Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Backlog of site plan reviews survival tips: helpful online tools

Registered
    Aug 2001

Backlog of site plan reviews survival tips: helpful online tools

I have three site plan reviews to complete this week. Busy, busy, busy. All have architectural plans. Great stuff. But I came across a new word that I never knew before, "coping." I had to figure that one out. I am chained to my desk in my cubicle. Deadlines. So I Googled, "illustrated online architectural dictionary," and of all the possible links returned, this one seemed the best: The Urban Conservation Glossary. Not every definition has an image, but I didn't need a picture to understand coping. Nice tool, I think I'll bookmark it.

What other online tools have you used to help with your reviews?

As another example, I did a Google image search this morning to help with a landscape plan. The engineer designed an area with hostas. I don't know what they look like. But Google helped me. I've seen those plants before... landscape plan is recommended for approval!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    On an average week I review 3-8 site plans for administrative approval. Our turn around is generally 3-10 days and developers still complain that we hold them up.

I frequently use google to verfiy plant types and species and appropriateness.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    I frequently use google to verfiy plant types and species and appropriateness.
    Yeah, isn't that cool?!! I think Google rocks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Google has a handy tool that I only recently discovered. It is used for coming up with a set of definitions and is more handy for zoning terms than a dictionary. You type "define: term to be defined". (don't use quotation marks)

For example, type:
    define: setback

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The University of Connecticut has an excellent (and very comprehensive) online database of trees, shrubs, and vines. I use it frequently when reviewing landscaping plans for new developments. The link is:
    www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/index.html

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I haven't actually used it for site plan review questions yet, but recently I found answers.com and have been loving them. Basically, you type in whatever you have a question about and it gives you a list of FAQ-types and the corresponding answer. It also gives links, like google, but I like it much better for specific questions.

EDIT: I just went there and typed in coping. It gave me a basic definition and then asked if the word I was looking for was related to architecture. Clicking on that gives me sketches, definitions, and more!! Love it, love it, love it!!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Online reviews
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Oct 2012, 10:22 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Apr 2009, 2:03 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Apr 2009, 11:40 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Jan 2008, 11:23 AM