Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Estimating sales tax revenue for incoming businesses

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Estimating sales tax revenue for incoming businesses

Does anyone here know where I can find out how much a particular business generates in taxable sales? I'm helping our Finance Director with revenue estimates for a couple of new businesses set to open very early in the fiscal year. Specifically, I'm trying to find out about Tractor Supply Company and The Home Depot. I tried digging through their investor relations handbooks, but could not find an estimates of sales subject to state/local sales tax or an estimate of sales tax payments.

I figure some of you that conduct economic impact studies might have some good resources for this kind of information.

Thanks!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2002

Its easy in Massachusetts

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Does anyone here know where I can find out how much a particular business generates in taxable sales? I'm helping our Finance Director with revenue estimates for a couple of new businesses set to open very early in the fiscal year. Specifically, I'm trying to find out about Tractor Supply Company and The Home Depot. I tried digging through their investor relations handbooks, but could not find an estimates of sales subject to state/local sales tax or an estimate of sales tax payments.

I figure some of you that conduct economic impact studies might have some good resources for this kind of information.

Thanks!
    Well around here the answer would be..... $0. Unless its a hotel there are no local sales taxes. All you get is additional property tax. And yet still communities want big box. Its interesting that this is true, when fiscal determinism would say that the interest in big boxes would be lower here than in, say, California.

But what I would do if I worked somewhere else would be to estimate sales from square feet- I think there are some basic standards for sales that way.

I know Wal-Mart and other big box stores like to keep their sales numbers top secret, but Home Depot has it listed: "...sales in each store averaging over $40 million..." http://www.homedepot.ca/escalate/sto...atic_storeopps

Unlike Income Tax, the sales tax would not be listed in the financial reports. You just have to look at the total sales and do your guesstimates from there.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    We get this question pretty often and it really is difficult to answer because there are so many variables involved.

Average retail sales per square foot generally range between $200 - $400 annually. Malls are different than strip centers; and both are different than a Walmart. That variation is the very reason why market research companies make so much money - they analyze your specific situation. They also keep their results tightly held.

Having said that - gross sales are generally within the range noted above.

FWIW, my community recently completed an impact study and we used $250 per square foot for retail sales.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Hey,

After quickly browsing the net I found this seemingly useful resource. http://www.bizstats.com/spf1.htm

Based on their info, in 2003 a Home Depot generated $370 per square foot (just over $40 million per store).

I don't know how credible this site is, but the info seems to correspond with my info in the post above (ie it is in the same general range).

Good luck with your tractor sales

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Don't forget sales transfer! When any new store opens, a portion of the sales it will realize are sales whic hhave been transferred from other retailers already in the marketplace. Guessing how much is more art than science, and largely depends on the rate of population growth in the market. Ken Stone did a study of Home Depot in Missouri. The results showed that nearly all of the sales at a new store were transfered, nut like his Wal-Mart studies, this one focused on slow-growth rural places.

That all said...

A typical Lowe's does about $33 million. A typical Home Depot does about $40 million.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Don't forget sales transfer! When any new store opens, a portion of the sales it will realize are sales whic hhave been transferred from other retailers already in the marketplace. Guessing how much is more art than science, and largely depends on the rate of population growth in the market.

Cardinal,
    Aren't there some generic yardsticks for retail cachement areas that would be a first step in sorting out the cannibalization of sales by new entrants into a market? (x,000 people per big box, x00 people per dry cleaner, etc) If so, could someone post a referrence or link?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 159
    Last post: 28 Apr 2011, 10:05 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 5:18 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 2009, 9:04 PM
  4. Code enforcement revenue
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 2:47 PM