Exodus to South Carloina...Are you scared??

Christian Exodus to S Carloina...Are you scared??

Just read about this group in GQ. They are a group of fundamentalist Christians (Called the Christian Exodus, see link below) who are promoting the Idea that all fundamental "Bible " based Christians move to South Carolina and set up a huge voting block that can turn the state government (all three branches ) into a super right wing Christian based government.

What do you think? Does this scare you? Will this be attractive to future investors in the state? Does this make you want to move there or away form there.

http://christianexodus.org/

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think it's a great idea; I don't live in SC
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

This scares the $%$%# out of me!!! I live only 30 miles from the state line and the thought of Aytollaha Cristians running things is too much. And I am a Cristian.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Runner
    I think it's a great idea; I don't live in SC
    Well they are from Texas. I read through some of the website of the Christian Exodus and i am still trying to figure out why not South Dakota, North Dakota or some where with a smaller population base.

ChristianExodus.org is a non-profit corporation in the State of Texas. We have not applied for 501(c)3 status because it serves to muzzle organizations. Our mission is to glorify God through moral governance, and we will not be distracted by the issues that arise from 501(c)3 considerations. We believe that America suffers its current Godless state, because our churches have decided that their precious tax-deductible status is more important than preaching the Gospel as it regards ALL facets of life including civic responsibilities and politics. We refuse to fall prey to the same temptation
    It is kinda of weird because they are a non-profit in the State of Texas but refuse to file for 501 C 3 status because there concern that it "muzzles" them but the truth is reveled in there plan of action qouted below.

ChristianExodus.org is a non-profit corporation in the state of Texas. It has not filed for 501c status. Legal opinion suggests that it does not qualify for 501(c)(3) tax exemption due to political activity. ChristianExodus.org consists of a Board of Directors that operates under the guidelines of the corporation's charter and bylaws. The organization has no paid staff at this time.
    Intresting to say the least

This is the scariest part

If secession is effected in South Carolina, there will be a minority of unionists in the state. The under girding principle in a representative form of government is that majority rules. It then becomes the responsibility of the minority to relocate or change the policies of the state through the ballot box. It would be a great injustice to suggest that the preference of the minority ought to prevail over that of the majority.
    does this mean i'll need a pass port to go to myrtle beach???

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yeah it's scary but I've heard similar ideas before. It seems like an appealing strategy for splinter groups where they propose to concentrate their votes by having their followers move to one state, usually one with a low population like Wyoming or New Hamshire. I've yet to hear of any group ever actually succeeding to any degree in this endeavor.
    Oh, here's a link to a group of gun nuts who would like you to move to NH
    www.freestateproject.org
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    I heard about this a year ago - didn't realize the plans were still active. Scary - being a SC native.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    this won't go far, things like this never do...

but if the entire ultra-right wing fringe of the republican party was limited to 2 votes in the senate... i don't see how it could be a bad thing. As a moderate conservative, I would be outright thrilled.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If they're leaving Texas, then I'm excited!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2003
    So a couple of dingbats manage to get a 501c4 incorporation and website put up. How is that scary? The libertarian one seems much scarier to me as they actually appear to have some traction (although I'd still put their chances of succeeding at zilch and a half).

A year ago this would have been posted as a joke thread entitled "Why South Carloina is going to hell #23" or something. What's happened to this board that makes this kind of stuff "scary" now?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Sound like a right bunch of nutters to me

Classic though, in a way. Maybe all us planners could move to a state and have our own government too? (although I probably wouldn't get a green card )

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- All the EU planners could move to and take over Belgium.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb

A year ago this would have been posted as a joke thread entitled "Why South Carloina is going to hell #23" or something. What's happened to this board that makes this kind of stuff "scary" now?
    Year 5 of the Bush regime-and at least one Supreme Court retirement-makes these people less funny.

Quote Originally posted by steel
    Christian Exodus to S Carloina...Are you scared??

Just read about this group in GQ. They are a group of fundamentalist Christians (Called the Christian Exodus, see link below) who are promoting the Idea that all fundamental "Bible " based Christians move to South Carolina and set up a huge voting block that can turn the state government (all three branches ) into a super right wing Christian based government.

What do you think? Does this scare you? Will this be attractive to future investors in the state? Does this make you want to move there or away form there.
    They'll be needing a Wal-Mart.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    It scares the hell out of me because I'm from SC. There are already enough crazies here, so the thought of these folk (or any other group like them) looking for a place to "take over" and looking at SC and saying 'this seems like a great place' really bothers me. I thought that we were making great strides in the state .

But I don't think that much will come of it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ijustkrushalot
    this won't go far, things like this never do...
    Yeah, that is undoubtedly what the 80% of Germans who were not members of the Nazi party thought.

Registered
    May 2003
    This thread is done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails argumentsm.jpg  

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    This thread is done.

Waaaaahhh!

Need a tissure for your tears?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Why not have them populate a certain area and then de-annex from the Union...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Waaaaahhh!

Need a tissure for your tears?
    I doubt it...he was just invoking Godwin's Law.

As for the orginial topic: great...let all the fundies move there...it'll be easier to bomb them, if necessary.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman

As for the orginial topic: great...let all the fundies move there...it'll be easier to bomb them, if necessary.
    People forget, they won't just stay there. According to Soon-to-be Florida State Representative Randall Terry, they are "Called to Dominion"

First South Carolina, then Georgia, then NC, then, eventually...Massachusettes!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    This thread is done.
    Oops. Sorry.

But, now my diabolical plot to root out all political discussions in Cyburbia is finally working. Someone should have explained this whole Godwin's Law thing to me sooner.

Bwahahahaha.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    ..then, eventually...Massachusettes!
    OMG...they'll spread all the way to France....they should be stopped as soon as possible.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    OMG...they'll spread all the way to France....they should be stopped as soon as possible.
    Darn it....How can I be expected to spell correctly without an automatic spellchecker built into vBase?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    he he, yeah, I got that.

Mine was a comment on the petulant nature of the post in general. Did you know Swiss cheese goes well with whine?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    he he, yeah, I got that.

Mine was a comment on the petulant nature of the post in general. Did you know Swiss cheese goes well with whine?
    I think jordanb was just poking fun at me because it is kind of amusing that I am about twice his age and not half as politically savvy -- but my social skills are still better and I'm prettier.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Scared of change!
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 04 Jul 2011, 5:29 AM
  2. Boomers Exodus
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 01 Mar 2010, 8:20 AM
  3. Are you scared to fly?