Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Did we deserve it?London 2012 Olympics

Registered
    Jun 2005

Did we deserve it?London 2012 Olympics

Too right we did! Congratulations to London in hosting the 2012 Olympic Games. Watch out for the biggest and most exciting planning and regeneration projects ever to take place in the world starting from today! It will completely transform one of the most deprived areas in western Europe into a buzzing new urban area with sport at the heart of its community. I lived in an area of Manchester when the city hosted the 2002 Commonwealth Games (mini Olympics) and the positive impact it had on the its people and the area was phenomenal.

so cheers London, mines a

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by pommyplanner
    Too right we did! Congratulations to London in hosting the 2012 Olympic Games. Watch out for the biggest and most exciting planning and regeneration projects ever to take place in the world starting from today! It will completely transform one of the most deprived areas in western Europe into a buzzing new urban area with sport at the heart of its community. I lived in an area of Manchester when the city hosted the 2002 Commonwealth Games (mini Olympics) and the positive impact it had on the its people and the area was phenomenal.

so cheers London, mines a
    Blargh.

No, London definitely DID NOT deserve to get such a crass, scandal-plagued, dysfunctional event and organization foisted on it. I hope they make it out better than poor Athens.

But, speaking from a two-time losing bid city I'm not bitter at all. Really.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Enjoy it while you can. The time during the 2002 Winter Olympics was incredible. What it did for Salt Lake is remarkable. Good luck, it is all you will hear about for the next 7 years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    i'm just satisfied that new york didn't get it, though i would have loved having all of the soccer matches played so close to my house.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RadioAgony
    i'm just satisfied that new york didn't get it, though i would have loved having all of the soccer matches played so close to my house.
    New York was never going to get it with all that squabbling, although i think anyone of the cities could of done a good job, with the exception of Moscow (i hope i don't offend any Russians). The French were typically arrogant, but i must say i feel for them because they been close runners 3 times now and must be thinking what more could they of done. I think the cheesing of tony blair and david beckam helped us in the final stages. Although i do believe we were the only bid which had a lasting legacy for generations to come and more importantly 'X' factor. eg. soccer at wembley, tennis at wimbledon, rowing at henley, showjumping at buckingham palace, all world renowned venues. There’s even going to have baseball at the home of world cricket, Lords! that’ll rub up the traditional conservative cricket lobby up the wrong way!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well that is what Trump getsfor having his second choice apprentice host one of the events....
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Putting aside my usual parochialism, I'm well chuffed, me.

It's good to beat the French at something worthwhile too. It's been a long time since Trafalgar

I understand that the New York bid was derailed following arguments over the location of the main stadium, and that Moscow wasn't strong enough despite the best efforts of Alexander Popov. Madrid were the 'dark horses' but seemed to just lose out.

Do feel a little sorry for the French, but maybe Chirac should keep his opinions to himself now. Haven't they got the World Athletics Championship soon? They also had the World Cup (football) in 1998, so can't really grumble.

Apparently the people of Madrid cheered when London won, as well as booing the name of Paris (which I find childishly amusing).

Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    Well that is what Trump getsfor having his second choice apprentice host one of the events....
    That is exactly what I was thinking!

Only, you beat me to it....

Registered
    May 2003
    Congrats.. I guess.

I don't really understand why Paris, New York, and London all wanted the JO. No city has ever made money from it, with the exception of Los Angeles their second time around because they reused an old stadium. The only possible benefit is increased tourism, and I can see how that would help a city like Salt Lake or Barcelona, or even Atlanta, but those are the three most popular cities in the world with the tourists. The law of diminishing returns applies. How can such an expensive advertisement possibly be worth it for cities that already have such a high profile?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Has Chicago ever bid? I think we would be a great spot for the Olympics.

Many big sports arena, sufficient public transit, diverse populous, Lake Michigan, etc.

I can see Daly brewing for 2016...if he makes it that far.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    May 2003
    They don't want existing facilities for the Olympics, generally. LA got away with it because they were the only bidder. Also they want everything built to spec, in one location. Chicago would have trouble finding areas with enough land, unless they bulldozed active but stagnant industrial areas (unlikely) or went down and used Lake Calumet or something.

NYC was going to use the port of Brooklyn, IIRC.

Chicago was supposed to host the olympics in 1904 olympics, but St. Louis got it instead (just as well.. it flopped).

Like I said, I see little utility in the OG.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Congrats.. I guess.

How can such an expensive advertisement possibly be worth it for cities that already have such a high profile?
    There are many benefits for London specifically, 3 things: an improved transport system and much needed sporting facilities and social infrastructure. The UK government has invested little in both transport and sport in the last 20 years and as a result, we are lagging behind many of the worlds developed countries. God knows what we would of done if we hadn't got it, continued to have poor investment in these areas. But importantly social infrastructure in east London, parts of it are very deprived and many people are unemployed with high drug rates and health problems. this will be where the biggest different will be and impact from the Olympics, giving the young generation a chance to really make it life without falling into the trap of relative poverty and its associated problems. I witnessed first hand the effect such an prestigious sports event and all that goes with it has on people in deprived areas, in Manchester, which has experienced such a rejuvenation (i even wrote my degree dissertation on it!)

and yes it does cost billions, but i think the lasting benefit for these people will outstrip the short term costs

Ps. i am not on the London bid team by the way, although many maybe suspicious!

Interesting that the sports books started lowering the odds on London and raising them on gay Paree just a few days ago. Wonder how they got word of that...hmmmm.

Of course Chirac should have kept his franco-mouth shut: comparing cuisine with trustworthiness? Seriously? No wonder we Americans have such disdain for the freedoms -- oooops, I mean french.

jordanb: news reports are stating that Salt Lake made in excess of $100m profit hosting the winter games and other recent games have been profitable to the host cities as well.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Smaller Cities

I think the WO should be held in mid sized to smaller cities and the SO still needs to be held in large cities (1mil +). Salt Lake 2002 was GREAT! Based on that experience, I would consider going to another winter games in the US or Canada in the future.

London for the SO, why not.....I think Amsterdam would have been great, no need to import extra hookers.......at least there will be plenty to drink in London
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2004

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm kind of glad New York didn't get the games. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about NYC all the time and how much they have bounced back from 9/11. I think all of the bickering really cost them with the IOC. London had just too much going for it with its venues and history.

I'm also excited that Paris didn't get it either since I really don't like the arrogant French. I think the games in Madrid would have been nice as well and hope they push again for a future games. I think Moscow would have been plagued by similar problems as Athens with cutting it close on logistics and construction.

I think the real great thing about the London games has to be the venues though.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Good luck and congrats. From a resident of the state that got the olympics, but didn't want it! (Reference: Denver 1976 Winter olympics)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think it was a good choice. London's a great city and probably will have great facilities for the games and the financial resources to pull it all off. Madrid is a great place, but since Barcelona just had the games in the 1990s, it probably wasn't going to get it... someday. As for Paris, who knows why they weren't selected? They were considered the clear front runner.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup....

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Good luck and congrats. From a resident of the state that got the olympics, but didn't want it! (Reference: Denver 1976 Winter olympics)
    Zman, mark your calendar
    At least Vail/Beaver Creek still hosts some alpine skiing world cup events:

MENS
    December Races
    01/12/05 Beaver Creek USA Downhill
    02/12/05 Beaver Creek USA Super G
    03/12/05 Vail USA Giant Slalom
    04/12/05 Vail USA Slalom

Canada only gets two mens races:
    26/11/05 Lake Louise CAN Downhill
    27/11/05 Lake Louise CAN Super G

WOMENS
    02/12/05 Lake Louise CAN Downhill
    03/12/05 Lake Louise CAN Downhill
    04/12/05 Lake Louise CAN Super G

09/12/05 Aspen USA Super G
    10/12/05 Aspen USA Giant Slalom
    11/12/05 Aspen USA Slalom
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Zman, mark your calendar
    At least Vail/Beaver Creek still hosts some alpine skiing world cup events:

MENS
    December Races
    01/12/05 Beaver Creek USA Downhill
    02/12/05 Beaver Creek USA Super G
    03/12/05 Vail USA Giant Slalom
    04/12/05 Vail USA Slalom

Canada only gets two mens races:
    26/11/05 Lake Louise CAN Downhill
    27/11/05 Lake Louise CAN Super G

WOMENS
    02/12/05 Lake Louise CAN Downhill
    03/12/05 Lake Louise CAN Downhill
    04/12/05 Lake Louise CAN Super G

09/12/05 Aspen USA Super G
    10/12/05 Aspen USA Giant Slalom
    11/12/05 Aspen USA Slalom
    Did you know Beaver Creek was built for the 1976 olympics? The skiing event were going to be held there. Also now razed McNichols Arena was built for the Olympics too.

Yes, 'tis true we have world class skiing, and host world class skiing events here! I love watching those races!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    2012? Heck... that's way into the future.... It's been only 1 year since the 2004 Athens Olympics and the Beijing 2008 still has a few years to be ready... and people are thinking in 2012? Well, what about Santiago 2032?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

ny olympics

Just think what the taxpayers won't have to face. Grants from state of NY.They
    won't have to deal with floating all those bonds, the eminant domain fights. Another reason to expand ths Javitts Center. Of course the Jets will still be trying to find a way to get a new taxpayers financed stadium.

Registered
    Nov 2004

Congrats from a neighbour.

I think its a bonus for Ireland as well.

I'm delighted that London got the Olympics, although I have no beef with the French (poitively adore the place and them in fact) I think that the Hackney area of London will benefit immeasurably from the regeneration proposals. Its such a huge area, that only something as large as the olympics could actually fill it. That or a new boeing factory.

Tourists who go to England for the Olympics will probably stay and see some of the rest of Europe. This means more visitors to Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and my neck of the woods.

It also makes it easier for me to go over to London and see the games. That said it is seven years away! Still fair dues to the London team, they were dead in the water 6 months ago. I wonder it the Finnish Group had the casting vote? considering Jacques Chirac's comments, it would be a delicious irony. delicious geddit!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    The infrastructure that was put into place for the Salt Lake games were the biggest benefit to the area. Light rail, rebuilt freeway, better traffic management, increased high tec infrastructure; etc. We also had enough money left over to keep the venues operating (with the exception of the peaks ice arena in provo, which was never intended to function past the games) for at least 30 years. I think it is easier to make money from a winter games because most of the venues are in place, the sites don't have to be as large (fewer people go the winter games) and the overall operating costs are lower. Plus, it helps that your security is paid for by the federal govt.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    The infrastructure that was put into place for the Salt Lake games were the biggest benefit to the area.
    You're right about that. But it's not like the IOC is fronting the money for that infrastructure. It all comes out of local sources. Really all the Olympics does is provide a big, high profile deadline that cuts through local red tape to Get Things Done. Really it's a shame that government can't be so effective unless it's put up against such a thing.

Plus, it helps that your security is paid for by the federal govt.
    Yeah, getting into Uncle Sam's pocket book is one big advantage for an American city hosting the games, but London is already receiving the full focus of their federal (UK) government anyway.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 51
    Last post: 12 Aug 2013, 5:16 PM
  2. Teh 2012 London Olympic Games thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 104
    Last post: 13 Aug 2012, 5:16 PM
  3. London 2012 Olympics logo
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 08 Jun 2007, 8:29 AM