Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Word "Walk" discriminatory????

Registered
    Jun 2004

The Word "Walk" discriminatory????

I am in the process of renting out my townhome from my days of singleton. So i submitted an ad online to the local paper that read

Walk to Downtown XXXXXX
    Close to Hwy XXX
    2 Bed Rm 1.5 Bath
    Townhouse
    Fridge, DW, W&D
    Central Air and Heat
    $300 Deposit $575 per Month
    Call XXX-XXXX or XXX-XXXX

here is the response

Your classified ad has been received and approved. Thank you for your business! My name is Xxxxxx Xxxxxxm I am a Classified Sales Rep here at the Local Daily Paper, (XXX) XXX-XXXX. I did change the first word of your ad (walk to close) so your ad reads close to Downtown. We cannot use the word " walk" due to this being discriminatory towards handicapped people. Everything else seeemed fine. The ad will start on 7/9 and end on 7/10. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to give me a call at the number above. Thanks for your business.
    What is the deal? When did walk become a discriminatory word? Did i miss something? What does Cyburbia think?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    What is the deal? When did walk become a discriminatory word? Did i miss something? What does Cyburbia think?
    It's obviously cruel to people in wheelchairs and similar. While we are on the topic, I would like to ban the word "breathe" from Cyburbia because I don't do that so well and it pains me to be constantly reminded that most folks take this whole breathing thing completely for granted. I think it is awful that you people are not more considerate of my pain.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    You shouldn't be able to put a phone number because that's discriminatory towards people who can't hear.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This is all assuming the person is literate, as well. Discrimination!

This should be immediately translated to dolphin, also, should one of our sea-bound friends desire to rent your flat. I mean... click click click sqeek!

In any case - cheap rent! I'd love to pay that for my accomodations. If only.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    And yet, I wonder if that place was an upper-level flat that can only be gotten into via a stairwell, would they then refuse your ad entirely?

(Gotta love political correctness!!!)

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I would also like to say: What is up with this whole charging MONEY for the place??? There are poor people who can't pay that much, doncha know. In fact, the people who need this place the most -- homeless folks -- can't afford that at all. <rant continues for 27 pages...>

Off-topic:
    When I was at the APA conference in San Francisco, there was this developer from San Diego who built a building in the downtown area and made the building available to folks who worked downtown to promote a walkable community. A member of the audience asked how in heck he got away with that. He said "I will tell you what my lawyer told me: Suburbanites are NOT a protected class of people." The audience cracked up.

I think that was my favorite line from the entire conference.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Just face the fact that you are a slumlord piece of phesies out to profit unecissarily from the hardwork of the people. Once you understand this, you will obviously understand how you are being unfair to criple.....I mean handicaped individuals.

You must realize that you are just profiteering from the unnecessary luck of having spare property. At least the newspaper has your best legal interests at heart and has done a marvelous job of preventing you from being sued by a bunch of helmet wearing, speach slured, drooling criple.... I mean differently abled individuals.

If you come to the pub just around the corner up 29 steps I will sell you a 40 ounce mini pitcher of Miller High Life for $4 and we can commiserate on our desire to get ahead!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Well, I talked to the ad lady, i mean ad person and intended to stay nice and calm and get my ad where the context was the same because i don't think changing walk to close is the same. She had all kind of sugestions but it was more lines and more money. So i pointed out that she was exploiting the handicapped to milk more money from me and i went on to ask if she was even going to run the ad or the paper for that matter because it was discrimatory to the illiterate or if i was going to have to pay more to get it translated to the four other secondary langauges that are prominate in this area in addittion to braile. Needless to say i am awaiting a call from the publisher but i will probably have to give in to the tyranty of the paper and their protection of the people they choose to protect and just accept that i am a white hetrosexual middleclass christian male and that makes me discrimatory by default.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    ... just accept that i am a white hetrosexual middleclass christian male...
    Isn't that a minority class by itself yet ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

If you were here in the States, I would suggest that the publication is probably taking the publisher's notice requirements under the Federal Fair Housing Act a little too seriously. As it is Canada, eh, I can't say much, but in the US it is illegal, for example, to advertise a preference (e.g., "Adult Only" violates the familial status clause of the Act), but proximity or -- in your case -- walkability, is probably a little over the top, IMO. Note, however, that the publication is entitled to refuse advertising that fails to meet the Act and is liable if the advertising is found to be in violation. (Fair Housing advocates, BTW, would seek redress from the paper and the landlord, typically in Federal Court.) Better safe than sorry, you know?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    If you were here in the States, I would suggest that the publication is probably taking the publisher's notice requirements under the Federal Fair Housing Act a little too seriously. As it is Canada, eh, I can't say much, but in the US it is illegal, for example, to advertise a preference (e.g., "Adult Only" violates the familial status clause of the Act), but proximity or -- in your case -- walkability, is probably a little over the top, IMO. Note, however, that the publication is entitled to refuse advertising that fails to meet the Act and is liable if the advertising is found to be in violation. (Fair Housing advocates, BTW, would seek redress from the paper and the landlord, typically in Federal Court.) Better safe than sorry, you know?
    It was my impression that unless you owned/rented more than three units that you do not have to comply with the Federal Fair Housing Act. Private landlords that only own one property/unit can rent to whomever they chose. Could someone enlighten me, please?

Good luck on this! It has always bothered me when people try to be overly PC. Maybe you could use this phrase: "Close walk/wheel/limp/segway/crawl to downtown".

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm will the ad be published in braile too? if not that's discrimination against those who can't see!!!

It's not the same to have your streets without curb cuts and public buildings without handicap acces to use the word walk on a housing ad.... the first IS discrimination and the second, is ridiculous to call it discrimination....

Registered
    May 2005
    This is insane! Before long we won't be able to do or say anything. We are becoming such a soft society.
    Regrets, I've had a few; But then again, too many to mention.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    It's obviously cruel to people in wheelchairs and similar. While we are on the topic, I would like to ban the word "breathe" from Cyburbia because I don't do that so well and it pains me to be constantly reminded that most folks take this whole breathing thing completely for granted. I think it is awful that you people are not more considerate of my pain.

I would like to ban all references to sports and athletic activities, as I am completely and congenitally unathletic (as well as overindulgent in the food realm, so no more m'kis posts about uberfitness and hot babes, either)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Somewhere between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    It was my impression that unless you owned/rented more than three units that you do not have to comply with the Federal Fair Housing Act. Private landlords that only own one property/unit can rent to whomever they chose. Could someone enlighten me, please?
    You're right Jaxspra. According to http://www.fairhousinglaw.org:

The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DC Librarian
    You're right Jaxspra. According to http://www.fairhousinglaw.org:

The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.
    Thanks, I thought that was the case. I did discrimatory testing for a local group around here and when I took the classes to do the testing we learned who was a protected class, etc. and I thought one on the things they taught us was that landlords of less than 3 (or 4) units were not subject to this law.

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Thanks, I thought that was the case. I did discrimatory testing for a local group around here and when I took the classes to do the testing we learned who was a protected class, etc. and I thought one on the things they taught us was that landlords of less than 3 (or 4) units were not subject to this law.
    The key phrase in the FHA is "Owner Occupied" - a tri-plex or four-plex that is not the owner's primary domicile is subject to the Act.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Stop The Insanity !!!

Sorry, folks, but this insanity has to stop. Together you have joined forces to discriminate "in theory" to those that are handicapped, blind, deaf, dumb, sure plays a mean pinball.....er....sorry, wrong thread.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Sorry, folks, but this insanity has to stop. Together you have joined forces to discriminate "in theory" to those that are handicapped, blind, deaf, dumb, sure plays a mean pinball.....er....sorry, wrong thread.

Bear
    You left out furry. We are discriminating against furry people too. Notice that although we want braille and Dolphin translations, no one is asking for a translation into Bear-ese.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    ..., no one is asking for a translation into Bear-ese.
    Sorry MZ, you didn't get it - should be Yooper-talk.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You left out furry. We are discriminating against furry people too. Notice that although we want braille and Dolphin translations, no one is asking for a translation into Bear-ese.

Urk. When I saw the reference to "furry people" it brought some horrific, non-work-safe images to mind.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I'm sorry. That does not compute. Please submit a translation in "Michelese". Thank you. Danke. Merci. Spasibo. Etc.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Yaa, ya leff oud da furry pard. Doncha know dat at da fish camp, ehhh, you noze, da camp out dere past da Marquette Mall and dose places, ya know.....we Yoopers will be doin dat discriminwhatchallit ting to da furry peoples, yaa......we don't cater to dose dere bumps on da pad by da bank thing, ya noze, 'cause dey be for dose dat can't see.....ya knows, like my Cousin Eno, from up dere at Negaunee......you noze, by da post office and the little tavern, yaa, that sells dem good pasties, ya......

Bear In Need Of A Lobotomy
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Urk. When I saw the reference to "furry people" it brought some horrific, non-work-safe images to mind.
    Put the mouse down and step away from the pron!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Dec 2008, 5:34 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last post: 20 Jan 2005, 11:32 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2003, 11:02 AM
  4. A symposium on the "f" word
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 62